Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchasse View Post
I saw the original entry on this post that they were planning on coming to Jacksonville in 2009. I was speaking to a store manager in CA back in 2007 and he said they were exploring it back then. I am sure the economy killed that idea.

I am a bit surprised they open the first store at the southwestern end of Florida as it makes their transportation costs pretty high to get their stuff there. However, I am thrilled to see this. I hope they come to Jax. My wife moved here from LA and always shopped there, and I loved going there when I visited her. We would both love it if they came.
More stores are opening next year supposedly. The South Florida area (a few), Tampa Bay (a couple), Orlando and Jacksonville are in the works. The parent company which also owns Aldi, has a distribution center in Haines City already operating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:04 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
More stores are opening next year supposedly. The South Florida area (a few), Tampa Bay (a couple), Orlando and Jacksonville are in the works. The parent company which also owns Aldi, has a distribution center in Haines City already operating.
kyle, have you heard some definite plans right from the company? I have heard from a lot of sources that Sarasota will have one by the end of next year, but haven't heard anything beyond that other than they will open maybe 5 stores across Florida for now.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:40 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
kyle, have you heard some definite plans right from the company? I have heard from a lot of sources that Sarasota will have one by the end of next year, but haven't heard anything beyond that other than they will open maybe 5 stores across Florida for now.
I have heard from an inside source. Trader Joe's is committed to expansion here and needed sufficient distribution infrastructure in which to pull it off. My understanding is that they're piggy-backing distribution with parent company Aldi. The openings are being handled conservatively not on a wait and see basis because they're worried about sales, rather to grow their logistics efficiently.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
It is such a secretive company, you won't know until you see a sign with "coming soon" on it.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
It is such a secretive company, you won't know until you see a sign with "coming soon" on it.
I know, it's frustrating - you'd think they would want to announce things in advance!

Kyle, that's interesting that they are piggy-backing with ALDI distribution. So they DO work together after all. While I have never been to a Trader Joe's, I do shop occasionally at ALDI, and I would bet anything a few of ALDI products are same/similar to some at TJ. I have found some organic things at ALDI, albeit not much. Wonder why they started with Naples of all places?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:40 AM

I never knew they worked together. I know the brothers split the Aldi company back in the 70s into Nord and Sud. One owns Trader Joe's, the other one Aldi's in the US. Maybe since one of the brothers passed and the other one retired, they've started bring the two segments back together.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I know, it's frustrating - you'd think they would want to announce things in advance!

Kyle, that's interesting that they are piggy-backing with ALDI distribution. So they DO work together after all. While I have never been to a Trader Joe's, I do shop occasionally at ALDI, and I would bet anything a few of ALDI products are same/similar to some at TJ. I have found some organic things at ALDI, albeit not much. Wonder why they started with Naples of all places?
Lot's of rich old retired people live in Naples.(like my mother and father)
Good rule for businesses, go where the money is.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,828 times
Trader Joes... Last time I visited one was when visiting family near the Marietta, GA store. My first experience with the chain was back in the CA Bay Area where I wold drive by the Campbell, CA store and it became nearly a daily staple, I'd spend about $50-75 a week there (this included lunch about 4-5 times a week). Loved it!

Funny, I've lived in Naples, too and TJ's, Whole Foods (which I visited less often, spending maybe $5-10 a week), were both missed. And I think that may be one of the reasons TJ's may be targeting Naples: as far as I am aware, there isn't much competition, it's a much smaller market but it a greater number of bigger spenders as well European Real Estate investors/homeowners making the jump to the States, which means greener pockets all around. When I there, it did have somewhat of a West Coast flavor (with a ton more humidity!), os that may have been another deciding factor. I know I'd have been one of their regular shoppers/promoters there for sure!

Now I'm in the Jacksonville side of FL, so I'd welcome them here too of course. I shop at Whole Foods occasionally and average about $5-20 per month there (somehow it does not have the same homey appeal of TJ's and so much of what you want is simply too costly).

What (I feel) TJ's brings to the table is a very high quality / value selection and I remember on special occasions I would have an impromptu "taste test" when small snack items would arrive at the store and that's literally how I'd end up with new "must have" items in my hand-basket..lol! :0)

Genuine people, fair prices, creatively described monthly special deals, and a great selection of very tasty and healthy items (I just don't remember ever getting their pre-packed produce). I say for them to continue playing their cards right -- if they choose Jax, I would welcome them here and be their regular shopper again.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 AM

I think most only know Trader Joe's by the cult like following it has. I've really seen people go ape**** when learning one would be coming to Charlotte.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbone View Post
Trader Joes... Last time I visited one was when visiting family near the Marietta, GA store. My first experience with the chain was back in the CA Bay Area where I wold drive by the Campbell, CA store and it became nearly a daily staple, I'd spend about $50-75 a week there (this included lunch about 4-5 times a week). Loved it!

Funny, I've lived in Naples, too and TJ's, Whole Foods (which I visited less often, spending maybe $5-10 a week), were both missed. And I think that may be one of the reasons TJ's may be targeting Naples: as far as I am aware, there isn't much competition, it's a much smaller market but it a greater number of bigger spenders as well European Real Estate investors/homeowners making the jump to the States, which means greener pockets all around. When I there, it did have somewhat of a West Coast flavor (with a ton more humidity!), os that may have been another deciding factor. I know I'd have been one of their regular shoppers/promoters there for sure!

Now I'm in the Jacksonville side of FL, so I'd welcome them here too of course. I shop at Whole Foods occasionally and average about $5-20 per month there (somehow it does not have the same homey appeal of TJ's and so much of what you want is simply too costly).

What (I feel) TJ's brings to the table is a very high quality / value selection and I remember on special occasions I would have an impromptu "taste test" when small snack items would arrive at the store and that's literally how I'd end up with new "must have" items in my hand-basket..lol! :0)

Genuine people, fair prices, creatively described monthly special deals, and a great selection of very tasty and healthy items (I just don't remember ever getting their pre-packed produce). I say for them to continue playing their cards right -- if they choose Jax, I would welcome them here and be their regular shopper again.
OK, what I don't understand (after reading several posts about this) is why they would supposedly be going after the uber-wealthy markets. I thought they are a discount type of organic store, so if people have a lot of wealth, why would they need discount - isn't Whole Foods and other gourmet stores good enough? It would seem like tj would target college towns or something, but Naples??????

As I said, It has all but been confirmed that Sarasota (where I currently live) will be getting one by the end of next year - like Naples, Sarasota has a lot of wealthy people, plus Whole Foods, a flagship Publix, Fresh Market, independent gourmet and health markets, etc. so for the relatively small population it is saturated. The only thing is, like Naples, it will draw from several counties and all the visitors that come here each year.

Strangely though, in other states, TJ's hasn't seemed to be that picky about the cities it has located in - in other words, they are located in plenty of cities that aren't super wealthy. So they seem to be holding Florida to a higher standard or something. I did read an article about their expansion in Florida and Texas where it was said that they would only do a few in Florida for now, with their major expansion in Texas. Not sure why, but guessing it has something to do with getting their distribution worked out.

I have never been to one of these stores, I am guessing I would like it, but would not be one of the "cult-like" fans - I just have so many options right now to get anything I want or need. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville