Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times

Advertisements

Just a heads up, we found out this week that our roof received substantial damage from the hail that we were not aware of.

We should of know that with the amount of damage our cars that were parked in the driveway received ( over $8k)the house might of taken a hit too.

It was called to our attention when 4 houses in the neighborhood had new roofs installed in the last 2 weeks .

So I asked the roofing contractor to take a look at ours.
Sure enough the hail stripped the asphalt from the roof shingles. This will lead to the shingles drying out in the heat and cracking which will lead to leaks. The insurance appraiser comes tomorrow.

So if you received hail you might want to have your roof checked because if all of a sudden you start having leaks next fall after the summer heat you may have a problem getting a claim through after such a long delay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
A great "heads up" - thanks K with a K

Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 AM

702 posts, read 2,184,717 times
Thank you so much for posting this info! At what point on average did it take those with leaks to notice? Also, what portion of home owner's would cover this?

Sorry , this is my first home.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Just a heads up, we found out this week that our roof received substantial damage from the hail that we were not aware of.

We should of know that with the amount of damage our cars that were parked in the driveway received ( over $8k)the house might of taken a hit too.

It was called to our attention when 4 houses in the neighborhood had new roofs installed in the last 2 weeks .

So I asked the roofing contractor to take a look at ours.
Sure enough the hail stripped the asphalt from the roof shingles. This will lead to the shingles drying out in the heat and cracking which will lead to leaks. The insurance appraiser comes tomorrow.

So if you received hail you might want to have your roof checked because if all of a sudden you start having leaks next fall after the summer heat you may have a problem getting a claim through after such a long delay.
Karla, please do me a favor and get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion (and quote) from a reputable roofing contractor on the damage to your roof. This could be a coordinated scam by a company who convinced the other 4 homeowners they had damage, so now it looks like everyone in the neighborhood will. Read the following article and then check the website www.nefba.com for a reputable roofing company. You should get 3 quotes on the job anyways, just to compare.

HAIL DAMAGE TO ROOF SHINGLES

I'm not saying you don't have damage, but what I am saying is that construction is hurting bad right now, and companies are using very creative ways to get business. So even if you do have damage, you should be able to get a good price for the repairs. Let all the companies know that you are getting 3 quotes, and don't necessarily go with the lowest price either.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 AM

Thanks shaken
That is a great article on hail damage to shingles
I was reading and it explained why we received so much granule loss on the front part of the roof which was in the windward path of the hail. This also explained why I found piles of what I now know were the granules in the gutters and at the end of the downspouts.

We also have the telltale signs of pocking on the sofets,gutters, downspouts as well as the front door.

The houses across the street received damage to the back part of the roof and the houses near the entrance had side roof damage
Which makes sense because of how the storm came through.

I was thinking the same thing 4 roofs hmmm first thing that went through my mind was it was like when one house gets painted soon you have a bunch of houses getting painted

Then I spoke to my friend who lives across the street. She and her husband spoke to the first homeowner who had his roof repaired.
They actually had leaks and called in their insurance company.
They did the research and had 5 roofing contractors in to give them bids.
This guy was in the middle they also checked his references as well as made sure he was licensed and had no complaints against him.

Still being the skeptic I am (you know us Yankees ) I wanted to hear what he said when he looked at our house.

What I liked, was he said you may not have leaking now but once the areas without the granules dry out there could be a problem this could be a year later.
I even went up on the ladder so he could point out the damage

Still skeptical when I called my insurance company they confirmed a lot of what he said. They also told me that they have received many roof claims in the past 2 weeks. All in the areas of Baymeadows that the storm came through.

When the insurance appraiser called to make the apt I put him through the "20 questions"

When I explained to him that 4 other houses have had roofs replaced he actually said
"I am the one who got the ball rolling"
It seems that the folks that own the first house that got repaired use the same insurance company we do and he was the appraiser.
He confirmed that he suspected that other houses might have problems and even suggested to the homeowners next to the first house call their insurance company

Now here is the really strange part of the "puzzle" The house next door to ours and one across the street "upgraded" their roof when they built the house to the architectural shingles(which is a much thicker shingle) vs the 3 tab most of the houses have. Both of these houses had very minor damage.

I am going to still reserve judgment until after the appraiser is here today. Thanks to your heads up and the article shaken I am going to be able to ask the right questions when he is here .

Here are some of the pictures of the hail piles that were left in front of the door and front gardens these were taken a couple hours after the storm passed so the hail had melted a bit

Many of the plants in the beds were shredded

Old 01-14-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
Thank you so much for posting this info! At what point on average did it take those with leaks to notice? Also, what portion of home owner's would cover this?

Sorry , this is my first home.
Panda sorry I forgot to answer your question as I was rambling

We have been lucky and haven't had any leaks (that I have noticed) yet.
But both the contractor and my insurance company said this is the type of thing that you may not get leaks for a year after, until the summer heat does it's work.

A good point was brought up by the neighbors and appraiser as well as the roof contractor. If we don't address it now and wait till there may be problems down the road not only might we have problems putting in a claim but the repair could be much more expensive because there could be damage under the roof shingles.

As to which part of the policy I just called them and they opened a claim under my homeowners policy.
I did stress that this was not wind damage just hail.
So far everyone I have spoken to has only had to pay their deductible. Which has ranged from $500 to $1500.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM

I have to come and say a big Thank you to shaken
Thanks to the info he provided I impressed the appraiser with my new found knowledge in the questions I was asking

The minute he got on the roof he said "yup lots of damage you need a new roof"

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 34,761 times
Now that you have jumped the hurdle of having the insurance company agree to pay for your roof, make sure you do your homework. Do not feel obligated to the roofer who "found" your damage. I have been in the insurance industry for 13 years now. For the last 10 years, I have travelled as part of a Catastrophe Team, spending 200+ days on the road per year. I have seen nightmare stories when a storm hits and contractors come in and claim a neighborhood as their "territory". I have seen knockdown-dragout fights in the streets, ladders pulled down with guys on the roof and material stolen from the front of the yard.

Beware of contractors who say they will do the job for what ever the insurance company gives you. Do not fall into the "we will pay your deductible if you sign today" trap. That is insurance fraud as soon as the signed contract is submitted to insurance. Ask for references and when you get the reference, call the reference. Ask for insurance, license and bonding information and call to confirm it is all in force. Ask if the installers are employees or subcontractors. Generally a reputable, large roofing company (especially with so many storm damged roofs) will not ask for money up front. If they do, negotiate. They should have the funds (credit) to buy the materials. Last but not least DO NOT make any payment without a Release of Lien or Lien Waiver. Florida law will allow subcontractors and suppliers to collect directly from a homeowner if the Contractor does not pay the bill. The will put a mechanics lien on your home. So you may find that you paid $8K-$10k for a roof without getting the release of lien and then you are writing another check to the sub who installed the shingles. Research this online.

Good luck...

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 AM

thanks roberts
I was lucky that the one homeowner did all the research on the roofing contractor.

The funny thing one of the neighbors used a family friend and ran into some of the things you described.

The installers are employees and he is not asking for payment until the job is done and insurance funds are received.

I was wondering about the making sure that I got some kind of release , thank you for giving me the correct terms to use when requesting this.

After listening to the noise my neighbor went through I have decided that I will be boarding my dogs during this process
I can just imagine how much barking will be going on because they think the hammer is someone knocking on the door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville