Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,256 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a Filipina, and i just arrived here in Jax, Florida last Dec. 3 2008. And Im looking for a job here that doesnt require SSS coz my change of status is still in process and it will take 3 months for me to get it and file again for my SSS number. I came here as K-3 visa or Spouse visa. I am A Psychology graduate in Davao, Philippines and I am 30yrs. old. I am honest, hardworking and a flexible person.. Any job will do as long as its descent and good job, i really need a job for me to earn. If any interested person/employers please email me at bernadette882002@yahoo.com. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,711,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernadette882002 View Post
Hi,
I am a Filipina, and i just arrived here in Jax, Florida last Dec. 3 2008. And Im looking for a job here that doesnt require SSS coz my change of status is still in process and it will take 3 months for me to get it and file again for my SSS number. I came here as K-3 visa or Spouse visa. I am A Psychology graduate in Davao, Philippines and I am 30yrs. old. I am honest, hardworking and a flexible person.. Any job will do as long as its descent and good job, i really need a job for me to earn. If any interested person/employers please email me at bernadette882002@yahoo.com. Thanks!
What is SSS?

There is a big community of Filipino's here. There are some food stores owned by Filipino's that may give you some leads.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM

SSS is Social Security Number, yes i heard theres lots of Filipino community here but i dont know any of them. So, i m hoping thru this website someone could help me. Thanks so much!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 AM

This could be a start with regards to visiting the stores and speaking to shop owners. I found our Nanny in Virginia by networking with various shop owners who had leads for employees. Do you have family or friends in the area? I would always start with a church which in general would be safer to help you.

filipino jacksonville - Google Maps

I urge you to be cautious with any situation that you feel uncomfortable; however. I am always reading about illegal activity that targets foreigners, specifically human trafficking and slavery:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25396487/wid/21370087/

http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.ed...xt=forcedlabor

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/rls/33109.htm (broken link)

Last edited by titaniummd; 01-15-2009 at 05:12 AM..

Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 AM

I dont have any relatives or friends here but in other states i have, i seldom go out only if my husband is off from his work. We go to church every sunday but i dont have a chance to meet friends. Nway, my husband is also a filipino and has so many relatives here. Unfortunately, i cant ask help from them. By the way, Thank you so much for taking time to read and reply to my messages. I really appreciate it. Maybe, Im just homesick and really wanna go to work. Well, I have a son In the Phils. and Im planning to get him this April and my husband salary is not enough for me to get him that soon thats why I wanna work to buy for our airline ticket. And its hard here in jacksonville cause there is no Bus, i seldom see taxis. So, its hard for me to go anywhere i want to and find friends or opportunities to work.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM

560 posts, read 2,070,654 times
I wish you the best of luck, but until you have your Social Security number processed I'm not entirely sure you have legal permission to work in the US yet. Your status needs to officially change first.

I'm assuming you are a non-citizen applying for US citizenship on the basis of your husband's existing citizenship?

It's really awful living in Jax without a car. You must live really far out if you don't have a bus route nearby. Have you checked JTA's website to make sure there isn't a bus route within reasonable walking distance? Bus stops aren't always well marked around here.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernadette882002 View Post
I dont have any relatives or friends here but in other states i have, i seldom go out only if my husband is off from his work. We go to church every sunday but i dont have a chance to meet friends. Nway, my husband is also a filipino and has so many relatives here. Unfortunately, i cant ask help from them. By the way, Thank you so much for taking time to read and reply to my messages. I really appreciate it. Maybe, Im just homesick and really wanna go to work. Well, I have a son In the Phils. and Im planning to get him this April and my husband salary is not enough for me to get him that soon thats why I wanna work to buy for our airline ticket. And its hard here in jacksonville cause there is no Bus, i seldom see taxis. So, its hard for me to go anywhere i want to and find friends or opportunities to work.
The only realistic alternative, if you cannot drive around town, is to start your own business from home.

I read the following book which covers starting your own business.

Amazon.com: Small Business Ideas: 400 Latest & Greatest Small Business Ideas: Terry Kyle: Books

Many multimillionaires that I have read about started businesses out of their garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville