Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
There is a Flea Market on Beach Boulevard between Cortez and Anniston road which is due west of St. Johns Bluff road on the right hand side. They have a great fruit and vegetable market Monday through Sunday.

The hours are:

Monday -Friday 10:00-5:00
Saturday & Sunday 7:00-5:00

This is definitely a lot closer than Beaver Street from Baymeadows as it is a very interesting place to check out and it has all you need espescially on Saturday and Sunday,I thoroughly it enjoy and so will you and your friends.
This has my vote. I can shop for stuff while my parents shop for vegetables and fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 PM

560 posts, read 2,075,778 times
I'm surprised so many people seem to have a problem with my "imaginary line that white people don't cross" comment. I'm absolutely right.

As a (white) native of Jax, it's my strong experience that tons of people in Jax absolutely refuse to visit the Northwest section of town (where the farmers market is located) under any circumstances. They're convinced it's a war zone and won't go there for any reason. Some particularly delusional people even apply this logic to downtown - but at the very least a strong plurality of Jax residents feel that way about Northwest Jax.

The entire reason I even said it was because I'm bemoaning the fact that such an otherwise great Farmers market is going unnoticed by a huge segment of the population who simply refuse to go to that side of town.

I can certainly understand if you don't like being reminded of that reality. But it is what it is. What gives?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 AM

530 posts, read 1,459,957 times
The topic of this thread is about veg/fruit markets not imaginary lines. Those who who dont know or choose not to go certain places have that right, and if they miss out on something, their fault. I guess you should be reminded of that.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
I'm surprised so many people seem to have a problem with my "imaginary line that white people don't cross" comment. I'm absolutely right.

As a (white) native of Jax, it's my strong experience that tons of people in Jax absolutely refuse to visit the Northwest section of town (where the farmers market is located) under any circumstances. They're convinced it's a war zone and won't go there for any reason. Some particularly delusional people even apply this logic to downtown - but at the very least a strong plurality of Jax residents feel that way about Northwest Jax.

The entire reason I even said it was because I'm bemoaning the fact that such an otherwise great Farmers market is going unnoticed by a huge segment of the population who simply refuse to go to that side of town.

I can certainly understand if you don't like being reminded of that reality. But it is what it is. What gives?
You are right. The Farmers Market you refer to is not in the best section of town but it's my fav nevertheless.

The reason I made that satirical remark earlier was to make the point that so-called unsafe areas like Northwest Jax are no less safe for whites than for black people. All people, blacks and whites, are vulnerable to crime if they wander into disreputable areas at the wrong times. That's the reality.

Now, back to the Farmers Market ... we should all check it out on Sat mornings.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:56 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:
Jacksonville Farmers Market

Just a mile west of Downtown on Beaver Street. It's in an industrial district by the RR tracks. Easy access from 95. It's actually a shame they don't have better signage.
Hey I must agree that need a bigger sign!! They need 2 on 95 and 1 on 10. Jax has way too many secrets that should not be secrets!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:

Joe, I understood where you were coming from, its all good, The riff raff that used to be in that area has either been killed off, locked up or just siting around, most of those guys are in there late 30s early 40s now, I do remember what it was in the 80s though.

Back on topic....Everyone should visit this place regardless, from my understanding it is "new" or rebuilt...something like that. It is for all the citizens of Jacksonville.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 PM

10 posts, read 87,455 times
[quote=crash330;7032981]There is also a new farmer's market in Nocatee, the new master planned community in Saint Johns County near Ponte Vedra.

http://nocatee.com/pdfs/FarmMkt-jan-june.pdf (broken link)[/QUOTE
Oh those developments are horrible, they really messed up the land over there.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 PM

10 posts, read 87,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
This has my vote. I can shop for stuff while my parents shop for vegetables and fruit.

I just went for the first time, and was relutant to go because of the location. But it's fablous well worth it. It's very
Diverse. Hot boiled peanuts, and there is a police sub station right there.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 PM

133 posts, read 526,736 times
Cool Oooh don't let a little line stop you... good eats await!

Wow, an imaginary line? Far out man! As a little white kid growing up INSIDE Jacksonville Terminal Station with several train nut friends we always wondered where that line was. I was inside the black waiting room way back about 1960? One of the managers for the Terminal Company came to "rescue me" he told me I wasn't susposed to be in there... I asked him "WHY?" and he told me it was for COLORED PEOPLE. I remember I was so mad that he couldn't see that my skin has color too! I probably cried over it. So that damned line must have passed right through the current Prime Osbourne Center.

BESIDES JAX FARMERS MARKET WE ARE SURROUNDED BY GOOD THINGS!

HASTINGS AREA MAP. Jacksonville is due north on SR 13.

On a serious note there are several great small markets around the area, including several U-Pick lots for strawberrys and blueberrys around Starke and Hastings. Oranges can be found on the country roads between Umatilla and Lake Weir, lots of roadside stands in season - none of this tourist crap. Access is easy just follow I-295/9-A to SR 13 South. After a beautiful easy hour drive along the riverfront, 13 ends at SR 206. Turn Right (WEST) into Hastings and watch for the stands. My favorite is just out of town on the left (Southeast) side of the road.They are open all but one month a year and WELL WORTH THE DRIVE. I found this in a tour article about this area:

"We left the farm and continued west on S.R. 206, then south on State Road 207, all the while surrounded by fields of potatoes, cabbage and broccoli. We passed roadside vegetable stands, each one announced by hand-lettered signs (”Cabbage: Slaw Down!”)."

ANOTHER: "All along the route, check out the small-town fruit stands. They’re usually family run and, depending on the season, often have just-picked citrus or other produce. In Palatka I got ten oranges for $2 U.S. My favorites were the sweet and juicy Honeybells. Ask the fruit vendors for restaurant recommendations in their town. You can’t go wrong."
.................................................. ..........................................

Note the Jacksonville Farmers Market is easy to get to, very nice, clean and safe... uh, that trailer is a sheriff's office! So whatever side of the line you choose, or if you - like me can't understand why I don't have a color, come on down... NW JAX, friendliest hood I ever lived in! If you havent explored the little restaurants along North Pearl Street you've missed a blessing. Also around North Myrtle, like from 8th to Moncrief/Golfair there are severl small mom and pop veggan markets and soul food kitchens that have traditional SOUTHRON GREENS and goodies by the gallon. Got to love it.

FOR THE PICK YOUR OWN CREW HERES A SITE: http://www.pickyourown.org/FLnorth.htm

Bradford County</B>
  • Ford's Farm - Vegetables UPDATE: June 19, 2008, a visitor writes: "[SIZE=3]The owner tells me they are now permanently closed[/SIZE]"
    10792 SE 36 Ave, Starke, FL 32091. Phone: 352-468-2706. Directions: On CR 18, 2 miles E of Hampton. Open: May - July, 8 am to 5 pm
  • Kerry Whitford - Muscadines
    Rt 7 Box 684-B, Starke, FL, 32091. Phone: 352-473-7208. By appointment. Directions: On SE 11th Ave, 7 miles S of Starke.
  • Larry's Berries - Strawberries, vegetables and cut flowers. UPDATE July 9, 2006: The phone is disconnected - they may have closed.
    2426 NW 223 St, Lawtey, FL, 32058. Phone: 904-782-3936. By appointment.
Columbia County
  • Bailey’s Farm - Tomatoes, Peas, Beans, Potatoes, Okra, Squash, Cucumbers, Corn, Peanuts
    Route 2, Box 1631, Lake City, FL 32024. Phone: 386-752-3970. Open: June 1st - July
    7-8pm closed on Wednesday. Directions: Intersection CR 131 and Route 240.
  • Mary Perry - U-Pick Apples, Pears
    Rt 4 Box 285 , Lake City, FL 32024. Phone: 904-752-1556. Open: Saturday from 9 am to noon, 4 pm to 6 pm and Mon-Fri 8 am - noon, closed Sunday; open only in season (typically during June to mid July). Directions: Between CR 252 & CR 242 on County Line Rd NOTE: I haven't been able to confirm this information yet, and their phone just goes to a generic answering machine that does not identify the owner. (ADDED: January 4, 2009)
  • UR Ranch - Cucumbers, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Summer Squash, Potatoes, Onions
    Route 4, Box 220F, Lake City, FL 32024. Phone: 386-752-4950. Open: May-July, Daylight hours. Directions: CR 252 to Perry Road, Route To SW Riegel Ct. Rt.
Clay County</B>
  • Blackberry Hill Farm - Blueberries, muscadine grapes, honey -
    UPDATE May 28, 2007: A visitor tells me this farm no longer sells blackberries. How ironic! They will be open Tues, Thursday and Saturdays.
    2995 Thunder Road, Middleburg, FL 32050. Phone: Farm: 904-264-2039. Blueberries: Late May - Late June. Fresh honey and Muscadine Grapes during late August to mid September. 2007 pyo blueberry prices: $1.50 a pound
  • Howard's Blueberry Farm - blueberries
    4200 Bronco Road, Middleburg, Fl 32068. Phone: 904-282-1182. Directions: Route 220A to Long Bay Rd.
Duval County</B>
  • Cason Vineyards - Grapes2780 Parish Cemetery Road, Jacksonville, FL 32221. Phone: 904-781-1314. Open: August 15- September, Monday to Saturday, from 8 am to 7 pm.
  • Braddock's Blueberries - follows organic methods, Blueberries, honey from their hives
    UPDATE July 11, 2008: We will be open on 7/12/08 from 8 - 12 noon and if the berries are there we will open again the next Saturday (7/19/08) same hours as well and will hold the Saturday openings as long as berries are there. We no longer will open at any time other than these, as it is the end of the season. CALL BEFORE YOU GO!
    Dead end of Thomas Mill Road, Jacksonville, FL 32218. Phone: 904-768-0280. Email: Email: JSTAPP01@HOTMAIL.COM. Directions: From South I-95 to Lem Turner Road North to Braddock Road (approximately 8 miles), left on Braddock to Thomas Mill Road (2/10 mile); Follow Thomas Mill to the field on the left. From the west, east or north, take I-295 to Lem Turner Road and from there, go north on Lem Turner to Braddock (approximately 4 miles), then left on Braddock to Thomas Mill Road (2/10 mile); Follow Thomas Mill to the field on the left. Open: normal IN SEASON (typically the month of June) hours are: Monday from 8 am to 12 noon and then from 5 pm to 8 pm; also Friday from 8 am to 12 noon and Saturday from 8 am to 3 pm - Call for evening picking times. Prices in 2008: $2 a pound. We follow organic methods, but are not yet certified. Payment: Cash, Check. (ADDED: June 10, 2008)
    Comments from a visitor: "[SIZE=3]This was possibly the best blueberry picking experience I've ever had and I've gone to u-pick farms for over 25 years. The bushes were loaded; Pat who is managing the farm was very friendly; and the berries are weighed fairly. The only drawback, which I didn't mind, is that most of the bushes had grown over the paths, so you had to push your way through to get to the interior bushes. Still, it was great and the berries are delicious!" [/SIZE](UPDATED: June 13, 2008)
    Another visitor adds on June 25, 2008: "[SIZE=3]Oh my! What a fun time I had with my two boys. We had never been blueberry picking before and met some friends and all went together. We had a blast! We are going again next year! The blueberry bushes were huge and chock full of beautifully big, juicy blueberries. We didn't have to venture far, we started on the nearest bushes and in no time our buckets were full! They had just mowed and used the bush hog, so there was no tall grass to trudge through and I never saw one bug. Super sweet and smiley people who weighed our berries accurately. What a great experience and the pancakes we have made with these berries...incredible![/SIZE]"
    A visitor writes on June 28, 2008: "[SIZE=3]Awesome experience. Very friendly and accurately weighed our blueberries. I would definitely visit again[/SIZE]. "
    A visitor writes on June 29, 2008: "[SIZE=3]I wanted to write and tell you about my wonderful experience at Braddocks. They are so friendly, even come 12 noon when it's 95 degrees with super high humidity )
    We've been picking twice so far this year during blueberry season. On July 14th we picked 6 pounds, just had to return on the 27th and pick 3 more pounds. They still have many blueberries that are green/pink so they will continue to ripen-their season is not over yet! On both visits I picked big plump berries, that taste just wonderful. The bonus to visiting this farm is that the neighbors sell fresh, local honey and wax from their bee hives out back. Very reasonably priced also. The table for honey was set up on our Saturday visit, to the right of the dirt road (dead end of Thomas Mill) where you drive down to the parking area.[/SIZE]"
    A visitor writes on June 29, 2008: "Another very satisfied customer. What a wonderful place. The berries are delicious and the owners are as nice as they could be. They weigh the berries {out of the containers} right in front of you so you know they are honest. It was such a great experience and I also love that they had fresh honey from next door! Blake, trust me all the comments are real!"
    A note from Blake: People rave about this farm, almost unbelievably so. Apparently, the owners are so friendly, that's what makes the difference.
  • Dowless Blueberry Farm - Blueberries
    7010 Ricker Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32244. Phone: 904-772-1369. Directions: 2 miles S of 103rd, St. off I-295. 2007 prices: blueberries for $2.00 a pound and prepicked tomatoes for $2.50 a basket. Comments from a visitor, on June 07, 2008: "We went here this morning (6/7/08)- it is a very popular place. It looked very clean and the people were very nice but get there early. They were out of berries when we got there at 10am." Another visitor [SIZE=3]c[/SIZE]omments: "Get there before daylight! I was there at 7:00am last Saturday (June 21) and they were out of blueberries when we arrived! We left at 7:30am with only a handful" (UPDATED: June 23, 2008)
  • Howard’s Blueberry Farm - Blueberries
    4200 Bronko Road, Middleburg, FL 32068. Phone: 904-282-1182.
  • Mackert Vineyards - Grapes
    13448 Sellers Lane, Jacksonville, FL 32220. Phone: 904-266-9405. Season: Grapes: August 15 - Sept.15
  • "Mary’s Berries" - Blueberries
    4238 Korey Lane, Callahan, FL 32011. Phone: 904-879-1569. Open: End of May - July 4th. Directions: ½ mile after entering Nassau County -via I-295 N from Jacksonville, Fl, turn left on Ratliff Road passing over RR tracks turn left on Koreys Lane. Fourth fenced-in property on left.
    Update from a visitor: "[SIZE=3]We went to Mary's Berries today, 5/24/08. The trees/bushes are loaded with berries! We had lots of fun with our children today, just picking berries! The blueberries are $4.00 a pound this year (2008).[/SIZE] (UPDATED: May 24, 2008)
    Complaint from another visitor
    (DATED: June 04, 2008) : "[SIZE=3]I went to her farm this weekend. Lots of blueberries and they are $4 /lb. However, she weighs the bucket with the berries and the scale will face her. I paid $16 for 4 lbs and when I got home and weighed the berries on a digital scale, I had less than 3 lbs. I did not eat any on my commute home! I will not go back for this reason. Surely the owner knows what the buckets weigh (she encouraged me to grab the largest bucket). It may just be $4 or $5 but she should be a precise as possible with the upcharge of her berries (she advertised $2/lb). That is just some feedback, for what it's worth.[/SIZE]"
    Another complaint:, received June 9, 2008: ". I went today 6-9-08 This woman is scamming me out of berries. I picked 3 lbs and she charged me for 4 pounds! At $4.00 a pound I will simply go to Public and buy frozen berries.... She had the scale facing her and was very secret about showing me the scale. I just read the person above and it really happened to me. This woman is rude and I would not ever choose this farm again. Watch out for the Dog poop as you walk...."
  • Sellers Blueberry Farm - blueberries UPDATE June 9, 2008: a visitor tells me: "[SIZE=3]I called Sellers Blueberry Farm in Duval County (904-781-7739) just now and he said, "we're out". They're all picked out of blueberries. He said try them again next year.[/SIZE]"
    10229 Old Plank Road, Jacksonville, FL 32220. Phone: 904-781-7739. Directions: Take I-10 West to White House exit you will take Chaffee Rd No. to Old Plank Rd which is approx 1 one half miles. (Chaffee Rd dead ends into Old Plank) turn right onto Old Plank we are approx 1 mile on the left. Look for white vinyl fence and our U-pick sign Click here for a map to our farm. We are usually open June 1-30. Our hours are: Wednesday 8am to 6pm and Friday / Saturday 8am to 7pm.
  • Spencer’s Blueberry Farm - Blueberries (8 varieties) - UPDATE June 12, 2007: Their phone is disconnected, so I must assumed they're closed / out of business
    5932 Cedar Point Road, Jacksonville, FL 32226. Phone: 904-757-1891. Open: June 1st - Mid-Aug. By appointment only.
  • Webster’s Vineyard - Muscadine Grapes - UPDATE August 6, 2007: I'm told they are shut down / out of business.
    9630 Old Plant Road, Jacksonville, FL 32220. Phone: 904-781-4406. Open: August - September.
  • Williams Blueberry Farm - blueberries
    2595 Statton Road, Jacksonville, FL, Phone: 904-781-4676.
ENJOY!

OCKLAWAHA

Old 07-06-2009, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,312 times
I just wanted to interject that the original post asked for markets where the farmer actually brings the produce. Beaver street (nor the flea market) is not one of those markets. Those guys are almost all wholesale people that generally have no idea where their produce comes from. Ask them and they will often read the sticker. Anyways there are a couple new markets that have sprung up that try to give real local farmers a chance to sell their wares -- the Riverside Arts Market and the Beaches Green Market are the two best. They are both on Saturday and there are at least a few real farmers there who can vouch for how their food is grown and that it was not flown in from California or South America. Beaver street market is fine for getting a discount on produce and great for some seasonal stuff (watermelon and citrus especially) but it is not a farmers market in the real sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville