Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times

Advertisements

There are also local organic farms that have memberships where you pay a fixed annual price, depending on the quantity you want and then pick up produce that is grown at various times throughout the year.

I've known Francisco of KYV Farms for over a year and he is very enthusiastic about organic farming.

LocalHarvest - CSA Details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 11,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb View Post
I just wanted to interject that the original post asked for markets where the farmer actually brings the produce. Beaver street (nor the flea market) is not one of those markets. Those guys are almost all wholesale people that generally have no idea where their produce comes from. ..... Beaver street market is fine for getting a discount on produce and great for some seasonal stuff (watermelon and citrus especially) but it is not a farmers market in the real sense.
Sorry, Gator B. I disagree. The fact is, if most of the produce wasn't coming from "local" farmers as directly as possible, they couldn't sell the produce there for, on average, up to 50 to 70% less than grocery stores.

The Jacksonville Farmers Market on West Beaver Street (1 block east of Stockton and 1 mile west of Downtown) is a REAL farmers market (maybe the only one like it in Florida, and, at over 70 years old, its oldest), open 365 days a year from dawn to dusk - totally unlike almost all others that are open just a few hours a week, a few weeks out of the year.

Yes, along with real farmers, there are wholesalers and retailers at the Jacksonville Farmers Market, and yes, they may sell some products from afar to supplement their line of local produce. But, you may not understand how this real MARKET works. Most farmers come early in the morning (starting as early as 3 AM) and many sell out their loads to those retailers and wholesalers so they can go back and farm. They aren't necessarily in the business of sitting all day to sell to local produce retailers, restaurants, and the public and would rather leave that to others. However, FYI, the JFM just opened an additional 2 acre parking area to expand accomodations for farmer's trailers and trucks and most early mornings start with every space taken.

And, think about this... Do you think a farmer could live alone on selling their produce a few hours a week on a seasonal basis? Of course not. The JFM is the only North Florida or greater area market that they can sell 7 days a week all that they produce. They do need this market and your support of it.

Additionally, no FULL TIME vendor (unlike all those part-time and seasonal vendors at markets elsewhere) can live alone by local and seasonal products. To be full time, they must supplement them with a wider variety and year round availability. But... somewhere, a "local" farmer may still be the supplier. Today, a "local" farmer encocmpasses a much wider area since transit is improved and there are fewer people farming immediately around growing urban areas like Jax. I would say "local" here needs to include at least Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas.

So, you see, "it takes a village" to support your local farmers and they are beneficiaries of your patronage even if you don't see them directly all the time. Farmers selling the Jacksonville Farmers Market aren't going to be found at your local grocery store, that is for sure.

You are correct, that wherever you buy your produce, if you care, you should ask questions and carefully inspect and understand what you are buying. That applies to everything we buy, not just prodcuce

P.S. The JFM's web site is Jacksonville Farmers Market

Last edited by stjr; 08-05-2009 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,876 times
Hello, everyone! My husband and I have co-oped with a Organic hydroponics farm down in Christmas FL. Right now we don't have produce, but we will be soon. I will keep everyone posted. We have Goats milk Cheeses, Goats milk soaps, beef jerky, honey, and green bags. If you want info on what types we have and prices, email us at zaksarakann@gmail.com We will be doing deliveries of our products and pick up as well!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:08 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
I've heard there is a new one near Oakleaf Plantation.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 11,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart of Christmas Co-op View Post
Hello, everyone! My husband and I have co-oped with a Organic hydroponics farm down in Christmas FL. Right now we don't have produce, but we will be soon. I will keep everyone posted. We have Goats milk Cheeses, Goats milk soaps, beef jerky, honey, and green bags. If you want info on what types we have and prices, email us at zaksarakann@gmail.com We will be doing deliveries of our products and pick up as well!
I suggest you rent a stall at the Jax Farmers Market, at least Friday through Sunday and do some serious business. People are always looking for organics in Jax. If you hang there regularly and build a following you could grow your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville