Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:29 PM

28 posts, read 81,620 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm a Jax native who grew up in metro Atlanta, moved back to Jax after college & has spent the past 7.5 years in Miami. My husband & I are moving to Jax to be near family.

Back in '98-'99, I lived in Royal Oaks Apartments in Baymeadows & really liked it. Initially we will be living with family for a few months but when we get an apt, I'm leaning towards going back to the Baymeadows/Southside area.

My question is - are there any apartment complexes that you can warn me against based upon personal experience?

Thx, Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,598 times
Default Southside is Best

hi

According to me apts in southside are really gud and safter than others.
i d suggest choose any apts in southside

Have a Nice Day

Bye

Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 AM

353 posts, read 1,144,027 times
I know your looking for places to avoid but on the flip side, I would highly recommend Thornton Park Apartments just off of Soutside Blvd. on Gate Pkwy West. Very very nice and brand new too. Ammenities are killer. (full on movie theater, full size indoor basketball court and fitness center open 24/7, internet cafe, pool tables...etc) Plus location is great.

Just my .02

Old 01-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Positive recs are good too. TPApts look NICE but out of our price range, thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,033,908 times
There are many nice apartments in the Baymeadows/SS area
What range are you looking to spend ?
Thia would make it easier for us to make recommendations.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 PM

57 posts, read 142,517 times
Most of the baymedows/SS area apts. are very nice, they also come with a nice price tag. 3bedroom 2 bath will be at least $1000 a month. Like Karla said knowing your size apt and price range could help alot with recommendations.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:21 PM

560 posts, read 2,068,573 times
I find Baymeadows to be a bit of a mystery.

Some areas are clearly getting older and attracting lower-income residents and junky businesses. Other areas have beautiful new construction and luxury units. Sometimes the two will be mixed together.

Use the months living with your family wisely. Test out Southside traffic during rush hours at various possible locations. Although I still contend that Jax doesn't have bad traffic by national standards, a lot has changed since '99. Some intersections will be brutal, and that could influence your choice of apartments just as much as other considerations.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell29bell View Post
Most of the baymedows/SS area apts. are very nice, they also come with a nice price tag. 3bedroom 2 bath will be at least $1000 a month. Like Karla said knowing your size apt and price range could help alot with recommendations.
I was just coming to clarify that we want a 2/2 or 3/2 & want to pay $800-$1000 accordingly. We pay $975 for a 565 sq ft 1/1 in Miami Beach (North Beach, not South Beach) & are hoping to find a good (doesn't have to be brand new or super fancy) 2- or 3-bdrm apt for the same price.

Thanks for all the good tips! I'm just getting nervous reading apartment rating websites. But I've lived in Miami Beach for a while now where central a/c, dishwashers & a bldg less than 40 years old are luxuries, so I'm not as picky as I was in my 20s! I just want the place to be clean & safe with mgmt that responds to requests in a reasonable amount of time. And my husband wants a pool and fitness center.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:25 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,033,908 times
Another option to consider would be to take a look at condos, many folks that have been having problems selling are looking to rent.
Many have great amenitie centers with pools and fitness areas.

I went to realtor . com and put in rent condo 32256 and they had quite a few 2/2 for under $1000

Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 AM

8,886 posts, read 20,275,284 times
We just moved into a 2/2 "bungaloo" type (no one above us) in Southern Pines Apartments just off of Southside Blvd at the 95. It is an older complex (almost 19 yrs old), but the grounds look nice for the age. Our apartment has a new microwave, new frig, new digital stove, new dishwasher, wood burning fireplace, washer/dryer and nice ceiling fan/lights, security system (inside and/or monitored), screened-in patio....and your own garage. Not bad for a 19 year old complex! The living room is bigger than our last apartment, but the bedrooms are a little smaller. Last apartment we had a coat closet next to the front door and a linen closet in our one bathroom.....not here. Our last apartment was was brand new/never occupied before when we moved in, so we can sometimes see "little things" that tell the age of the apartment. But, all-in-all, it's a pretty nice apartment! Rent: $1,195. The "bungaloo" we are in cost more b/c no one lives above us. Our last apartment was $1105, but it was a 3-story building w/people living above us (we were on first floor). Southern Pines is only 2-story high. So far, it is a nice Complex in a nice area........just what we wanted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville