Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 AM

27 posts, read 78,249 times

Advertisements

Hi, there, I'm a newbie to the forum but have already gained a lot of insight by reading past threads. I'm relocating from Southern California to Jacksonville within the coming year. After some research, I've come to the tentative conclusion that PVB is the best choice for me and my family of four. I have a 15month old and a 4 year old so the safety, education factor is very important and it seems that PVB can offer that.

My question though is this: what are the different neighborhoods within PVB and what are the differences? So far I have gleaned that there are at least a few neighborhoods that people like: Marsh Landing and Sawmill Lakes and Walden Chase, Azalea Point, Cypress Creek, Dolphin Cove. On the real estate websites, there are such huge price differences in the houses located in different neighborhoods. Why? Is Marsh Landing a better location or something? What is it like to live in these different kinds of neighborhoods? I guess what I'm looking for is a kid-friendly area, with nice activities.

My 4 year old is in preschool and active at the YMCA so I would like to be able to do some of that in PVB as well. Is there a YMCA like facility nearby?

There are so many questions and this is such a huge move for us. Thank you in advance! I'm so glad to have found this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM

9 posts, read 21,408 times
I heard the Ponte Vedra area is the most expensive area to live in Jacksonville.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM

Thank you, Connie, so much for your reply. That helps clear things up a lot. Yes, I have to come visit to get a better idea of the communities. What you say makes a lot of sense about the pricing of the houses. There is a lot out on the market right now. This really helps. Thank you so much.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM

And the "Find the Property" website rocks! Thanks for the link.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,729 times
i have lived in ponte vedra for twelve years now, azalea point for eleven. this is my breakdown of the communities you've listed:

marsh landing: out of each development you've listed, i've always considered marsh landing the nicest, and where i would guess the prices are more considerable. it's very accessible, and certainly large. gated.
sawmill lakes: it's a little away from a1a, which is the "main" road of ponte vedra, but it's a quick drive. also a very nice development. a little smaller than marsh landing, but still large nevertheless. not gated, however, but honestly, in pvb, i'm not sure whether gates matter much or not.
dolphin cove: the houses are considerably smaller here, but it's "old florida" in comparison to the other developments. located right on a1a, not gated, spaced out with a baseball field/playground anchoring in the center. streets are small, too.
azalea point/fairfield: much more quaint than the other communities. there are only seven-eight streets on a loop, and the last three streets are considered "azalea point". gated, and next to the plantation, which is also a very nice community i think you should look into.
walden chase: is actually near us1, which is a far drive from what is considered the main part of ponte vedra... by far i mean, like, perhaps 7-8 minutes, but i wouldn't recommend it. you would essentially be separated from the rest of pvb.
not sure what cypress creek is!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 PM

Thanks, Vigilantes. That really gives me an idea. This is good prep for me before I actually visit and drive through the streets.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22one3one View Post
I heard the Ponte Vedra area is the most expensive area to live in Jacksonville.
This is true. I'm sure Ponte Vedra has the highest average home price of any town/neighborhood in the Jax area.

But it's still just an average. I've known people who live in very modestly priced condos in Ponte Vedra. One might not be able to afford that 4 bedroom, 2 car garage house that everyone in Jax has come to expect. But if you really want to live in Ponte Vedra, you can find a way.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
Also, I would avoid Walden Chase unless you are making a very long term move.

That giant Nocatee development is going to be built inbetween Walden Chase and Ponte Vedra. So over the next decade or two, that market is going to be flooded with suburban "luxury" homes that are pretty much the same niche as Walden Chase except newer, better and closer to Ponte Vedra.

Of course, in the long run, that will make the area much more attractive. But in the short term, all the competition would make resale a nightmare.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post

Of course, in the long run, that will make the area much more attractive. But in the short term, all the competition would make resale a nightmare.
Thank you for the heads up on this fact. I noticed there is new development in other parts of St. Johns County as well, such as Greenbriar. We may have to resell if my husbands job doesn't work out in Jacksonville so all of this is very good consider.

Right now, I am attracted to Marsh Landing, Sawgrass CC, and Sawmill Lakes.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 AM

Location: Teams in 2 locations: Jacksonville, FL & Aldie/Chantilly VA.
63 posts, read 224,319 times
Hi,
I didn't see what price range you are looking for?... and the SqFt size of home you are wanting. I am actually a member of Marsh Landing CC and the homes there are VERY nice. WIth the way the market is right now, the prices have come down quite a bit. THIS is the time to buy NICE homes at the beach, because people will ALWAYS like the beach!
Many neighborhoods have community pools and activities. Most the golf communities are gated, but there are plenty of other very nice neighborhoods that are not gated. If you go WEST across the intercoastal bridge 5 minutes away, the homes go down about $80-100,000 in price, and those are still nice areas.
Moderator cut: comment

Where are you moving from? I used to live in Temecula/ Murrieta. My brothers in Encinitas and Riverside. I LOVED California...but Jacksonville is the next best!!!

MKGolfer

Last edited by Keeper; 01-21-2009 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: just give the info don't promote yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville