Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 PM

432 posts, read 1,301,736 times

Advertisements

I know from reading some other threads that some people don't like the planned communites, but after talking to a few friends and having two boys I think living in a neighborhood like this would be ideal. At first my husband wasn't keen on the idea and kept saying we could and should just use the base facilities, but honestly if I had a good fitness center within walking distance and a place where my kids could swim, walk to school etc then I am sold. We definitely aren't planning on living on base again. I'm tired of living on the base. I can look out my front door and see 5 people my husband works with. I just want a little separation from his work and our home life. However the inclusiveness of living in a planned community is sort of like living on base......but not everyone works with you!

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had insight into Oakleaf. I have read about the new high school going up and that really piqued my interest. I had originally vetoed all properties in the area, but now am willing to give them a second look.

I read that the road was widened which helps with the traffic flow. I was wondering if that change really made a difference and what would the approximate time be to NAS? I remember Blanding/17 being a nightmare when we lived there before and I worry that moving too far down will just add to much time to his schedule. He's going to be an instructor on the base and will have strange hours.

So any insight.......good or bad would be welcomed. Now that it is 2009 I am getting so antsy to move to Jax. I will miss Hawaii desperately, but this move just kind of signifies a move forward with our lives if you will.

Also, how cold DID it get last week down there??? I'm going to be in for a rude awakening! We'll get to Jax in July/August approximately and will be right in the middle of summer however I know it will cool down before I know it and I will be one frozen popcicle! Remember I am used to the temps being between 70-85 all year long.

Thanks in advance for any replies..........

amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:28 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,893,490 times
Blanding and 17 are still nightmares in the I-295 area, and 295 itself between the two can be difficult at certain times of the day (mostly during the afternoon/early-evening commute). Although I haven't investigated, I'm sure there might be ways to go around the elbow to get to the thumb to avoid some of the congestion.

Roadways in the Oakleaf area have improved, and are still being improved as far as I know.

I, too, at first poopoo'd the idea of a planned community. But we were sold by the amenities and the lifestyle and for us it was the best decision - we're very happy here.

Now as for the weather - omg - a tad chilly these past few nights/early mornings. Wednesday early morning the mercury had dipped to 29. A few of my plants were not happy. Thursday morning it was 30. This morning 35. BUT DO NOT DESPAIR! The days have been really nice and sunny (50s, 60s, 70s). The best part is that "winter" is so, so short. During the months of December, January, and February we will have a small handful of chilly nights and not-so-blazin'-hot days, but outside of those few days, one doesn't need a coat nor jacket. And starting tomorrow, we're done with the freeze stuff - daytime temps are forecast for the low 70s, nights in the low 50s.

The climate will be different for you here, but you won't become a frozen popsicle!! After the sauna days of July/August, you'll find that our autumn temps to be more like you're used to.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,202,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
I know from reading some other threads that some people don't like the planned communites, but after talking to a few friends and having two boys I think living in a neighborhood like this would be ideal. At first my husband wasn't keen on the idea and kept saying we could and should just use the base facilities, but honestly if I had a good fitness center within walking distance and a place where my kids could swim, walk to school etc then I am sold. We definitely aren't planning on living on base again. I'm tired of living on the base. I can look out my front door and see 5 people my husband works with. I just want a little separation from his work and our home life. However the inclusiveness of living in a planned community is sort of like living on base......but not everyone works with you!

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had insight into Oakleaf. I have read about the new high school going up and that really piqued my interest. I had originally vetoed all properties in the area, but now am willing to give them a second look.

I read that the road was widened which helps with the traffic flow. I was wondering if that change really made a difference and what would the approximate time be to NAS? I remember Blanding/17 being a nightmare when we lived there before and I worry that moving too far down will just add to much time to his schedule. He's going to be an instructor on the base and will have strange hours.

So any insight.......good or bad would be welcomed. Now that it is 2009 I am getting so antsy to move to Jax. I will miss Hawaii desperately, but this move just kind of signifies a move forward with our lives if you will.

Also, how cold DID it get last week down there??? I'm going to be in for a rude awakening! We'll get to Jax in July/August approximately and will be right in the middle of summer however I know it will cool down before I know it and I will be one frozen popcicle! Remember I am used to the temps being between 70-85 all year long.

Thanks in advance for any replies..........

amy
Oakleaf is fine, but just be careful which builders home you buy. There are some really good builders and some really, really crappy builders building homes in there. It's Clay County and Clay County does not enforce some of the Codes that were adopted by the State of Florida regarding moisture intrusion. If you have any questions about any of the builders in there (or anywhere else for that matter) send me a PM. I work for just about all of them, so my info will be factual and non biased.

SS

Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 PM

17,833 posts, read 32,973,619 times
wb3690
You might also want to consider the 9A/Baymeadows area on the Southside
I just drove from there to NAs and it was 22 minutes

Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 PM

33 posts, read 147,579 times
Default excellent choice

If you look the facilities and neighborhood , It is the best in the area. If you have kids and they play soccer , foot ball or base ball - you save plenty of time taking them to the games. Most games are played in the Oakleaf home ground. They have a brand new elementary and middle school and high school is coming. They will be like private schools managed by public boards(county).

There are alternate routes to avoid blanding by taking old middleburg road to 103 st and to NAS Jax . For me to go to downtown it takes me 30 mts and I compare with my friends who live at southside and my commute is almost equal to them.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceguy View Post
If you look the facilities and neighborhood , It is the best in the area. If you have kids and they play soccer , foot ball or base ball - you save plenty of time taking them to the games. Most games are played in the Oakleaf home ground. They have a brand new elementary and middle school and high school is coming. They will be like private schools managed by public boards(county).

There are alternate routes to avoid blanding by taking old middleburg road to 103 st and to NAS Jax . For me to go to downtown it takes me 30 mts and I compare with my friends who live at southside and my commute is almost equal to them.
thanks. I am sure my husband knows the roads there better than I do. I just shopped! haha....my boys do alot of sports etc and I agree that having the sports near home would be great! That is a huge perk for us for sure......they play football/basketball/baseball now......they are always looking for something to do.

thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
wb3690
You might also want to consider the 9A/Baymeadows area on the Southside
I just drove from there to NAs and it was 22 minutes
thanks! we won't rule any areas out......just lately the more we figure things out I think a planned community would be so nice.

I'm anxious!

I really am not worried about the weather. we lived there one year in 2000-2001 and I remember it being cool and chilly in the winter, but nothing horrible (I am from Michigan he is from Indiana). Like stated above it will be a nice change......and it will be nice to have seasons! haha.....

amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville