Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Location: Teams in 2 locations: Jacksonville, FL & Aldie/Chantilly VA.
63 posts, read 224,233 times

Advertisements

What age are your kids? What grade will they be going into? Check out www.greatschools.net and look in the southside area: johns creek elementary, twin lakes, and mandarin schools. Northern st Johns schools are good too, just alittle further south.
Many people don't realize the traffic patterns, and it can be bad here...but then it's all relative, compared to what you're used to. It also depends on the time you'll need to be at work.
Let us know if we can help?
MKGolfer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,786 times
[SIZE=3]Thanks for all the help we really need it. We were stationed at NAS Jax over 15 years ago when Cecil Field was open. At that time we had no children, lived in Orange Park and really left that area other than to shop at the different malls. So I can only imagine that the area has grown in all directions since then. Before we moved overseas we lived in Escambia County FL (Pensacola) however our child went to a private school so we did not focus on the public school system when choosing our home. With the economy is such shambles I will focus on the public schools in case private school aren’t a viable for our family. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My child will be going into Middle School next school year, So middle schools and High schools will me to on my list. [/SIZE]

Old 02-07-2009, 04:51 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I used to live in the Mayport area. OP is way too far even when the traffic isn't heavy. Then once you get closer to the base, depending on what ships are in, it can be a slow commute up to 3 miles before you even reach any of the gates. Copy riverees post and use it for a guide in choosing a place to live. Keep your commute as short as possible to make it easier for your family if they want to use the activities, medical, etc. on base. Good Luck to you.....I love Mayport Naval Station. Worked there as a civilian for years.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Location: Teams in 2 locations: Jacksonville, FL & Aldie/Chantilly VA.
63 posts, read 224,233 times
Also, near Mayport is a private school that My son went to called Providence. It was a great college prep school. There are two other private schools everyone hears about, Bolles and Espiscapal, but they are VERY pricey. Providence is only about $5800 a year compared to those others over $12,000 a year.
THere is a NEW public high school being built by Baymeadows and 9A in the Southside area. I've heard Twin Lakes public middle school is great....and there are some great neighborhoods right near 9A, which is a convenient road to get to Mayport. What size home and price are you looking at?

MKGOlfer

Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,304 times
Orange Park is a great location if you are stationed at NAS Jax. I'm am a Property Manager not too far from the Mayport area and would love to give you some assistance since I've lived here for over 8 years. If my brand new community is not close enough for you, I can surely find you one that is. Please give me a call at (904) 727-9830 and I can steer you in the right direction. I have family members in the military and my parents who practice Real Estate in Panama City have a wonderful relocation program for the military who serves us proudly!

Kind regards,

Alan Neubauer
Property Manager
Magnolia Village Luxury Apartments
1620 Bartram Road
Jacksonville, FL 32207

Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 PM

70 posts, read 309,079 times
Check out Oceanway, Pecan park area. I rent to two families stationed at Mayport and they love the area. Easy commute over the the bridge on to Wonderwood by-pass. Militarybyowner.com is a great resource for military families transfering to JAX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville