Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Location: Teams in 2 locations: Jacksonville, FL & Aldie/Chantilly VA.
63 posts, read 224,233 times

Advertisements

FL Navy Wife,
Karla w/ a K is right. The Mandarin and Southside area are great, for schools, shopping and resale.
Since it is such a buyers market, I don't really feel you should worry so much. IT is the PERFECT time to purchase a home...the prices are low and the interest rate is unbelievably low. Using your VA can get you into a home with hardly any money out of your pocket!!
Eventually the market will be plateauing and possibly going back up (maybe not as fast as it has in the past), in the next 2-3 years.
Plus, if you live in Duval county, the ride on 295 north (or it shows going west on the map) over the Buckman bridge is Against traffic in the morning to get to NAS JAX. ALL the traffic goes from west to east in the morning , since many people pick the orangepark and argyle area for the prices, then have to deal with horrible traffic every day.
What price are you looking for, and sqft???
MKGolfer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM

37 posts, read 105,025 times
We're looking for a home that's not over 220K.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Location: Teams in 2 locations: Jacksonville, FL & Aldie/Chantilly VA.
63 posts, read 224,233 times
I know you can get a home around 1,800-2,000+ sqft in a nice neighborhood for that, of course it would vary from area to area.
MKGolfer

Old 02-08-2009, 05:31 PM

That's good to hear. We'll be looking into Mandarin and Southside area as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:36 PM

Just wondering...are Mandarin and Southside area considered to be pretty safe?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Flnavywf

Yes they are we have been in our house in the 9a/baymeadows area for 7 years and love the area.

There is a great site that quite a few of the military folks I know used when relocating here I will DM you the info

Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,006 times
aloha!

we're a navy family moving over to NAS this summer.......we have gone back and forth with renting/buying and well you totally understand the uncertainty of orders! we've decided to rent and are going to rent up in Oakleaf......IF he gets follow on orders to stay in Jax for sea duty we'll go ahead and buy then as those orders will be 4 year orders I believe and he'll retire and we'll probably be staying in the area.

the immediate areas around the base aren't great.....fleming island is another area we looked at, but ended up with oakleaf out of a few rental opportunities that we have......

I'm looking forward to moving over!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 AM

12 posts, read 33,502 times
FLnavywf,

In relation to your specific Silver Creek question. It is a nice area to live, many don't mind the commute to the base, and there is a large inventory of houses under 220K right now. Even one 3,000 sqft for ~190K. However, if resale is important to you, be aware. Silver Creek is still a fairly new community, builder still has inventory with great incentive packages. People that are trying to do "sell by owner" right now are having a difficult time, add to that the fair share of foreclosures. In my oppinion, in three years you won't be able to re-sell your house "very fast". One SBO has had a "for sale" sign in his front yard for a year now.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:44 AM

Thank you all for the insight! I've realized Green Cove Springs is more in the rural area, a little far from the base, so we're actually looking more into Fleming Island right now, as I've heard the neighborhoods there are pretty nice. Even though we could get a lot more house (square footage-wise) in Green Cove for our money, I'd rather get a house in a more desirable neighborhood. I heard at NAS Jax, it's easy to move from one unit to another when it's time to pick orders, so hopefully we could stay longer! Worst case scenario, we'd probably rent out our house if we couldn't sell it fast enough or if the economy hasn't improved by then...I'm being optimistic though, so I hope the economy would've picked up by that time.

Being in Jax for 3 years (or longer), I just don't want to keep paying rent into someone else's equity, when all that time, I could be paying into MINE. Real estate is not a bad investment...might as well spend my money on it than other stuff.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
aloha!

we're a navy family moving over to NAS this summer.......we have gone back and forth with renting/buying and well you totally understand the uncertainty of orders! we've decided to rent and are going to rent up in Oakleaf......IF he gets follow on orders to stay in Jax for sea duty we'll go ahead and buy then as those orders will be 4 year orders I believe and he'll retire and we'll probably be staying in the area.

the immediate areas around the base aren't great.....fleming island is another area we looked at, but ended up with oakleaf out of a few rental opportunities that we have......

I'm looking forward to moving over!
Aloha! I guess there's going to be so many of us newbies in Jax in the next few months huh? LOL..... I definitely am excited to move, but hate moving itself. I don't like the chaos. It looks like your husband is close to retiring. Congrats! We still have a way to go...hopefully my husband can hang in there! I'm a military veteran myself, but I knew I didn't want to do 20 yrs. It looks like Jacksonville is a fun place to be at, so we should all be OK. It's definitely a lot better than Maine.. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville