Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 PM

37 posts, read 105,025 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm new on here and just been lurking around for a bit reading tons of helpful threads. Just like another poster I saw on here, my husband is also in the Navy, and we're moving down to Jax from Maine in a few months where he'll be stationed at NAS Jax. We're planning to buy a house in Clay County and not sure which is the best area/neighborhood to buy. We're looking into Oakleaf Plantation in Orange Park, Silver Creek in Green Cove Springs, Fleming Island, and also Middleburg. As of right now, we know we'll be in Jax for about 3 years, although we're hoping to stay longer. But if that doesn't happen, we're probably going to have to sell our house at the end of our 3-year tour there. This is going to be our first home, so this whole process has been pretty nerve-wrecking for us...lol.

With this house-buying process, I'm actually thinking ahead when it's time for us to sell our house later down the road. I'm trying to find a really nice home that I know will be easy to sell when we need to. Can anyone recommend which of those areas is the best location? I know in real estate, location is everything! I wish we could stay in Jax for the rest of my husband's military career (we're from Tampa, so we're closer to home), but it's never for sure in the military. I just don't want to end up being stuck with a mortgage from not being able to sell the house when we have to relocate, so I'm making sure to pick a house now in a good location.

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 04:35 PM

560 posts, read 2,075,778 times
Related to your question:

I think Fleming Island is the "best" location in terms of property resale value. It's an area with the newest overall construction, and the most luxury construction in an otherwise blue collar Clay County. The downside is that it's in the far suburbs (like all of Clay County really). It's not super-convenient to anything but NAS Jax and maybe Camp Blanding. I also hear good things about Oakleaf Plantation, however I would personally do anything in my power to avoid Blanding Blvd. Oakleaf could be the nicest community within 100 miles, and I still might avoid it because of the potential for even the occasional use of Blanding. I would 100% avoid Middleburg because of Blanding as well. There's no particular advantage to Middleburg, yet you have to deal with Blanding. Just my two cents.

Quasi-related to your question:

Is the Navy (or it's relocation realtors) just straight-up telling people to move to Orange Park? It seems like anytime someone posts about a Navy transfer, they already have Orange Park as one of their options, which I consider kind of weird, honestly. Is it word of mouth, or is there just something about Orange Park that is a perfect fit from a Navy perspective?

Old 02-07-2009, 04:54 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Right around the base itself, the neighborhood can be a little rough. I agree with Joe that you would love the area he is referring to and your commute won't be so rough. I also think NAS has wonderful on base housing and lots of amenities for the families.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Related to your question:

I think Fleming Island is the "best" location in terms of property resale value. It's an area with the newest overall construction, and the most luxury construction in an otherwise blue collar Clay County. The downside is that it's in the far suburbs (like all of Clay County really). It's not super-convenient to anything but NAS Jax and maybe Camp Blanding. I also hear good things about Oakleaf Plantation, however I would personally do anything in my power to avoid Blanding Blvd. Oakleaf could be the nicest community within 100 miles, and I still might avoid it because of the potential for even the occasional use of Blanding. I would 100% avoid Middleburg because of Blanding as well. There's no particular advantage to Middleburg, yet you have to deal with Blanding. Just my two cents.

Quasi-related to your question:

Is the Navy (or it's relocation realtors) just straight-up telling people to move to Orange Park? It seems like anytime someone posts about a Navy transfer, they already have Orange Park as one of their options, which I consider kind of weird, honestly. Is it word of mouth, or is there just something about Orange Park that is a perfect fit from a Navy perspective?

Thanks for the reply. I guess we'll be looking closer into Fleming Island. Any insight on Silver Creek subdiv. in Green Cove Springs or the area itself? We've seen some nice houses in that neighborhood as well.

As far as your question about Orange Park and the military, no they don't tell people to move to Orange Park. It's more word of mouth. I've talked to a lot of people that used to be stationed there and people that have already bought a house waiting to move, and they all pretty much tell me the same thing....to stick with Clay County i.e. Orange Park and Fleming Island for better neighborhoods, schools, etc. With realtors, on the other hand, all they've told me was most of their clients have bought houses in Clay County. I know it sounds pretty biased, and I'm sure it's not all true. That's why we're keeping our options open. But if Fleming Island is the best location in terms of property resale value, like you said, I'm more inclined to buy a house in that area. Thanks again!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Right around the base itself, the neighborhood can be a little rough. I agree with Joe that you would love the area he is referring to and your commute won't be so rough. I also think NAS has wonderful on base housing and lots of amenities for the families.
I have had people tell me to watch out for the bad part of Jax. But pretty much every city has good and bad parts right? We have thought about staying on base housing which we actually live in now here in Maine, but we've decided it may be a good time to take the next leap in our lives...buying our first home. It's pretty scary, but I'm definitely excited. I'm just trying hard not to make bad choices this first time around, so I'm researching as much as I can about the best location. Thanks GloryB!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I have a friend who has a wonderful place in Green Cove on the river. What a cool little town. It has everything you need without any traffic. As a matter of fact, I'm heading there tomorrow.

Agreed that all cities have their rough areas, but it is nice to go to work and not have to worry about kids breaking into your house while they are skipping school or any other unpleasant scenarios.
The main concern, if you have kids, is access to a good safe school. I think any area between NAS and Green Cove is nice. They also widened and repaved much of 17 (highway) making for a nice ride.

Here's a map of the area if you don't already have one bookmarked. If you goof around with it, you should be able to see quite a bit of terrain, street views and the traffic route ratings.
map of green cove springs, fl - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/blzw6s - broken link)

(17 takes you from NAS down to the Green Cove Area)

Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 19,820 times
Hello,
We just moved here in September from SC due to a job relocation to NAS JAX. We bought a house on Fleming Island and love it. We have 2 elem. age children and wanted good schools, safe neighborhood and minimal commute for my husband. We bought in Eagle Harbor, a master planned community where the kids can ride their bikes to school, pools, tennis courts etc.. It takes my husband 25 minutes to get to his office from here. If you lived in Green Cove Springs you would easily add 15 minutes plus from there. He leaves at 6:30 in the AM to avoid the heaviest traffic and is home before the afternoon rush. We also looked in St. John's County, Julington Creek area first....top rated schools, safe neighborhoods etc...downside longer commute and the shopping not as convienent....Think long and hard before buying because you might not recoup fees in three years with this economy....there have been houses for sale for a long time all over this area. Lots of short sales out there too. Also, if you buy in these big master planned communities you will have CDD fees and HOA fees....Eagle Harbor has outrageous water bills too! So look into all that before buying....alos you will water a good water purifier for your house anywhere in the Jax. area!!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 PM

We will definitely look into the Green Cove area as well. The neighborhoods and houses out there seem pretty nice. We don't mind the commute so much..that's the price to pay for living in a big city. At least there's a lot more things to do down there. We've lived here in Maine for about 2 years now, and let's just say I'm counting down the days until our "big move"...lol.

I know we have to be cautious about buying a house with the economy being the way it is now and all, but I guess we'll have to take that risk sooner or later. We have our fingers crossed! I know the CDD and HOA fees are outrageous in some neighborhoods, so taking that into account in choosing where to buy.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnavywf View Post
We will definitely look into the Green Cove area as well. The neighborhoods and houses out there seem pretty nice. We don't mind the commute so much..that's the price to pay for living in a big city. At least there's a lot more things to do down there. We've lived here in Maine for about 2 years now, and let's just say I'm counting down the days until our "big move"...lol.

I know we have to be cautious about buying a house with the economy being the way it is now and all, but I guess we'll have to take that risk sooner or later. We have our fingers crossed! I know the CDD and HOA fees are outrageous in some neighborhoods, so taking that into account in choosing where to buy.
Do this check before you consider Green Cove Springs

FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators - Neighborhood Search

If you do live in Green Cove, Magnolia Point looks like a nice place.

There are 2 gated communities in Fleming Island for Single Family Homes : River Hills Reserve and Margaret's Walk.
-
I agree Fleming Island such as Fleming Island Plantation or Eagle Harbor is nice. Don't forget Hibernia which is on the other side of 17.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:45 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Hi FLnavywf
I agree that Flemming Island is nice, I have family in FI Plantation and a good friend in Eagle Harbor.
Just wanted to bring up another option.
The Southside Baymeadows 9A area is another area you might want to consider.

The drive to NAS is all highway and 25 mins. You will also be about 15 miles to the beach and 5 miles to the shopping and restaurants in the St Johns Towne Center. As well as 25 mins to downtown.
You didn't mentions schools but the elementary and middle schools are "A" schools with a brand new high school opening in 2010.

You will also find sub-divisions built in the last 5 to 7 years that do not have the huge HOA CDD fees.

This area is also mid way between NAS & Mayport.

These are all things that could possibility make it easier for resale should you be transferred in 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville