Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times

Advertisements

Our foxtail is fine and that is very tropical, our queen is fine, our norfolk islands, rubber trees, majesty Palms (very tropical, still babies, too), and everything seems fine. The foxtail took a real beating and that was the only thing we covered ( i wasnt there to really take care of it), but it has survived we think. Our bismarck palm, which is sizable is perfectly fine. Those are the rare white palms, and they are tropical. Our banana tree is brown now, but that is hidden because my parents hate it. It got down to 27 at our house the last freeze and this freeze, and the second night was 30, but we live on the river so i imagine it got a little colder inland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Yeah, its warmed up nicely here as well. It was around 70° today.... 71° at my house and 70s forecasted for the next few days, but this is Tennessee and unlike Florida, we will likely see several more freezes - probably light, but still get them. Spring is still officially about 5 weeks away.

I think my Windmill palm will recover.... I think its just frond damage. If it dont, then I just keep thinking oh well, it was not meant to be here anyway.

I am suprised though that my Southern Live Oaks took it with stride. I thought they would defoliate, but they didnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
I called it the waking to a winter wonderland morning lol
We also had no wind which helps keep the frost down.

We have some really nice weather coming the next 10 days so hopefully I will start to see some re-growth well lol one can hope.

A lot of the stuff that got damaged will come back it will just look shabby for a few weeks. it may sound strange but the damaged part will actually help insulate the reaming parts of the plant should we get another freeze which is why I need to hide my pruners and have some patience

If not I see a visit to the nursery in my future and I love plant shopping

Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
The biggest problem I am having is trying to avoid the urge to start trimming things back.
lol I am tempted to have my husband hide the pruners
Yes!
I will not trim our poor tree fern until all danger of frost is past.
It really got hit pretty hard.

Good news: my neighbor's staghorn did get some frost damage, but it is not as bad off as I had feared.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Default Ready to move South!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/IMG_5377.jpg (broken link)
I found this last week one morning in a dish of water I had outside.
I am South-West of Daytona.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
If my plants die, they die. Some do look a bit brown now..... I did water them the night before the freeze, however. I was able to work from home in my fluffy robe in front of a fire during the freeze. My kids had fun spraying the car windshield with the hose to get rid of the frost before taking them to school in the morning. (I drove them to school in my fluffy robe- LOL!) Life is good!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
One positive thing about the freeze was that all that's left green in my lawn are the weeds, so I had a dandy time yesterday in the 80 degree weather pulling the dastardlies by hand.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Doesn't sound too positive ^^^^ LoL, but one thing is for sure, outside of weeds, if your plants made it this winter, this winter being atypically cold, then by golly they would probably be fine any other winter and you will not have as much to worry about. If my foxtail makes it fine, and it is still only a baby (6-7 ft tall), after a few years of growth it will really be able to take a beating and I will probably have to add a royal palm to the collection, as well.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:53 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
One positive thing about the freeze was that all that's left green in my lawn are the weeds, so I had a dandy time yesterday in the 80 degree weather pulling the dastardlies by hand.
This is the best time to weed because they stand out so well

I have it on my "to do list" for tomorrow

I actually mowed yesterday lol what a difference the dead brown lawn looks when it is a tidy dead brown lawn

Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
This is the best time to weed because they stand out so well

I have it on my "to do list" for tomorrow

I actually mowed yesterday lol what a difference the dead brown lawn looks when it is a tidy dead brown lawn
lol... well our lawn is finally greening up some, which is typical for this time of year, even up here. Recent 70s and rain has greened things up some, but winters far from over up here. It was actually flurrying around 11pm and 37°... now its clear and still 37°. The high was only 52°, which is about normal for us this time of year.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 AM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
Yes my lawn is brown very brown. This is the first time in a while I have seen so much frost on the ground. As usual when spring arrives its like it never happen. All of my palm trees are doing ok, bird of paradise which finally gained some size last yr is frozen almost back to the ground. Yard looks horrible,,sick of the freezes,,cant wait to take pics this spring and summer,,Karla make sure you start a thread for yard pics this yr...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville