Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM

13 posts, read 43,425 times

Advertisements

This is my first year making the attempt. Helped my dad a lot back in the day, but that was in NC. We have cucumbers, tomatos, onions, beans, peas, and some herbs sprouting. I'm hoping to have lots of fresh veggies to bring in to our residents here.

We have a typical Riverside backyard, and am trying to keep things mostly in containers. Does anyone know of good sources for information/websites that pertain specifically to vegetable gardening in NE FLA?

What have you had good luck with here?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Metro lofts
Here is a great link to the U of Fl IFAS Extension office on growing veggies

Starting Vegetable Gardens from Seed - Gardening in a Minute

You can also call the Duval County Extension office 904-387-8858 The phones are manned by Master Gardeners that can answer any specific questions you may have.
You can also request literature that they will mail to you at no charge.

I planted my first ever tomato plant last week, in a pot it will be interesting to see how it progresses.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
Tomatoes grow well here. Last yr I had bell pepper, red peppers, squash, banana peppers, and herbs. I do pefer exotic fruit trees though.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the info Karla, will call them today. I have two kinds to tomatoes planted in the little pop bottle cloches that I made. Just noticed some hot tomato action last night!

Keith - what kind of exotic fruit trees have you had luck with here? I need a small tree for the backyard. Trying to get away from the bomb crater look (thanks dogs!).

Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I am growing arugula now, along with lots and lots of herbs (chives, Vietnamese cilantro, oregano, thyme, parsley, purple sage etc).
I will be growing several different kinds of tomatoes in pots: Sungold, Sweet Baby Girl, etc, and lots of basil, too.
But the tomatoes and basil won't be planted until March.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Keith - what kind of exotic fruit trees have you had luck with here? I need a small tree for the backyard. Trying to get away from the bomb crater look (thanks dogs!).[/quote]

Star Fruit, Sapodilla, Dwarf Mangos, and Lycee all produce fruit last yr. Right now my mangos are in bloom some with small fruit. Its been tough this yr because of the many freezes, moving pots in and out. None of these trees will probably survive in the ground unless you build a protective shelter for winter. I have mine in very large pots which I move to a protected location. This yr I have purchased many more trees Barbados cherry, strawberry tree, african plum,jackfruit,pigeon plum, sugar apple and more. Going to take some pics this yr. Also pots are good for putting your veggies in also.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM

Keith - your yard must be magnificent!!!

I am looking for a small-ish tree to screen the garage apartment behind my yard. Would be nice if it grew something edible too, but mostly need for privacy. Would love a potted tree, but would nurture, then forget, then kill, then be sad : (

but...MY ARTICHOKES POPPED UP THIS WEEKEND!! YAY!!!!! (hope they will grow in pots......)

Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 AM

Its ok I will have pics this yr.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 AM

Keith - You MUST post those pictures when you get them!

Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 AM

Will do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville