Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 13,323 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone.

I will be moving to the Jacksonville area within the next month and wanted to check up on boating activities.

My main question is if there are any "hang outs or party islands" around that anyone knows of.

I am from the Wilmington, NC area and we have a couple great spots where people get together on an uninhabited island durring the weekends to have a few beers and hang out. Is there anything like this around Jacksonville? I googled my butt off but can't find anything. any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 AM

21 posts, read 66,408 times
Tippman....I've tried googling the same thing and have come up empty handed. I'm moving down from Richmond, VA the 1st of July. We have several raft up spots on the James here and I'm certain there has to be the same thing on the St. John's but can't seem to find any info on where the best spots to boat, ski, relax, sight see, etc....I did find not one, but TWO "boat-up" Hooters that will definately warrant a visit!

I second the question...any answers would be great!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
We are big in boating as well, w/a 20' Cuddy Cabin we bought a couple of months ago here.
As far as islands on the St. John's to "party" at, none that we have heard of or found on a map. We know what you are talking about though....there was an island in the middle of Lake Norman (north of Charlotte, NC) that we were told was definitely a "party" type one, but we never went there b/c we didn't have a boat while living there. Besides that, wife/I are in our early 60's and most of our "party days" are over now.

As far as places to dock a boat and "party"......Whitey's Fish Camp/Restaurant on the end of Doctor's Lake is one. There is a Hooter's Bar/Restaurant at Goodby's Landing where there are also docking areas for boats. Then there is Jacksonville Landing downtown where there is one long dock for tying up and a Hooter's there along with a few other restarants. The Landing is one HOT place for boaters to go on the weekends. Some great events take place at the Landing also.
We have heard that there are other places/restaurants to dock a boat at along the St. John's River, but don't remember the name of them. Sorry.

Maybe, once you get here, we will see you out on the river!!
"Fun In The Sun" (boat name)

Old 05-28-2009, 03:22 PM

353 posts, read 1,148,585 times
This is a good place to start. Jacksonville Performance Boat Club - Home This is Jacksonville based boat club with great group boaters who love boating and having a great time! We always have something going on on the river.

Lots and lots of waterfront watering holes in and around Jax. As mentioned before, yes 2 waterfont Hooters. 1 at the Landing and 1 on Goodbys Creek. Whiteys is my favorites on Doctors Lake. You also have Outback Crabshack on Six Mile creek; Porky's Landing in Palatka; Fast Boys wings on the ICW and of course everything in St. Augustine.

As far as rafting up there are several options. Ft. Georges inlet; Black Creek; Bayard point sand bar; Anastasia Island in St. A; the sand bar just south of Palatka and of course Silver Glen Springs.

If anyone is around June 5th,6th we are having a HUGE poker run on the St. Johns river that weekend. 100+ boats running a 150 miles charted course from Metro Park marina downtown to Palatka and back. Inlcuding stops inbetween. The boats will be at Metro Park on Fri and Sat morning if you wanna check them out. Nice hardware! most boats run 70mph+ with maybe a dozen running 150+. A couple 170+ boats as well! Awesome stuff. And if your on the water saturday morning you'll see them in action! Starting just south of the Fuller Warren bridge running to Julington Creek for the first leg.

You can check out the course and schdule of events in including the street partys or sign up for the event here... plus lots of great pictures and videos of past years events. Jacksonville River Ralley Poker Run

A great charity event benefitting local charities.

OK...done rambling...
RR

Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Very good "rambling" though! And, thanks for the cool comment in my Thread!
Weither on the water or on land, we plan to be at both events......Tall Ships, this weekend and the Poker Run next weekend. We are excited about both events.......and, of course, the 4th of July Fireworks on the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1v3rRat View Post
This is a good place to start. Jacksonville Performance Boat Club - Home This is Jacksonville based boat club with great group boaters who love boating and having a great time! We always have something going on on the river.

Lots and lots of waterfront watering holes in and around Jax. As mentioned before, yes 2 waterfont Hooters. 1 at the Landing and 1 on Goodbys Creek. Whiteys is my favorites on Doctors Lake. You also have Outback Crabshack on Six Mile creek; Porky's Landing in Palatka; Fast Boys wings on the ICW and of course everything in St. Augustine.

As far as rafting up there are several options. Ft. Georges inlet; Black Creek; Bayard point sand bar; Anastasia Island in St. A; the sand bar just south of Palatka and of course Silver Glen Springs.

If anyone is around June 5th,6th we are having a HUGE poker run on the St. Johns river that weekend. 100+ boats running a 150 miles charted course from Metro Park marina downtown to Palatka and back. Inlcuding stops inbetween. The boats will be at Metro Park on Fri and Sat morning if you wanna check them out. Nice hardware! most boats run 70mph+ with maybe a dozen running 150+. A couple 170+ boats as well! Awesome stuff. And if your on the water saturday morning you'll see them in action! Starting just south of the Fuller Warren bridge running to Julington Creek for the first leg.

You can check out the course and schdule of events in including the street partys or sign up for the event here... plus lots of great pictures and videos of past years events. Jacksonville River Ralley Poker Run

A great charity event benefitting local charities.

OK...done rambling...
RR

Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 PM

21 posts, read 66,408 times
I can't wait for 4th of July and NAS JAX airshow from the river! How about waterskiing?...where do people ski on the river?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:20 PM

353 posts, read 1,148,585 times
As far as skiing and wakeboarding. 99.9% of the time you do not see it on the river.... conditions just aren't what skiers and wakeboarders are looking for. Where the watersports like that are found is on the side shoot waterways like Black creeck, Julington creek, Doctors Lake and pottsburgh creek which yes...all flow into the St. Johns.

RR

Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 13,175 times
Default Just moved from Richmond, VA

I've had the same questions. In Richmond, we all anchor and swim or pull skiers or whatever. I moved here a month ago and I couldn't find anywhere to "hang" out on the water. I will definitely check out those places that were posted. I have a 16" Starcraft, so if anyone is hanging out on the water, lemme know (as I hate boating alone)....

Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 PM

560 posts, read 2,075,778 times
If you are methodical with GoogleEarth, you can check out all the sattilite photos of islands in the river. I really couldn't tell you which ones might actually have people hanging out - but it's pretty easy to spot the ones with tiny "beaches" for pulling up in small motor boats. I'd look around Arlington/Ft Caroline and down into the Intracoastal.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 7,710 times
same question here... moving to st john county in july 2015, have a place to dock the boat , near juligton creek, and wondering about fishing ( if good) and places to maybe beach the boat and hang out with family friends for a few hours. I have a 23 ft and was told can be easliy navagated around the river. Maybe some comments so I see if St. Johns riveris right for me or go to St. Augustine near Tolomatic river to the ocean. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville