Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,561 times

Advertisements

My daughter is entering here final year at FCSL and is very pleased with her education there. It is in a very safe and pleasant environment, has interesting and committed professors, and challenges the students in preparation for their careers to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 AM

41 posts, read 122,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcjsr View Post
My daughter is entering here final year at FCSL and is very pleased with her education there. It is in a very safe and pleasant environment, has interesting and committed professors, and challenges the students in preparation for their careers to be.
That is all a given. No one ever said the education is sub-par. The reputation of the school is what is far below par.

You see, all law schools - from Harvard and Stanford all the way to Cooley and Florida Coastal - teach the same law and the same skills. The two differences in graduates from top schools and unranked schools like Coastal are:
1) no one has ever heard of Florida Coastal, and most people who have unfortunately have not heard good things, which results in graduates being treated with a presumption of incompetence by other lawyers and lay persons alike; and
2) if someone winds up at Florida Coastal, their credentials weren't good enough to get into a top school, and so they have no zing to their resume or real fall-back options when law doesn't pan out.

Let's face it, Coastal is not anyone's first choice - it is only a "safety net" school at best, and a lot of students are going simply because they don't know what else to do with their English degree.

Coastal, as a for-profit company, has to produce a profit for the shareholders. This has resulted in the school accepting 700-800 students per incoming class (with another 100-200 admitted in the spring), so that the school realizes a huge profit. It really is a genius business model and a real cash cow. Here are links to a couple of New York Times articles explaining the phenomenon:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/bu...pagewanted=all
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/bu...ion-rises.html

In sum, students of Coastal usually race to the defense of the school with the same arguments: the education is great, fantastic location, profs are nice and caring, etc., etc. The sad truth is, however, that almost all Coastal grads spent way too much on a degree that will never really pay for itself, but will instead leave them taking jobs for which they are vastly overqualified and grossly underpaid. Most students will be too ashamed to even list Florida Coastal on their facebook info page.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:36 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,476,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcjsr View Post
Post again 6 months after she graduates and takes the bar. Let us know which law firm has hired her or at what McDonald's she is working at. Hopefully she will be in the legal field in some capacity.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:54 AM

My Mother whom IMO is a genius, always said that a law degree was the best thing to get. Before you went out into the real business world, and got on with running a business. Because it trained one to think quickly on your feet and so prepared you for business and life in general. She also said that there's thousands of starving lawyers out there, chasing ambulances and hoping for a break. (of my Mothers 4 brothers 3 were lawyers 1 was even the Atty General for the State they grew up in, the last brother became a Priest)

Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 AM

Yeah, the unfortunate truth is that are just too many lawyers. A friend of mine who works for the Florida Bar said they're expecting 3,000-3,500 people to take the bar exam next week. There simply are not enough jobs to go around.

Bad economy + glut of lawyers + crappy law degree = no job for most grads

Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCSL_08 View Post
Yeah, the unfortunate truth is that are just too many lawyers. A friend of mine who works for the Florida Bar said they're expecting 3,000-3,500 people to take the bar exam next week. There simply are not enough jobs to go around.

Bad economy + glut of lawyers + crappy law degree = no job for most grads
LOL...My Mother said that little pearl of wisdom 40 years ago, when I was 17 and debating on where to attend college (I was down to Mercer or Wofford) before going to law school. Thats when my Mother said that "a law degree was the best thing to get. Before you went out into the real business world, and got on with running a business." And "there's thousands of starving lawyers out there, chasing ambulances and hoping for a break." She also stated that her sainted brother (the priest) spent most of his free time prayin for the lost souls of his misguided brothers (the lawyers) and to not add to his burden by becoming a lawyer...LOL. So I didnt, I went to West Point instead.
(which I/m sure caused Fr. Sullivan to pray even harder)

Old 07-30-2011, 01:54 PM

604 posts, read 1,514,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBeeMel View Post
I was recently accepted to Florida Coastal School of Law in Jacksonville.
It seems like a pretty good school that's located in an awesome city.

However, I've been doing some research on law student message boards, and I keep reading that the law school is not well respected in Florida at all...not even in Jacksonville.
Some people claim that it's difficult for Florida Coastal grads to find jobs in Jacksonville, because all the jobs go to the University of Florida and Florida State grads instead.

As residents of Jacksonville, I would like your take on the law school. Does it really have a bad rep in Jacksonville? Do you know of any successful lawyers within Jacksonville that graduated from Florida Coastal? How about the area the school is located in? Is it a good area? I do plan to research some more and visit the campus, but I would really love to hear what you all have to say!

Thank you!
No it is to expensive and you will be stuck with massive debt making 10 bucks an hour.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM

205 posts, read 388,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBeeMel View Post
I was recently accepted to Florida Coastal School of Law in Jacksonville.
It seems like a pretty good school that's located in an awesome city.

However, I've been doing some research on law student message boards, and I keep reading that the law school is not well respected in Florida at all...not even in Jacksonville.
Some people claim that it's difficult for Florida Coastal grads to find jobs in Jacksonville, because all the jobs go to the University of Florida and Florida State grads instead.

As residents of Jacksonville, I would like your take on the law school. Does it really have a bad rep in Jacksonville? Do you know of any successful lawyers within Jacksonville that graduated from Florida Coastal? How about the area the school is located in? Is it a good area? I do plan to research some more and visit the campus, but I would really love to hear what you all have to say!

Thank you!
I have a very good friend who just graduated from there... said it was very difficult... but if you work your butt off its well worth it

She now owns her own law firm up in the midwest...

Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclipsedheart View Post
I have a very good friend who just graduated from there... said it was very difficult... but if you work your butt off its well worth it

She now owns her own law firm up in the midwest...
She just graduated from FCSL? And shes already hung out her own shingle? Was she independently wealthy before going to FCSL? How big is the town where she set up shop? And is she like the only lawyer in town? Makes one wonder about the quality of representation one would get from an untested and untried lawyer just starting out on their own. Not saying its un-doable, I just would think twice about using a new lawyer.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Yeah, someone opening their own firm right out of school means that they couldn't find a job elsewhere; it is not a badge of honor. Opening your own firm means: 1) you make no money and 2) you deal with ****ty clients and ****ty cases. It isn't glamourous or lucrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville