Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,350,104 times

Advertisements

We've been driving ourselves, our friends, and probably some forum members buggy trying to decide where to live in Florida, and now we're thinking of Jacksonville. After looking at Tampa/St.Pete (online, of course) we pretty much ruled it out because it's on the Gulf side and from what I know about Fl. that side is more at risk from hurricanes. Direct hits, anyway. New Smyrna and St. Augustine looked good until I researched the public transportation systems, which we rely on. They're really borderline, to put it mildly.

The facts on paper look good for Jax, but reading some of the posts has us worried. Maybe "Florida's largest city" doesn't necessarily mean what I think that term means. It sounds like it's really spread out (big), but doesn't have much of a real walkable downtown w/ interesting things to do (town, not a city). Liberal and cosmopolitan I don't really expect, as it IS Florida, but I'm sure we could find good matches for friends. There's a LOT of people in that area, and I like that it's not far from Savannah and S.C. The public transportation looks pretty decent too. We won't be living beach side on our money, so that isn't a realistic desire.

I'm white and 60 and the 'ol lady is black and 50ish. Not sure why I even mention this in this day and age as it has never been one bit of trouble anywhere we've lived, but it might be a factor some places. We like things like live music in small venues or coffee houses, going to the beach, biking, photography and art, going out to eat at moderately priced but good restaurants (give me a bowl of gumbo, some bread and a beer and I'm in heaven). Stuff like that. Think it might work? We'll go up to that general area and rent before buying anything, but I wondered what others, especially people who are living in Jax, think. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,902,096 times
Will you rely totally on public transportation to live everyday life and get to employment? Public transportation is not very good in JAX. The city is very spread out. For public transportation to work at all for you in JAX, it's important to determine what areas of the city have the amenities you will take advantage of on a frequent basis and focus your housing and employment search there. If you want to be on the JAX beaches frequently, living near the beach is a must, otherwise, the public transport issue will not work. I live in St. Augustine and the public transportation service here has won national awards. It really is very good for the size little city we are. Depending on the price range you have for renting, I think you should take a serious first hand look at what St. Augustine offers. The art and cultural venues, beaches and number of people contributing to our community here are amazing. The only downside here is employment which is difficult.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,289,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

The facts on paper look good for Jax, but reading some of the posts has us worried. Maybe "Florida's largest city" doesn't necessarily mean what I think that term means. It sounds like it's really spread out (big), but doesn't have much of a real walkable downtown w/ interesting things to do (town, not a city). Liberal and cosmopolitan I don't really expect, as it IS Florida, but I'm sure we could find good matches for friends. There's a LOT of people in that area, and I like that it's not far from Savannah and S.C. The public transportation looks pretty decent too. We won't be living beach side on our money, so that isn't a realistic desire.

I'm white and 60 and the 'ol lady is black and 50ish. Not sure why I even mention this in this day and age as it has never been one bit of trouble anywhere we've lived, but it might be a factor some places. We like things like live music in small venues or coffee houses, going to the beach, biking, photography and art, going out to eat at moderately priced but good restaurants (give me a bowl of gumbo, some bread and a beer and I'm in heaven). Stuff like that. Think it might work? We'll go up to that general area and rent before buying anything, but I wondered what others, especially people who are living in Jax, think. Thanks!
There are few walkable/bikeable neighborhoiods in Jax, but the one's we do have are really great.

Riverside & Avondale historic district is sort of the standard, with a lot of culture, parks, vibrancy, and fun energy. It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for: www.riverside-avondale.com

San Marco is somewhat similar, but more posh: www.mysanmarco.com

Springfield historic district is somewhat similar, but still being gentrified: www.myspringfield.org

And the others would be Atlantic/Neptune Beach.

These areas will have better connectivity and public transportation as well, but none have what you'd consider "good" public transit.
Thankfully, this may be changing in the next 4 years...

All have been featured in local & national press in the last year +, with Riverside & Avondale and Springfield historic districts getting most of the accolades. If you want the various articles and pieces, i'd be happy to link them for you.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:51 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,350,104 times
I'm curious how a city like St. Augustine has won ANY transportation awards, as their bus company, the wonderfully named Sunshine Bus Company, stops running at 6PM, has no Sunday service, and is closed for most holidays. Take it from a long time bus rider, that is not a good public transportation system by any definition. However sketchy Jacksonville's bus system may be, looking at their website shows it's a huge improvement over what is in St. Augustine.

Sounds like there's some good walking neighborhoods there fsu813. Thanks. And yes, we'll be doing everything by bus and bike. What we can't get to w/ those methods, we'll take a cab or shuttle to. Been doing it for many, many years in many cities. Here in Las Cruces, NM we have a bare bones system similar to St. Augustine, and it isn't nearly enough. In fact, I'd rather be in a city w/ no buses than one w/ a scaled down bus system. No false hopes in that scenario.

Fortunately I'm retired and the wife works just part time, so we don't need a big public transportation system like Atlanta, or even Tampa, to do what we need to do. Bike racks on buses open up a lot of options also.

Last edited by smarino; 09-27-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM

23 posts, read 50,243 times
Quote:
I'm curious how a city like St. Augustine has won ANY transportation awards, as their bus company, the wonderfully named Sunshine Bus Company, stops running at 6PM, has no Sunday service, and is closed for most holidays. Take it from a long time bus rider, that is not a good public transportation system by any definition. However sketchy Jacksonville's bus system may be, looking at their website shows it's a huge improvement over what is in St. Augustine.

Sounds like there's some good walking neighborhoods there fsu813. Thanks. And yes, we'll be doing everything by bus and bike. What we can't get to w/ those methods, we'll take a cab or shuttle to. Been doing it for many, many years in many cities. Here in Las Cruces, NM we have a bare bones system similar to St. Augustine, and it isn't nearly enough. In fact, I'd rather be in a city w/ no buses than one w/ a scaled down bus system. No false hopes in that scenario.

Fortunately I'm retired and the wife works just part time, so we don't need a big public transportation system like Atlanta, or even Tampa, to do what we need to do. Bike racks on buses open up a lot of options also.
Honey, don't be living out in San Marco, etc! That will eat up all your savings, and the people there are stuck up, for the most part.
You'd be better off living in Southside, Westside, or Arlington. The bus service here, in my neighborhood, is pretty good, and very reliable. I ride my bicycle here, on the main streets, and up to the post office, and it's as safe as you make it.
I've lived in the same neighborhood, in Arlington, for 28 years, and it's a nice neighborhood. No 2 story houses, but a lot of decent people, who work every day, (or, some of the wives stay home and are housewives),
and mind their own business.
Think about it.
Why live in a ritzy neighborhood, where your neighbors will be aghast at the fact that you are a racially mixed marriage. I'm SERIOUS.
Our granddaughter is bi-racial, and we put her through private school here.
Well, one day, I was waiting in line to go on a field trip with my granddaughter's class, and I was talking to this well-to-do parent, and I asked him what he thought of all the new black students in the school. He was quite negative about it, very candid. Then, I smiled, and called my granddaughter over, gave her a hug, and he almost fell off his seat.
SO.....I'm just sayin'...........

Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM

23 posts, read 50,243 times
Quote:
I'm curious how a city like St. Augustine has won ANY transportation awards, as their bus company, the wonderfully named Sunshine Bus Company, stops running at 6PM, has no Sunday service, and is closed for most holidays.
Sounds like there's some good walking neighborhoods there fsu813. Bike racks on buses open up a lot of options also.

Jacksonville does have a good bus system. Very good.
You can walk just as well in Westside, as you can in the neighborhoods with mansions.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,187,603 times
I agree with what fsu said. And Springfield is definitely a place to consider. Also take a second look at the Beaches, it's not terribly expensive here and bikes are a very common mode of transportation.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:37 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,902,096 times
IMO the quality of the bus service depends on where in JAX you live and where you need to go. Not all routes run into the eve. and on weekend in JAX. Here is an excellent link to a lot of first hand information regarding living in JAX without a car. Car-Free in Jacksonville (also online at http://carfreeinjax.com/ )
Anyone moving to JAX withour a car needs to choose their home neighborhood very carefully after much research and confirmation regarding bus routes to transport to work, school, medical appointments and favorite pastime spots. The OP needs to understand that St. Augustine is a very unique small town. The people who live here and use the bus system are very happy with the service. 18,000 people per month use the system which is a lot of people considering the smaller population size living here. Hardly any small towns our size have a public transportation system. The buses do not run in the eve because there isn't a demand for it. People here use the buses to get to employment, school, hospital, shopping, etc. Evenings are spent in their homes / neighborhoods. Most of my friends who do not own cars live downtown where they can walk to their favorite night-time and weekend activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville