Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 9,073 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the Jacksonville Area soon. I was wondering if anyone knew of any Korean/Asian communities or subdivisions I should be looking into. I am looking for an area that has a good school district, close to shopping and is family friendly area. If anyone knows any, please let me know.. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:23 PM

87 posts, read 360,877 times
Sorry I can't help you...BUT I am considering a move to Jacksonville/Saint Johns area and have a young daughter from China...wondering about the Asian population there myself...

Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
I'm not familiar with any "dedicated" neighborhoods for Asians, but I can say I have several Asian families living in my small neighborhood in the Mandarin area. And, the Mandarin area would meet your other criteria.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylily View Post
I am looking to relocate to the Jacksonville Area soon. I was wondering if anyone knew of any Korean/Asian communities or subdivisions I should be looking into. I am looking for an area that has a good school district, close to shopping and is family friendly area. If anyone knows any, please let me know.. Thanks in advance.
I'm not going to touch this one, but it's interesting how one can ask this question, but all of ya'll know if a person replaced "Asian community" with "white community", people would get bent out of shape.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:02 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylily View Post
I had a good number of Korean friends growing up, and I think there were several Korean churches and a Korean school too (although the language schools might have just been conducted through the churches).

There's quite a few of them listed here...just search for "korean" on this page:
Jacksonville Churches

Anyway, that could be a good starting point. There's no "Korean district" but there should be enough Koreans and Asians that you don't feel completely isolated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReniHope View Post
Sorry I can't help you...BUT I am considering a move to Jacksonville/Saint Johns area and have a young daughter from China...wondering about the Asian population there myself...
It's not huge, but like I said, enough that I never felt out of place. I grew up and race was never an emphasis in my day-to-day life, but still, once a week (or however often it might be) we'd get together for special functions with lots of other Chinese families (there's a healthy size Chinese Association in Jax. Actually, a couple: PRC and Taiwan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FittyCents View Post
did you see that Clint Eastwood movie Gran Turino? that neighborhood was dangerous.
Well...it was in Detroit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
I'm not going to touch this one, but it's interesting how one can ask this question, but all of ya'll know if a person replaced "Asian community" with "white community", people would get bent out of shape.
Maybe. I've seen plenty of those threads here on CD that have done just that, but a few that haven't degenerated to such a level. I personally have no problem with someone asking either question, assuming there is no racist motivation, but would also like to point out that there is a difference between a minority group seeking a comfortable environment with others of their minority. This would be akin to a German looking for other Germans or an LDS looking for other Mormons. Of course, it all comes down to intent...and whether it's racist or just seeking comfort through shared customs, language, culture, etc.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 AM

859 posts, read 3,616,779 times
Stay East of the St. John's River and most will recommend St John's county for good schools.
As mentioned above, there are few Korean churches in town and we have fairly decent sized Korean community. Plenty of little Asian grocery stores but there is a large Korean grocery store on Beach Blvd. Just no full blown Asian supermarkets. We don't have centralized Asian strip malls nor really any specialty shops, the only Korean gift shop I know of is morning glory on Atlantic Blvd. And literally only a hand full of decent Korean restaurants in town.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM

20 posts, read 61,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Well...it was in Detroit...
last time i checked jacksonville aint murder-free.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM

20 posts, read 56,682 times
Anyone know of any white conservative neighborhoods in Jacksonville?

Oh, never mind, I forgot, my parents live in one. And even though I have conservative values, I have always found the idea of segregation unappealing. It is hard to move forward when you begin by moving backwards.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:59 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,341 times
I think a couple of members are taking this thread the wrong way.

Asian Communities are so because Asians are communal. They would want to live near others because they share the culture - not because they don't like another race.

They help each other because of the attitudes of those who are having a problem with an Asian asking about Asian communities.

I asked about them myself, because I enjoy shopping at Asian markets - and I am Native.

Come on, now!

New Yorkers, especially Puerto Ricans, are not trying to take over Florida and Asians just want to meet other Asians and have access to their culture.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,835 times
"New Yorkers, especially Puerto Ricans, are not trying to take over Florida"

^^^LOL, who said that? They did however take over Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville