Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:04 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,931,181 times

Advertisements

Tallahassee is once again talking about the Outer Beltway project - the 46 mile roadway to connect I-10, through Clay County, to I-95 in St Johns County. I honestly don't see the roadway's value to those who live and work in the Jacksonville area: it appears to me to be more for those who travel through our area to get to somewhere else. However, for those who would consider using portions of it, be aware that it will be a toll road. This would be especially burdensome for those who currently use the Shands Bridge since the project would replace that bridge with a new one - with a toll.

What bothers me quite a bit is the incentive the legislature wants to offer any contractor who'll build and maintain the toll road - tax exempt status. Their reasoning is that it took 20 years to complete 9A, and by offering an incentive, they hope to have the roadway built and operating in 5-7 years.

So, hit us twice Tallahassee - first by making us pay a toll and second by taking more tax dollars out of the pot.

Story here:
D.O.T. Wants New Toll Road - CBS47.com Jacksonville News Leader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,087,057 times
Yeah, I've heard that the intent is to serve those bypassing the city. But my fear (and one shared by many) is that this will just contribute to further sprawl...and Jax certainly doesnt need any more of that. Let's get some infill going...no more sprawl!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,931,181 times
Yes, sprawl would happen. I presume it's a given that any exits off the beltway would find gas stations and fast food joints popping up if there were none nearby. That's just the beginning.

I would much prefer that the $2 billion be used for improving what we already have (hey, how about an incentive to the contractors working on the I-10/I-95 area or JTB to get those finished lickety split??) or to spend the money on a viable public transporation system.

I was listening to the DOT spokesman last night on the news who used the trigger words "Buckman Bridge congestion" to try and make this beltway idea generate a "yes we need it" from the public. Seriously, the beltway would not help the Buckman one little bit. But the DOT knows that people only half listen/half read things, and hearing "Buckman relief" and "outer beltway" together can make folks say "yeah, let's do it". Outrageous and disgusting.

What was also disturbing is that no one can rein in the DOT. Essentially they can do what they want. The only thing holding up the beltway project at the moment is the legislature who are debating the tax exempt status, and once they vote on that, the DOT goes on its merry way and will spend $2 billion in our tax dollars whether we want them to spend it or not.

As for the idea that the beltway construction project will bring in a bunch of jobs to this area, I'm not sure. The project will go out for bid, but will the winning contractor bring its own crews or will there be some local employment? I'm curious how many locals were/are employed on the current projects (9A, JTB, I-95/I-10, Doctors Lake Bridge, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville