Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,106,019 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be a good idea to start a Jax area gardening thread.
Especially with so many new folks moving in to our area that will be experiencing different gardening "issues" than what they are use to.

In addition to questions folks may have, we could also post tips and suggestions.

What do you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 04:08 AM

Here is my first "tip"

If you haven't fertilized your Citrus now is the time.

Get a good granulated Citrus fertilizer and apply it beginning 12" from the trunk and extend it to the "drip line" (the outer leaves) work it gently into the soil and water it in.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
I've been using Espoma's organic Citrus Tone and it works very well. I just shake some onto the dirt and water it in .

All Natural Organic Citrus food for Organic Gardening

Old 03-29-2009, 02:47 AM

Riv
I tried that one for the first time this year and was very pleased !!!!

It is a much finer granular and I didn't have to "work" it in as much

Old 03-29-2009, 04:44 AM

589 posts, read 1,635,209 times
Where do I get a citrus tree to plant? What's a good one for orange / tangelo type fruit?

Front yard? Back yard? How much space to plan for future growth?

I am a fledgling (still not even hatched yet) gardener so be kind and thorough! LOL

And... can you come plant it for me? hahahaha

Old 03-29-2009, 05:07 AM

lol sum1else

I saw you were in a new home congrats !!!

I have to go let my friends dog out them go meet our friends for breakfast
But when I get back I will post more answers for you

There are quite a few gardeners here on the Jax forum so a "newbee" is always warmly welcomed

Plus if your coming to the pizza meet on Tuesday we can "talk plants "
lol one of my favorite subjects !!!!

p.s. just a warning gardening can be very addicting

Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
p.s. just a warning gardening can be very addicting
Especially when K with a K is in the house! :-)

I bought a cheapo orange tree at Lowe's the first month I moved here (you know, become a Floridian and gotta have a citrus tree in the yard :-) It's still in a pot, but it gave me three oranges the first season and another three oranges last season (December is harvest time for that particular species). Once I put it in the ground I know it'll be a even happier camper.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Especially when K with a K is in the house! :-)

I bought a cheapo orange tree at Lowe's the first month I moved here (you know, become a Floridian and gotta have a citrus tree in the yard
Ditto.
I got two baby Meyer's lemons and managed to *not* kill them and got about 8 lemons.
They are flowering now.
Bought two more of some other kind of lemon. I like lemons.
But all of these are still in pots.
How about all that rain last night? We sure needed it.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 PM

^^^ I *love* Meyer lemons too, BlueWillow! I think they are one of my favorite plants ever - beautiful fruit and flowers, in and out of bloom nearly all year and a tough citrus plant - you can't ask for much more !

Sum, I have bought my citrus in 3 places:

1) Flying Dragon Citrus Nursery in Mandarin: You'll pay more here (about $30 for a small citrus tree), but you'll get quality. Many of their citrus trees are grafted onto Flying Dragon rootstock, hence their name. Flying Dragon rootstock makes a dwarf tree that is very cold-hardy so the extra $ can be worth it if you need that kind of tree.

Flying Dragon Citrus Nursery

2) Beach Blvd Flea Market: $15 per tree, any type. These trees are just as good as you'll get at Lowe's/HD, they are no different (probably the very same supplier). They have the inspection tags and everything, in case anyone is wondering.

Beach Boulevard Flea Market

3) Lowe's: I've only bought one tree here, an impulse purchase. I forget how much it was, $15 or $20?

I'm a newbie to citrus too, but so far, so good . These are the citrus trees I have right now:

Meyer Lemon
Limequat
Variegated Pink Lemon
Persian Lime
Calomondin

I had a Kumquat tree too, courtesy of our very own "Karla with a K", but it died .

I'm obsessed with the idea of getting a Moro Blood Orange tree and a Kaffir Lime tree right now...I need to track them down!

For anyone else new to citrus, I found the following 2 books very helpful:

Month-By-Month Gardening in Florida by Tom MacCubbin

This book covers more than citrus, but the citrus section is wonderful. Tom MacCubbin writes in a very accessible way, I recommend anything he's written.

Ortho All About Citrus & Subtropical Fruits

I borrowed this one from the library, but I'm going to purchase it soon. Great book, more citrus info that you'll probably ever need and color pictures on every page.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM

Question Datil Peppers Anyone??

I have a question.....

I'd like to try growing Datil Peppers. Does anyone know of a local source for Datil seedlings or seeds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville