Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:58 AM

266 posts, read 853,202 times

Advertisements

I have been dreaming for a long time of moving to Jacksonville, so I lurk on this forum all the time. I have to say, you guys have been so helpful in answering tons of questions from people all over the country (and world) that I rarely need to post anything!

The great information you pass along to everyone has really helped me understand the neighborhoods and general lifestyle of the area, but what impresses me the most is everyone's willingness to jump in and help out anybody who asks for advice. I belong to several other forums (not about Jax, other subjects) where most of the regulars and even the moderators are downright RUDE, especially to newbies who ask a question that has already been asked. You guys have got the friendliest, most active, useful forum that I ever visit. You rock!!

I currently live in Michigan, but my husband's employer has an office in Jax with some future job potential for him, so he's buffing up his resume while we get our finances in shape to buy a cute little house in a nice neighborhood - hopefully within the next 12-18 months. So, I'll keep lurking and absorbing all your great advice until I can actually get my butt down there. I get to visit for a few days in May, can't wait!

Just wanted to say thanks to all! You have no idea how helpful you are, even to folks like me who are kind of "invisible!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniepep View Post
The great information you pass along to everyone has really helped me understand the neighborhoods and general lifestyle of the area, but what impresses me the most is everyone's willingness to jump in and help out anybody who asks for advice. I belong to several other forums (not about Jax, other subjects) where most of the regulars and even the moderators are downright RUDE, especially to newbies who ask a question that has already been asked. You guys have got the friendliest, most active, useful forum that I ever visit. You rock!!
LOL ... I picked up on this paragraph in your post and I found it interesting because only recently I was inquiring about Savannah, GA planning my first visit there for an upcoming weekend and this is the response I got from one person on their forum:
Quote:

Do some research in all threads on this board.
Been covered ad nauseum.
Admittedly, there were others who were very helpful. It is true that some questions can be somewhat repetitive and boring and I don't mean to discourage researching but I believe every poster deserves some courtesy plus there is always something a little unique about every question. My position is, if you don't want to answer a question, just don't open the thread, it's that simple.

Anyway, I am glad you are finding our forum friendly and informative and you can ask any question you feel like ad nauseum. I'm sure there will always be someone who is willing to give you an answer.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,593 times
I agree! it's a great board!

Where in MI are you coming from? I used to live outside of Detroit.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:06 PM

Right now I'm living in North Branch, a VERY tiny farming town about 90 minutes north of Detroit (not to be confused with West Branch, which is a very tiny community much further north on I-75). I'm so tired of cold weather, and of being in the middle of nowhere. I have to drive 40 miles to get to work, which is more fun than you can imagine in 12" of snow! wb3690, where did you live? I grew up in Troy and lived in Royal Oak and Novi for a while.

Cricketfan, that is just the kind of post I'm talking about. How sad! The 'worst' I've seen in this forum is a link to other threads with a comment akin to "You might find some helpful information here!" I belong to another forum about Wii games and some of the moderators are just jerks. If anybody asks for a game recommendation, they get a beat-down about using the search tool, then told to visit a 100-pg thread that is basically just a list of games, and then the thread gets locked. Rude! I guess people do get sick of typing the same responses over and over, but you make an excellent point - if you don't want to answer, just don't!

Honestly I never tire of reading everyone's responses to the "where should I live?" query. Based on that I've pretty much narrowed it down to San Marco or Jax Beach. They both would make an easy commute for my hubby (office near I-95 & Baymeadows) and sound like they have some places where a fun couple could get a grouper sandwich and a cold beer. Still, I'll continue to look at all the advice threads and take it all in!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,813 times
Yay!!
Another person for our Pizza Patrol.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Honestly I never tire of reading everyone's responses to the "where should I live?" query. Based on that I've pretty much narrowed it down to San Marco or Jax Beach. They both would make an easy commute for my hubby (office near I-95 & Baymeadows) and sound like they have some places where a fun couple could get a grouper sandwich and a cold beer. Still, I'll continue to look at all the advice threads and take it all in!
Well, there are tons of neighborhoods near that location.
p.s.
You're not a Lions fan, are you?

Old 04-02-2009, 03:33 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
p.s.
You're not a Lions fan, are you?

Silly JagsFan

JeanniePep, I hope you and your husband come hang and have pizza when you get here!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:56 PM

LOL, even the Lions staff and their families are not Lions fans. Remember when they had to move out of the Pontiac Silverdome? Because they could never fill it and the games were always blacked out? And they got a brand spanking new stadium, with far fewer seats? And the games got blacked out anyway. Hating the Lions is one of our beloved pastimes in Michigan, along with shoveling snow and collecting unemployment.

We will miss our beloved Red Wings though! I know hockey is not huge in FL, so we figure it'll be easy to score Lightning tix and make a couple of trips down to Tampa each season.

Pizza invites already! I told you this was a friendly forum! We are looking forward to joining the pizza patrol. If there's anything we enjoy more than a cold beer, it's a cold beer accompanied by a slice of pizza!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
LOL, even the Lions staff and their families are not Lions fans. Remember when they had to move out of the Pontiac Silverdome? Because they could never fill it and the games were always blacked out? And they got a brand spanking new stadium, with far fewer seats? And the games got blacked out anyway. Ahhh...well, then you might like the Jaguar games. You'll feel right at home. Hating the Lions is one of our beloved pastimes in Michigan, along with shoveling snowThat is one of the best thing about living here...no shoveling of the snow!!! and collecting unemployment.

We will miss our beloved Red Wings though! I know hockey is not huge in FL, so we figure it'll be easy to score Lightning tix and make a couple of trips down to Tampa each season.

Pizza invites already! I told you this was a friendly forum! We are looking forward to joining the pizza patrol. If there's anything we enjoy more than a cold beer, it's a cold beer accompanied by a slice of pizza!
Now, you're talking!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:36 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,593 times
Quote:
Right now I'm living in North Branch, a VERY tiny farming town about 90 minutes north of Detroit (not to be confused with West Branch, which is a very tiny community much further north on I-75). I'm so tired of cold weather, and of being in the middle of nowhere. I have to drive 40 miles to get to work, which is more fun than you can imagine in 12" of snow! wb3690, where did you live? I grew up in Troy and lived in Royal Oak and Novi for a while.

Cricketfan, that is just the kind of post I'm talking about. How sad! The 'worst' I've seen in this forum is a link to other threads with a comment akin to "You might find some helpful information here!" I belong to another forum about Wii games and some of the moderators are just jerks. If anybody asks for a game recommendation, they get a beat-down about using the search tool, then told to visit a 100-pg thread that is basically just a list of games, and then the thread gets locked. Rude! I guess people do get sick of typing the same responses over and over, but you make an excellent point - if you don't want to answer, just don't!

Hey! I used to live in West Bloomfield and Ann Arbor......Go Blue! I miss Michigan's fall weather and plan to be back up there in the summer of 2010 and would LOVE to get to Ann Arbor this fall for Michigan/Notre Dame, but with us moving and I already have house guests coming in October I doubt it will happen.

Amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: