Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 PM

26 posts, read 98,650 times

Advertisements

Anyone hear anything, good or bad, about the Summer Breeze Senior Apts in St Augustine? I'm selling my home and downsizing. These apts look pretty good on their website, and the location is good for me. I just want to know if there is anything I should know before going ahead with my plans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:36 PM

236 posts, read 897,631 times
Default Apt

Did you get any info on those apts? I'm looking for a place for my Mother and needed to know about them too.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 10,295 times
Hi. My Mom lives there and she likes it real well. No complaints, and the people are really nice. Shes made a couple friends and goes to the pool all the time!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 AM

26 posts, read 98,650 times
Smile Summer Breeze Apts in St Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlh View Post
Hi. My Mom lives there and she likes it real well. No complaints, and the people are really nice. Shes made a couple friends and goes to the pool all the time!

Thanks for the info. I have since learned that the apts are available only if your income does not exceed a certain amount. I went over and looked at them and the community is real nice. The manager was very helpful also. Thanks again!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 9,801 times
looking for apt rental for 85 year old independent low income st augustine fl i need adress and phone # to summer breeze apts and is there a way to apply online

Old 01-30-2011, 12:11 PM

27 posts, read 72,853 times
what are the income restrictions? I know they are probably different from state to state. I am on SSD and would love to live there. I'm 60yrs and I know they are for 55+.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,879,160 times
If you are looking for subsidized and low income apartments, in St. Augustine, this is the best website to start with. Summer Breeze is one of the few complexes that is for ages 55+. It is located approx. 5 - 7 miles from Walmart and the hospital. If you do not drive, make sure you ask if the Sunshine Bus or COA (Council on Aging) transport comes on a regular basis. The Sunshine Bus is $1 and COA is free.
http://www.publichousing.com/city/fl-st._augustine
all contact info can be found there. Its very hard to find one bedroom apartments. I don't believe Summer Breeze has one bedroom apts but I could be wrong. Because need exceeds availability of funds, one person usually cannt be subsidized in a two bedroom apartment. Income restricted has many different meanings depending on who you speak with. Be sure to ask lots of questions. It is not just your gross income that they look at. If a renter has a physical disability, it will usually get them off the waiting list and into an apt. quicker. Best Wishes with your search.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,250 times
Default Summer Breeze Apts The Facts From A Resident

There are a few things you need to know about these apartments.

*They are subsidized or rent controlled for those making less than about $24,000.
*The walls are super thin and you can hear what your neighbors are doing. Likewise, they can hear what you are doing (and saying). I use headphones with my TV so I can't hear my neighbor's competing TV's and they can't hear mine. The only place in the bedroom where a bed would fit (headboard) is opposite your neighbor's bed also. If you are in bed talking (or whatever), they can hear you. I use a fan to drown out my neighbor's noise. The floors are made of wood so footsteps are very loud and floors creak. This is not just for upstairs and downstairs, but next door also.
*Kids run wild in the parking lot, they scream terribly and play in the dumpster. Poor supervision.
*Kids take over the clubhouse and are playing games on the computers, so don't expect to be able to use one. It's like a day care center in there and is messy compared to other clubhouses I have seen.
*Some amount of late night parties and drug use/dealing, but that happens most anywhere.
*Summer Breeze is not 55+ as someone posted. That is for Summerset Village on the same street managed by the same company.
*Availability is usually not a problem. I see eviction notices regularly and it is very transient with people coming and going. I wouldn't say that is a good thing by any means.
*On-site maintenance is available, but not always fast. When you think you are calling the office, you are really contacting a call center somewhere; not sure if it's even in the U.S. It's best to go directly to the office with concerns, but office is closed on the weekends.
*W/D hookups in units. You must supply your own appliances. Laundry room on site, but has only 2 regular washers and one heavy duty one ($1.25 and $1.50). 3 dryers at $1.25. Not enough for a complex this size. Laundry room is freezing in winter and like an oven in the summer; no A/C (they have the vents, but they don't turn them on according to the maintenance guy). No table to fold clothes.
*Small fitness room with one treadmill, one bike and one universal. Kids like to play in there also when they can get access. Pool is very shallow; not good for adults.
*Retention pond with fountain looks nice till you get up close. Lots of trash in it toward the edge where people just toss their cups and other debris; has not been cleaned since I've lived here.
*Not a terrible place to live given the price and if management would make parents control kids, make them off the computers in the clubhouse (except for educational purposes) and ventilate the laundry room it would be better.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,021 times
Summer Breeze is for 55+, so I assume the last person who posted just got the two sections of the complex reversed. Summerset Village is for families. Blake C is not talking about Summer Breeze. Summer Breeze does not have any children living there, though they could be there visiting their grandparents. I doubt that Summer Breeze has a big problem with drugs and late night partying, though someone at my current senior apartment recently got arrested for drugs. She had to leave. No washer dryer hookups in Summer Breeze apartments; they have machines in the building, on each floor. I don't know if that is adequate because I have never been in there. Availability is tight, at least for the one-bedroom apartments. I'm applying there but I think if something opens up I'll just have to grab it quick and not be able to give notice at my current apartment which means I lose my security deposit. That's a shame, but, understandably, the managers want to get it rented asap, so you probably have to hop on it.

Summer Breeze apartments are accessed from an interior hallway and there is no private outdoor space. If you look at the floor plans and calculate square footage you will find that the square footage they advertise is significantly inflated, but I believe inflated square footage is more common than actual square footage at apartments nationwide. You can't go by the square footage owners and agents claim for apartments. If it matters to you, take a tape measurer when looking at a unit anywhere.

If you're looking for Summer Breeze, a 55+ senior apartment property, you can disregard everything that Blake C said; he's not talking about Summer Breeze.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,056 times
Default no longer 55+

yourana the apartments are no longer 55+, haven't been for over a year, when the latest owners took over the property they changed to anyone over 18. It is no longer a nice community for older people, a lot of the problems from the other, all ages, side of the complex are now happening at that side, late night parties, strange people roaming the halls at all hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville