Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,118 times

Advertisements

Jax Beach and myself have kind of a History. My Uncle Smitty was with or to me was The Jax Beach Rec. Dept. They put on shows at the old band Shell. I remember it was painted kinda aqua blue. I grew up most of my life in the country, (Melrose, Fl.) So when I got the oppertunity to go to these functions it was a really big deal. Eventually the Beach Coliseum was constructed, and some of the bigger groups came in. I was driving by then and I thought I was a real big shot. I'd go there and see my uncle at the door and he'd let me in. Of course I couldn't just waltz in, in my family we always had to earn our keep, so my uncle made me stand by some doors that were locked and not let anyone enter through them. Not very hard work. Once the shows started I had the run of the place. I got to go back stage and meet all the groups. The Animals, Vanilla Fudge, The Blues Magoos, The American Breed, The Cryin Shames, almost every group that played there. I was hooked I went back home and started myself a little band. We even got to play there. Well I went to Collage, (the first time) and meet up with some sure nuff musicians. After a few mix and matches I ended up with a sure nuff Band. We use to play the Castaways in Jax Beach. In fact we were the house band for eleven months. We played other clubs in town, too many to mention but all that exisisted @72-80. We even played a out door concert at cycleback Park that was really cool. The promoter ran off with the money but, the sound company liked us so much they brought some equiptment to the Castaways and gave it to us. In fact after the concert we had to play the Castways. Those were some really wild days. Now some thirty years later most of my ol' Band mates are gone but not forgotten. Never forgotten as long as I have those memories of those times. I omitted alot of names for thier privacy. So long for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 AM

27 posts, read 159,128 times
What year did you play at the Castaways? I used to go there and also Smitty's across the street. They had an R & B house band ... remember the little bar across from the Castaways between Smitty's and the boardwalk? Other places I remember were the Hawk's Nest (country) Mai Tai and Tide's End.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,226 times
Default Tides end...

I was a cocktail waitress there in 1974..have been trying to find girls i worked with..i bartended at the Peppermint lounge also....

Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,897 times
Default Friends at Castaways...

Hi,

My name is Manuel, I am spaniard, in 1974 I was in Jax Beach almost every night at the Castaways, we were there at the Jacksonville Shipyards for almost half year. I use to go there with another friend, also spaniard but totally looking us citizen for he was light blond haired...

So nice to read your comments, I loved that place and had never forgot it. Also the "black" club across the street and the billiard-pool place... so many souvenirs comin´back.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year !!

Manuel

Old 04-05-2012, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,292 times
My name is Dave and I worked at the Castaways in Jax Beach from 1973 to 76. I had a lot of fun working there. I knew a lot of the bands that played there. For a while I had a souvenir/sandwich shop right inside the front door. We had some good bands there. Molly Hatchet played there from time to time (with Dave Hlobeck), Catworth Fox, Entrance, Oat, Fresh Squeezed, Cat, Bandit (again with Dave Hlobeck before he was with Molly Hatchet), among others. Members of Lynyrd Skynyrd would come in and jam on Sundays (we had a Jam session on Sunday afternoons) Smitty's Beach Club was across the street, they had a band called the "Outer Limits Band" a R&B band. Peanut (Lead Guitar) was a friend and a cool guy. The Tides Inn restaurant was next door and the second story housed "Top of the Tides"..they used to have Drag Shows up there. At the Castaways, we had Tuesday "Sink or Swim" night, all you could drink from 9 to 12, highballs and beer. Got crazy when the Navy got paid and there were carriers in town. Most of the time it was the Saratoga and/or the Franklin D. Roosevelt, but sometimes the British Carrier Ark Royal would come in. We were pretty much a Navy bar. On Thanksgiving we would have meals for the sailors who had no place to go for Thanksgiving dinner.
When I first started at the Castaways there were Rides at the boardwalk. That used to be a really nice area...There was the Steak House restaurant, some shops, a Music Shop I used to hang out at, bought my first Electric Guitar there, a black Les Paul knock off. The Sea Clusion lounge (topless bar) Hawk's Nest (country bar) and Bo's Crow Bar (Gay Bar) the Mai Kai Lounge down the street ((I worked there too, later on). The Twilight Zone was a pool parlor across the street next to Smitty's. A lot of history there in the 70's and 80's. I've just told a bit of it.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,292 times
Cool Hi

Were you with Catworth Fox? Do you remember me? I had that shack near the door, I sold sandwiches and stuff. I remember some of the band. You had a singer Named Joe Moore, I think, that might be You..tall blond hair, Donny (Keyboards..played a Hammond B3 (heavy SOB..we had to lift it over the Bar every time you played there). Gary (Donny's Brother, I believe). Played guitar (lot of Wah Wah)... Bass player was Dave, I think. He also had a 3 pickup White Gibson SG. Drummer was Jim Miller (?)..you guys played a lot of Mountain, Uriah Heep, etc. My friend Lance..one of the bartenders got stabbed one night when you were playing there. Lot of memories in that place! Drop me a line if you get a chance.

Last edited by Trader Dave; 04-05-2012 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: mispellings

Old 02-19-2017, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,659 times
Wow..."Castaways!" I went there in 69 as a 9 year old kid. My Uncle Gene & Aunt Gay Scott owned it. He was such a wild man he died when he was 47 of a heart attack....broke. I later moved down to Jax and lived in 1979 and 80. Good times.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,467 times
Default Castaways

Wow. Lot's of memories. I was the drummer (Bob Nicols) for a band called Hezekiah (Tim Palazinni, Jim Leonard, Jim Glines, Jimmy Amerson) that played there often in 72 and 73. Sunday jam sessions saw some amazing players roll through! The stage was elevated and behind the bar. We had to lift our keyboard player's (Jim Glines) Hammond B3 up there. Insane!!! I remember bartenders handing up Miller in a bottle. The empties will fill the stage by the time we were done.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,351 times
Hi everyone gee - I hung out just about every nite at the castaways right on the corner 1block from beach 1969 to 75 I was in the navy an my name is bob Free - I use to date a girl jenninfer guisinger

Old 02-16-2018, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,351 times
My nickname was Chris an great times at the casataways lounge - yup I go back to jax beach now n then I live now in Sarasota my number is 941 465 1251 would luv to talk
about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville