Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:56 PM

27 posts, read 143,091 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Help! My family of four is moving from Columbus, Ohio to Jacksonville this summer. I have been looking at both Fleming Island and Julington Creek areas to live. We have two children (12, 10) so a great school district is a must. We have a daughter currently taking gifted classes and a son that is ADHD. I am also looking for a school district with tons of extracurricular activities. I am a stay at home mom but my husband will be driving downtown to be going to FCCJ. We will be renting either a house or an apartment for a year or so until we become familiar with the area. I would really like some help on deciding which side of the river to live on. We have visited Jacksonville twice in the last six months. December with no coats on!! I was really interested in Fleming Island Plantation however; it seemed that the middle school (Green Cove Middle) was really far away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 PM

353 posts, read 1,149,004 times
Julington Creek...

Old 04-13-2009, 04:34 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,389 times
We looked at both areas as well.......I really liked Julington Creek, but our money didn't go as far there for what we were looking for.

I don't think you can go wrong with either area though........

Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 PM

58 posts, read 170,866 times
Well, Julington Creek Plantation is in the St. Johns County School District, one of the state's best. I think it compares very favorably with school districts in northern New Jersey, where we moved from. Fruit Cove Middle School is very good, and the new Creekside High School just opened this school year. Also, you might want to check out the JCP CDD's new recreation center; it is pretty awesome.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Given that your spouse works in Downtown, I would personally choose Julington Creek.

I live in Fleming Island and that commute would be a bear.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 PM
jmc

101 posts, read 862,780 times
I say go with Julington Creek, also. We live here in JCP...great neighbors and lots of kids on our street. I personally don't care for Orange Park, which you would likely have to drive through to get downtown, etc. I agree with the above poster that the commute would be a bear. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 PM

68 posts, read 324,112 times
steer clear of Fleming Island! You DO NOT want to have to deal with the Buckman bridge everyday!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM

27 posts, read 143,091 times
LOL!! Okay, I guess I will focus my search on Julington Creek. I really don't want to deal with crazy traffic. Thank you so much for everyone's help. Our family is really looking forward to making Jacksonville home.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:06 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutler7 View Post
steer clear of Fleming Island! You DO NOT want to have to deal with the Buckman bridge everyday!
Not true. Going downtown from Fleming Island does not mean you'd have to deal with the Buckman. Downtown is a straight shot up Hwy 17 (30 minute drive) - no need to cross the river until you reach downtown (Fuller Warren Bridge aka I-95).

Regarding another post about Orange Park ... traveling through Orange Park on 17 is no worse than traveling along San Jose/Hwy 13 from Julington Creek to I-95. No, it's not the most scenic, but neither is part of San Jose (there are, however, some gorgeous stretches of that roadway.)

Old 04-14-2009, 02:07 PM

68 posts, read 324,112 times
actually from julington creek one could take the newly opened bartram park road (which is beautiful) and hop onto I-95 from old saint augustine road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville