Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 PM

37 posts, read 104,659 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. We're looking for a really good home inspector. Any recommendations? We're buying a brand new home (it's currently being built), but we still want to hire an inspector for peace of mind. I believe this is the last thing on our checklist before closing. You've all been very helpful, so thank you. As usual, I welcome any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 05:34 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,007,484 times
FLnavywf
When we were building this house we had our own inspector come in to inspect twice the first was a framing inspection and another when they were done construction.

The City will be inspecting at various stages but their concern is "is it to code". A private inspector will catch the "well this isn't just right" things

I will dig through my paper work to see if I can find who we used.

If not ask your Realtor "which home inspector they do not want showing up to inspect a property you are selling "

lol I know you thinking !!!!! huh , but I have had Realtors tell me that there are some pretty "annal" home inspectors out there than don't miss a thing down to the littlest picture nail hole in the wall and it makes them crazy from a selling Realtors point of view.

Thats who I would want to inspect the property I was building.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM

2,557 posts, read 6,458,129 times
I've recommended HomePro Inspections to many customers. Florida HomePro Inspections, Northeast Florida's #1 Inspectors 5 Star Package-Counties of Duval, Clay, St Johns, Flagler, Nassau, Putnam and more! The owner, Wally Conway, has a radio show on Saturday mornings on WOKV. As far as I know, my customers were satisfied with what they provided.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,008,252 times
As a Realtor, I used AmeriPro a lot. I found that they were very detailed, with gobs of pics showing every defect. Walley conway of Home Pro does a good job too - he has this fancy infrared moisture detector that he likes to show folks, and he's at all the home shows. You are not likely to get him, probably one of his "people". I particularly do not like the report that the Home Pro has, I find it most difficult to read. I've also had good results with the House Authority. But I believe you'd be in great hands with any of these companies.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 PM

432 posts, read 1,303,377 times
Oh good thread! It's on our list as well, but we aren't moving down there as soon as you are......

Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
As a Realtor, I used AmeriPro a lot. I found that they were very detailed, with gobs of pics showing every defect. Walley conway of Home Pro does a good job too - he has this fancy infrared moisture detector that he likes to show folks, and he's at all the home shows. You are not likely to get him, probably one of his "people". I particularly do not like the report that the Home Pro has, I find it most difficult to read. I've also had good results with the House Authority. But I believe you'd be in great hands with any of these companies.
I second AmeriPro, they are very thorough.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 AM

245 posts, read 498,573 times
We also used a Home Inspector while building our house in Yulee/Fernandina Beach back in 2005-2006. While he was a nice enough guy and I was happy with him at the time, I would not recommend him to anyone. He made 3-4 trips out during the process and found about 4 items that needed to be addressed. In addition to those, our daughter came with him several times and she found about 5 pages of finish items that needed to be fixed.

The reason I became dissatisfied with him was that I hired another Home Inspector before our 1-year anniversary to see if there was anything else the builder needed to address. Well, he found almost 2 dozen items, some of them pretty major that the original guy had not caught, including joists improperly tied-down, vent boots on the roof improperly installed, missing insulation. and many more. I was floored. Why hadn't the original guy caught all this stuff? I hired them again at the 2-year mark (we had a 2-year warranty) to recheck the original items and do infrared on the whole house. I was very happy with both of their inspections. I believe that HomePro charges a very premium price to include infrared in the inspection.

The Home Inspector I would recommend is Premier Home Inspection Services - www.premierinspections.com - 904 996-8881. The first guy did no pictures, Premier took pictures of every defect and completely spelled them out. The first inspection I had them do was under $400 and I paid $150 for them to return and recheck the initial items and do a complete infrared. Well worth the cost.

If hiring a Home Inspector for a resale home, I'd want them to be looking for Chinese drywall these days too....

Old 04-23-2009, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnavywf View Post
Hello everyone. We're looking for a really good home inspector. Any recommendations? We're buying a brand new home (it's currently being built), but we still want to hire an inspector for peace of mind. I believe this is the last thing on our checklist before closing. You've all been very helpful, so thank you. As usual, I welcome any advice.

Try Victor Herrera 786-312-6465 Tell him Odysa sent you.

congrats on your purchasee =) Im a mortgage broker and loveee to see ppl achieve their homeownership dreams!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM

37 posts, read 104,659 times
Karla, you made a very good point there. I would want an inspector too that the seller would not want showing up to inspect. Please let me know when you find out who inspected your house.

Anyway it seems the top 2 choices as of now are AmeriPro and HomePro. It's hard to decide between the two. Anybody else here have personal experience with either of them? Good/bad? Thanks a lot.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnavywf View Post
Karla, you made a very good point there. I would want an inspector too that the seller would not want showing up to inspect. Please let me know when you find out who inspected your house.

Anyway it seems the top 2 choices as of now are AmeriPro and HomePro. It's hard to decide between the two. Anybody else here have personal experience with either of them? Good/bad? Thanks a lot.
Yes, that's why I recommended them in the above post. And my contact with them is as the home seller - they happened to be my buyers' choice twice and both times I found them to be thorough and accurate. They didn't miss anything and they didn't make anything up. Certainly not everything they bring up is a legitimate "fix", but they give a good report for negotiating. With a new home builder, you have them fix everything on the list of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville