Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 02:02 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times

Advertisements

Hey all
I was looking at my new electric bill and something I just don't get so
Here lets do some comparing

We are billed for either 3000 or 4000 gal each month.
I find it strange that I use a even amount of gallons per month and the same amount.
I called and well lol you can guess how that conversation went
She said something about rounding up but couldn't quite "explain" how they did this

Reviewing the account I can't see any month where I used lets say 2500 gal or 3500 gals or even 3125 gals

So if they "round up" does that mean if I use 2700 gals they are going to bill me for 3000 ?

So Jax folks

How much water do you use each month ?

Are you also "use" an even amount ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Funny you mention this. I was JUST thinking about this, after reading an article about the possibility of JEA building some desalination plants in the distant future. I just checked online for my water usage history, and it appears to be rounded to the nearest 200 CF, which I assume is cubic feet.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
Eric I am glad I am not the only one
ok so I pulled out my bill on the one usage area it says I used 500 cu ft and it says 1 cu ft equals 7.48 gal so if you do the math I "used" 3740 gallons, however on on the consumption history it says I used 3000 gals

I may have to look up some previous bills to see what the cu ft usage was

I am almost tempted to call back but the woman I spoke with today appeared to be enjoying her lunch while speaking to me and she kept saying so does that answer your question is there anything else. Giving me the impression that she wanted to end the call asap

Old 04-23-2009, 06:01 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Your JEA bills don't show the meter readings?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:19 PM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
I use SJC water utilities and we get an actual meter reading (I've seen the guy drive by slowly and it automatically goes to his computer). My last two bills state 2.61 or 3.02 (in 1000's gallons).

That number is multiplied for consumption ($$2.92/unit) and waste water ($3.48 per unit). Most of my bill comes from the $22.53 base fee. Irrigation is off lake and my highest water bill has been $42 for a family of 4. I have friends in other areas who have gotten a separate meter for irrigation use so they don't have to pay wastewater fees on that portion.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Your JEA bills don't show the meter readings?
We do get a meter reading and the date for the reading. Water and sewer do get a rounding, but electric is billed by exact kwh used.

I don't know why water can't be billed to the exact gallon? Karla, I await the answer .

Old 04-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Funny you mention this. I was JUST thinking about this, after reading an article about the possibility of JEA building some desalination plants in the distant future.
I'd love a link to to article if you have one, Eric. Hopefully the plan and the funding isn't too far in the future, salination is a pressing issue for our water supply in NEFL .

Old 04-23-2009, 09:11 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I'd love a link to to article if you have one, Eric. Hopefully the plan and the funding isn't too far in the future, salination is a pressing issue for our water supply in NEFL .
It was the story in the T-U yesterday (4/22). Here's the link to the archive.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...418&p_docnum=5

Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:

Ah-ha....

Dickenson said that’s because tougher restrictions from the St. Johns River Water Management District could be on the way. In worst case scenarios, the restrictions could make it tough enough to pump ground water that the utility would have to turn to surface water treatment or seawater desalinization methods that carry roughly 10 to 12 times the production cost, Dickenson said.

JEA water bills might jump 10% annually for next four years | Jacksonville.com

Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Oh wait, maybe this was the article (your link was expired when I clicked on it, so I had to do a search)......

Desalination: In our future, but no silver bullet for cure | Jacksonville.com

This more in-depth article shows the familiar face of denial well at work...

Although the water management district's executive director, Kirby Green, said it's almost inevitable that Jacksonville will need a desalination plant in the next 20 years, managers at JEA don't appear to agree.

...and...

Karl Hankin, JEA's water/sewer system manager, said Tuesday the company will use all other options before considering desalination, including searching for brackish groundwater to pump and treat, and increasing the number of people who use reclaimed wastewater on their lawns.

No mention of industry. Industry is the largest contributor to freshwater waste, why aren't we hearing what JEA will insist industry do? Lawns are an issue, but the even bigger issue is industry.

Let's hope JEA comes to their senses .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville