U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,446 times

Advertisements

Im in my early 30's and heading down to Jacksonville this summer to scope out some neighberhoods and apts. I've been doing some research and so far Baymeadows and Mandarin look good. I'm looking for a neighberhood close to the city and a short trip to Jax Beach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 04:53 PM

725 posts, read 2,450,465 times
Are you single? If you're coming from NY and going to be living in the Baymeadows area or Mandarin area u might find those areas too sedate. You might want to look into something in Riverside closer to downtown where you can walk to pizza, Downtown Library, cafes, and Starbucks. There are also some apartments on Gate Parkway around the corner from St. Johns Town Shopping Center that are close to movies, restaurants, 20 minutes to the beach. Or if the beach is more important there are some places out off Kernan Boulevard or Hodges Boulevard. Just a thought.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 11,762 times
Remember that Jax is the largest city in america, as far as square miles. Near Jax beach might mean a 30 minute drive. And as Ryde41 refered to, it depends on how you want to live. Are you most interested in living at the beach, close to your work, close to activities, close to bars?? Jacksonville is really big, spread out, and almost everything is available. You just have to decide. Let us know so we can assist further.......

Old 05-24-2009, 08:16 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,110,173 times
I agree with Ryde41 - to that list I'd also add San Marco as a place to take a look-see.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 34,057,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoNYC View Post
Im in my early 30's and heading down to Jacksonville this summer to scope out some neighberhoods and apts. I've been doing some research and so far Baymeadows and Mandarin look good. I'm looking for a neighberhood close to the city and a short trip to Jax Beach.
As Mawipawfl said above, the San Marco area (zip 32207), will keep you within minutes of downtown (5-10 minutes, generally). The beach would be a 25 minute drive. If you'll be working downtown and hanging out at the beach, this might work out really well. This is my favorite area of Jacksonville, hands down .

Just to the south of San Marco is the San Jose area, zip 32217. This area is also very convenient, safe, interesting older neighborhoods and architecture, etc. You'd still be close to downtown (15 minutes or so).

The next area down the line is the Beauclerc area, zip 32257 and this also covers the general Goodby's Creek and part of Baymeadows (the river end of Baymeadows). It's getting more suburban in feel and less urban at this point, but it's still very quiet and family-friendly (as are the areas above).

Further south again you get into the Mandarin area which is suburban and even a touch of rural in feeling. Mandarin blends right into Northern St. John's county (St. Augustine) in feel.

I'd recommend taking a bit of time to check out each of these areas as they are all very different from each other despite their close proximity.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 AM

3,528 posts, read 7,799,602 times
If San Macro is close enough to the beach, then any of the historic neighborhoods are.....Riverside, Avondale, Springfield, Murray Hill. Riverside, San Marco, & Avondale are generally considered great spots for young professionals.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:10 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,171,669 times
I haven't heard of San Jose. Family friendly area?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 AM

2,530 posts, read 5,998,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoNYC View Post
I've been doing some research and so far Baymeadows and Mandarin look good.
Congrats on your upcoming move to Jacksonville! What made these two areas attractive to you? What are your other criteria for a neighborhood? You said "close to the city", but do you mean "downtown", or just close to shopping and entertainment?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM

8,200 posts, read 34,057,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
I haven't heard of San Jose. Family friendly area?
Absolutely . It's a big area with smaller neighborhoods/subdivisions. It's known for having quiet streets with big lots and it's a quick commute to downtown. Feel free to start a separate thread if you have Q's about the area.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,171,669 times
schools any good or do you have to go private?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>