Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:43 AM

26 posts, read 82,378 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville is garbage. That is all. I know I'm going to get several posts about my level of immaturity and yaps about this being previously posted, but I don't care. I'll admit it's half decent for working class families or rich retirees, but for the young professional it's an abomination!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 AM

I better add more substance to this thread before the mods delete it as that would remove the purpose of me posting in the first place.

Dilemma

I have strong family ties to Jacksonville. It's a good place to raise a family. But it's 3:51 am and this town is shut down!!! In Chicago I would be dancing the night away till 5am. I love big, active cities and this place is not compatible with me.

An hour of a half away there you have Gainesville. It's a small college town, but it has a better, more active downtown than Jacksonville. (By better I'm of course talking about bars, restaraunts, unique shops and other neat elements which make a vibrant city.)

So the dilemma is this: stay in a town I hate because it's affordable and close to family or goto Gainesville.

You would think this would be an easy choice for me, but it's not. For one the job market in Jacksonville is superior to Gainesville. Plus I would much rather want to own a house in a major city like Jacksonville than a small college town like Gainesville.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:26 AM

139 posts, read 409,466 times
Sounds like someone didn't get lucky last night.
Jacksonville has a lot of strong points, some you just pointed out- strong job market and good place to raise a family. I doubt you'll find everything you want in one city. How about moving to Vegas 'till you get tired of partying at 4:00 am then move here to raise your family?

Old 05-31-2009, 05:15 AM

You say that jokingly, but I've actually considered Reno. University of Nevada, Reno has a grad program I am interested in pursuing.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,581 times
You sound really young, so if you're looking for a party, then no. You're not gonna find it here. Downtown Gainesville would be more up your alley. But then again, there's not much else to do there & it would probably get old, even if you are young.

I think you're setting the bar a bit high with the Chicago comparison too, as Jax shuts down WAY sooner than 5am (or even earlier than that). Try like 10pm unless you wanna go out to a singles bar.

Thats really my biggest gripe is that the things that ARE open past 10pm arent family friendly at all. And I'm saying it has to be all Mickey Mouse kid friendly, just not a bar basically. Not everyone wants to get loaded when night comes.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 AM

31 posts, read 33,258 times
I dont think Gainesville will do much either as a young professional. You may want to try nearby bigger cities throughout the Southeast, including Atlanta or Charlotte.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM

Atlanta has too much traffic. I have considered North Carolina though.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoExpat View Post
Atlanta has too much traffic. I have considered North Carolina though.
Charlotte would be way too conservative for what you're looking for. It is dead smack in the bible belt remember.
Nothing is open past 1 or 2 in the morning.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
I think it takes a certain type of person to live in Jax. Your not the type evidently. Since your young why spend you time there if it doesn't meet your needs.

You need employment though so its not wise to leave until you secure a job elsewhere.

Since you have family there I guess you need to consider how far from them you can live, and then take it from there.

Im not sure Charlotte would really fit your needs either, and as you said Atlanta and its traffic. I have to agree Atlanta can be much to much.

Maybe some cities in Texas such as Houston or Dallas would be more vibrant for you, and still within reach of Florida. It would probably be easier to find employment there also.

It all depends on how far away you want and can live, and what your criteria is for a locale.

I don't think from reading your thread, that moving to Gainesville will fix this problem for you. Good Luck.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Quote:
Jacksonville is garbage. That is all. I know I'm going to get several posts about my level of immaturity and yaps about this being previously posted, but I don't care. I'll admit it's half decent for working class families or rich retirees, but for the young professional it's an abomination!
Quote:
I better add more substance to this thread before the mods delete it as that would remove the purpose of me posting in the first place.

Dilemma

I have strong family ties to Jacksonville. It's a good place to raise a family. But it's 3:51 am and this town is shut down!!! In Chicago I would be dancing the night away till 5am. I love big, active cities and this place is not compatible with me.

An hour of a half away there you have Gainesville. It's a small college town, but it has a better, more active downtown than Jacksonville. (By better I'm of course talking about bars, restaraunts, unique shops and other neat elements which make a vibrant city.)

So the dilemma is this: stay in a town I hate because it's affordable and close to family or goto Gainesville.

You would think this would be an easy choice for me, but it's not. For one the job market in Jacksonville is superior to Gainesville. Plus I would much rather want to own a house in a major city like Jacksonville than a small college town like Gainesville.
Your subject line was pretty harsh, but after reading your posts I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Jacksonville is nothing like Chicago, nor a college town. (Gainesville's bars close at 2, btw)

I think you should move. You can always come back to be with family, but while you're at this stage of your life don't miss out if you can find opportunities elsewhere. Do your research thoroughly, though. I would hate for you to move somewhere better, but still not good enough and leaves you unsatisfied again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville