Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM

19 posts, read 61,602 times

Advertisements

what is winter like here in Jacksonville?

How cold does it get? Do I need to buy a winter jacket or do I need a light jacket for chillier days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:18 AM

48 posts, read 206,843 times
Winter here is only cold in the morning and at night. I think a light jacket or a sweater is usually good. The only time I wear an actual winter jacket is when going out to a place at night where you will spend an extended amount of time outside.

Just to note, I am not a recently migrated northerner either, I moved here in 1985 when I was 2.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM

859 posts, read 3,616,962 times
Expect it to be short but cold, down to the 30s few days here and there. Hard freeze is expected. Besides that, we get winter rains and cool weather.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
How are the winters here........Don't need a snow shovel, snowblower, ice scraper, winter parka or snow boots! Don't need 4-wheel drive here (for snow) or a need to "winterize" your vehicle! Won't see snow plows or chemicals put on the freeways/streets here for ice! Won't buy the kids any sleds or ice skates (for nature made ice) for Christmas! Won't have a "white Christmas" (good and bad)! Quess by now, you are getting the idea of what winter is here?!
What you will see, on a warm day, are boats out on the St. John's River.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
It got pretty darn cold last winter, but it begins late and ends relatively early.
There were many days where the temps got below 32 at night, but it is usually not a prolonged event, just one or two days.
During the cold snaps, I certainly wear very warm clothing, down coat, etc, but I am outside a lot all winter long.
And yeah--I believe the last traceable snow was back in the 1980's.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
Also remember with the humidity 45 is going to feel a damp cold or as my mom use to say
"bone chllin" much different than 45 with no humidity

Also where in town you live you may experience different temps

It is usually colder west of the 95 or the river and it wil be warmer towards the beach

Old 06-05-2009, 03:37 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Will take the winters here ANYDAY over those in Charlotte, NC area or in the Denver, CO area (Denver area for sure). I remember in December of 2007, we made a visit to Wrightsville Beach area in NC. The day we were there the temp was 82 degrees and there were lots of boats on the intracoastal and getting out on the intracoastal there! Florida winters.........very nice!!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,093 times
I am really looking forward to this type of winter!! haha.....being that I am in hawaii now and haven't been in snow or anything cold in oh gosh 8 years I wasn't looking forward to that possibility AT all (we almost got orders to Maryland......shudder)......so when he came home with Jax orders I was SO happy.

I am an ex Michigander and was NOT looking forward to real winter.....snow, ice, frozen nose hairs......yucko! No thanks, that is NOT for me!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:59 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,022 times
Generally our winters only require a jacket, if any at all. It does get cold, and we also have freezes, but they usually don't last all that long. The coldest month(s) is Jan-Feb...then we head into spring

Old 06-07-2009, 07:50 AM

118 posts, read 341,143 times
I view the climate in Jacksonville as having three northern seasons with skewed dates: Fall (Nov., Dec., & Jan.), Spring (Feb, Mar., & Apr.) and a long Summer (May, Jun., Jul., Aug., Sept., & Oct.). The coldest month is January with an average high of 65 and low of 45. The weather can be variable in January & February, however, with a few days of freezing temperatures reaching the low 30s to high 20s (usually for a few hours in the morning) and on other days summery weather with highs reaching into the 70s and low 80s.

At first a light jacket will be enough in the cooler season, but after living in Florida for a prolonged period you lose tolerance to the cold and may need a heavier jacket when temperatures tip below 40.

Overall, the climate in Jacksonville is nice, although the prolonged heat in late summer can be challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville