Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:45 AM

75 posts, read 290,347 times

Advertisements

The closer I get to my move something else comes up. I was told my a hotel owner in Amelia Island that Floridians are fleeing to the Carolinas due to the high property taxes. Does anyone know how true that is? I thought there was some truth to his comment because of my house hunting visit in January to St. Johns County. I looked at about 20 homes and only three of them were occupied. Where is everyone going and why? I must say the property taxes are high and then add the CDD and HOA fees, it can be frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 AM

567 posts, read 2,141,577 times
People from all over the country are fleeing to the Carolinas! Check out the North Carolina forum, especially the Triangle forum and you'll see.

We fled there from Florida and after a year, realized our mistake and fled again. It definitely is not the "answer" for everyone. Do your homework and check out the NC forum - it's eye opening.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:13 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Default Not that I'm aware of

I don't know anyone moving to the Carolinas from Jax.

I know a few coastal Carolinians considering moving to Florida, and I know of many NYers moving to the Carolinas, but at least locally here in NE FL, there is no exodus to the Carolinas.

Home values have gone up and the property tax followed. Insurance companies are in self-protection mode and they have become difficult to deal with. The outrageous CCD and HOA fees are only in these huge new developments, the ones that have their own theme parks.

You can control the amount of property tax you pay by limiting how much you spend on a house (the biggest factor in determining how much tax you pay). As for the big CCD fees, that's a personal choice. You can still have a new or newer house in a more simple neighborhood where there are no CCDs and the HOA is just a few hundred dollars a year. You could also purchase a home in an older neighborhood where there is no HOA at all.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:40 AM

105 posts, read 391,355 times
I fled from S. Florida to Raleigh, NC and never looked back. The quality of life is much better and friendlier people. Yes, it has its problems (doesnt every place?) but not as serious and as many as a lot of South Florida. Much CHEAPER also!

Quite a few people we knew moved to NC also. Never knew anyone that fled to SC....had a friend that was from the area and said it was backwards compared to NC, more crime, not as good of schools, etc.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 AM

301 posts, read 1,062,355 times
Ive read through a lot of the other Florida Cities Forums on here and have heard of a bunch of people moving to the Carolinas, but I havent heard it so much from N Florida Jax area residents. A lot of people mentioned it was because of the cost of living increases, home prices, and insurance issues due to the hurricanes, but I would tend to think they would also have these same hurricane-related price increases, so Im not sure.

A lot of the new neighborhoods have the high CDD fees, like over 1500.00 a year Ive heard. That's a lot to add to your property taxes every year. We are in Julington Creek Plantation and pay 498.00 for the CDD fee and 360.00 for the HOA per year. It's not too bad.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:55 AM

975 posts, read 3,730,920 times
Default Erin

Erin, would mind elaborating why you realized it was a mistake to move from FL to NC? I want to move south -- somewhere in Florida is my first choice, but I'm wondering if I should be considering NC as well? Thanks!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM

75 posts, read 290,347 times
Default Property Insurance

Daisies76, can you give me an idea of what property insurance is like in Julington Creek?
ShellyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisies76 View Post
Ive read through a lot of the other Florida Cities Forums on here and have heard of a bunch of people moving to the Carolinas, but I havent heard it so much from N Florida Jax area residents. A lot of people mentioned it was because of the cost of living increases, home prices, and insurance issues due to the hurricanes, but I would tend to think they would also have these same hurricane-related price increases, so Im not sure.

A lot of the new neighborhoods have the high CDD fees, like over 1500.00 a year Ive heard. That's a lot to add to your property taxes every year. We are in Julington Creek Plantation and pay 498.00 for the CDD fee and 360.00 for the HOA per year. It's not too bad.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:36 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,355 times
Well JCP has a wide range in housing prices so depending on the size/price of house, I would say about 1200.00 maybe for about a 300k house? My mom lives here too and she is paying about 1050.00 per year and ours just renewed where it was about 1000.00 but it went up to 1500.00, but most people I have talked to around here is paying a lot less. We need to change companies, right now we are going with some off-name company, I have heard the rates are cheaper with a well-known company.

We were with one that went bankrupt after the S FL hurricanes and then some other insurance bought out their policies or something like that, so we ended up with one we never heard of, then our rates just increased, so we need to shop around.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I don't know anyone moving to the Carolinas from Jax.

I know a few coastal Carolinians considering moving to Florida, and I know of many NYers moving to the Carolinas, but at least locally here in NE FL, there is no exodus to the Carolinas.

Home values have gone up and the property tax followed. Insurance companies are in self-protection mode and they have become difficult to deal with. The outrageous CCD and HOA fees are only in these huge new developments, the ones that have their own theme parks.

You can control the amount of property tax you pay by limiting how much you spend on a house (the biggest factor in determining how much tax you pay). As for the big CCD fees, that's a personal choice. You can still have a new or newer house in a more simple neighborhood where there are no CCDs and the HOA is just a few hundred dollars a year. You could also purchase a home in an older neighborhood where there is no HOA at all.
Could someone explain exactly how the "Save our Homes" thing works on taxes? Do I understand this correctly that you deduct $25,000 from the price of the home and the remainer is what you pay taxes on? Or do they go by the appraisal amount the county has on it? Would someone just use an example so we could all understand it? Oh and does each county have a different amount per thousand that they use for figuring the tax?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Here's an example I've posted before:

You buy a house for $250,000

Your homestead deductible is $25,000

You are left with a taxable value of $225,000

In Duval, the millage rate is 18.18 per $1000

So, 225 x 18.18 = $4090 property tax per year

On coj.net, under Property Appraiser, there is a calculator where you can plug in a home price and it will do the above for you (estimate your taxes).

There are a number of factors that can affect your taxable value, but the price you pay for the home is the basic starting point for the city's property appraiser.

Once you are in the home - as long as it is your PRIMARY residence, and as long as you HOMESTEAD it - the city cannot raise your property taxes by more than 3% per year.

To Homestead, you fill out a simple form and mail it in...you'd be suprised at the number of people who forget to do this.

Yes, each county in Florida has their own millage rate. Duval (Jax) has a very low millage rate - one of the lowest, if not THE lowest, in NE FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville