Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 04:15 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Why do you need them as the chances of damage from wind in Jax is remote
To reduce your insurance premiums? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but as of Hurricane Sandy of 2012, there are now many different forms of approved hurricane protection for condos and apartment buildings. I read some legal letters on the internet regarding the installation of impact windows into condos - especially those with pvc frames. The results have been less than impressive with many complaints about climate warping of the frames and improper installation resulting in cracks in the glass, water leakage and ensuing interior damages in the thousands of dollars. Apparently when the windows in the upper floors leak, everyone "downhill" eventually suffers damages as well. Some of my friends have these installed as well, but seem to be working ok. One had Sears install them and the glass cracked and started to "sweat" on the inside within 16 months, but to Sears' credit, they came out and replaced then within a couple of weeks. It was still a lot of inconvenience and mess to have them come back out.

When I lived in Minnesota, my father had storm windows put up every fall. When I lived in Colorado, my husband did the same thing. Now that I am a widow living in Florida, I have storm windows once again but these are made with aluminum frames and clear Lexan, are way stronger and I never need to take them down. They're certainly not "my Daddy's storm windows".

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth on the topic.
We built our house here in 1995 - and we have first generation aluminum frame/Lexan impact windows. They're tight as a drum - and we've never had to worry how they'd do in storms. The only downside is - because they're Lexan (which is basically a kind of plastic) - that the windows that are directly exposed to the elements tend to "etch" (and look scratched) after about 7-10 years. Luckily - all of our windows that developed this problem are in rooms where views are not important (our important view rooms are in the back of our house - and they look out on an enclosed porch that pretty much protects them from the elements). In any event - windows like this are now kind of obsolete. The current standard is Lexan (or similar) sandwiched between panes of glass. I am not sure how they fare over time (many have very short warranties). And windows like this are extremely heavy (ours are light).

When we lived in condos in south Florida - we used regular glass windows/sliding doors with heavy duty accordion shutters. They worked (and lasted) great - even during Hurricane Andrew (except in areas where Andrew hit as a strong cat 4/cat 5 - and the shutters were actually pulled out of the sides of the condo buildings). Andrew hit us as a strong cat 3 - and we didn't have any problems. Robyn

Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 PM

141 posts, read 288,425 times
Mine aren't actual windows - they are storm windows that attach to the house outside of my regular windows. They are guaranteed for 10 years, but if I wanted to get a special film put on them, they are then guaranteed for 20 years. I'm convinced that for hurricane protection, you can't beat these shutters that I had installed.

No matter what you have installed, if they aren't tested and approved, your insurance company won't accept them. That is why 99% of the window films are no good in Florida.

Impact glass windows are waaay too heavy and they still break! I'm a retired widow and if the springs in the new impact glass window break, I can't lift them, plus, if you have $2500 deductible insurance, count on buying your replacement window out of pocket.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post
Mine aren't actual windows - they are storm windows that attach to the house outside of my regular windows. They are guaranteed for 10 years, but if I wanted to get a special film put on them, they are then guaranteed for 20 years. I'm convinced that for hurricane protection, you can't beat these shutters that I had installed.

No matter what you have installed, if they aren't tested and approved, your insurance company won't accept them. That is why 99% of the window films are no good in Florida.

Impact glass windows are waaay too heavy and they still break! I'm a retired widow and if the springs in the new impact glass window break, I can't lift them, plus, if you have $2500 deductible insurance, count on buying your replacement window out of pocket.
I don't understand the nature of the product you're describing. Could you give us a brand name/model number/picture/link or similar? Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville