Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 PM

39 posts, read 105,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A few more questions..

How expensive are house taxes typically(average/examples will work great)?

Also I noticed someone thought their $180/month electric bill was cheap..lol What are typical bills for utilities each month? I know there is no way to know for sure.. just if someone has some examples that would be great.

I also read someone mention house insurance of 4 grand! Is house insurance really that expensive out there?!
Anyone got ideas on any of this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM

41 posts, read 77,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elthznd901 View Post
oh thats definately our plan.. we plan on making a few visits before we decide. I agree the quality of life in colorado is excellent. I really cant knock or bash it in any way. We have crime here.. just like anywhere... but I definately feel mostly safe because I picked a good area(d20 btw for the post above..lol). Still.. the beaches.. the warmer winters.. are all very attractive. We also have family in the NE and travel is much cheaper coming from FL. I have also considered the myrtle beach area.. hell for all I know we will still be in colorado..lol I still want to do the research though.. just in case.
LOL! That really funny when people criticize you for researching. You never said you were going to move based on an internet search. You do an internet search as part of leveling it down. You stated "The timing depends on how much money and how many bills we can get paid off." That alone let me know you are taking your time. And it may be a Loooong time IF it should happen, lol! I get the same on my threads. I usually laugh at them and just say "THANK FOR YOUR INPUT", lol! I'm looking to relocate myself, but using various sources to decide. Some places I have been, other I'm deciding if I even want to visit. I see your options are wide open, because you all over the map, lol! But I see you trying to be on the coast! If you decide to visit Florida take off atleast a week or two to visit different cities. It is HOT. But people run from cold to heat and heat to cold. I surely left Illinois to come back because it doesn't get hot enough. I love the sunshine. Some people from Colorado love it here and some people like my Godmother couldn't wait to get back to the snow. But that was after spending 30 years here, lol!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Anyone got ideas on any of this stuff?
Check out this website...Best places to live 2008 - City details: Jacksonville, FL - from MONEY Magazine
or www.coj.net go to services (dropdown bar on left) and check out the neighborhoods search & Neighborhood directory.

As for the light bill. It all depends on you. But you can call JEA @ 904-665-6000 and you can find out what the average bill was of the people that live ther before. I know my mom's (house 3br/2 1/2 ba w/2 1/2 car garage) electric and water combined runs $80 - $100 per month and mines run $60 - $80 combined (Apt. 2br/2ba upstars). An ex-coworker said his bill ran around $260 per month. But I guess it depends on how you use your systems. He has underground water sprinklers and and in ground pool & yard decorations. We have the water hose and sprinkler and work it manually. Also thenews station report in the winter about the different devices your meter has that can cost you money. I forgot what they are called but If you look at your meter and it has flashing triangles you have a source that will cost you more money.

Insurance varies depending on where you live. The fact that we are surrounded by water you can expect to be pay more then certain other areas of the state(s) that don't have water. Depending on where you are here you will pay more. Don't take for granted that because you are inland you won't have to pay as much, because you could still be in a flood area. I would adivise you to check with national insurance agency for that information (I don't advise with local ones although they can be cheaper, because in catastrophic disasters most won't be able to pay out).

Old 06-17-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindfw View Post
what's the name of the poetry clubs?
I'm sorry. Not poetry clubs, but clubs and places with poerty events. Arielles, I forgot the name of the place at the Landing, the Ritz. i've heard it's a few at the beach, but haven't been out there fo that yet. Check with most popular to semi-popular night clubs and jacksonville events. Once you attend one or two the locations will appear. There are a lot in small cafe's and community halls. They move a lot because of lack of support. But the Ritz always have a lot going on. Do you attend Showtime at the Ritz? It's like Apollo. Only $5 on every 1st Friday. We have a lot of talented people here. And they do get to be exposure.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:11 PM

Thanks alot for the responses mrstewartk!

Old 06-19-2009, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 12,230 times
As a real estate agent, I would tell you to visit first. See what area of town feels right, and then decide if you want to make the move. Searching on the internet is great once you know you are moving and know what areas you want to focus.

You can find affordable housing in just about every part of Jacksonville and ST Augustine...especially if you are okay with driving a little. Check out St Johns County, "County Road 210". It's directly in between Jax and St Aug. 20 minutes either way. Great, full amenity neighborhoods that are mostly newer construction. Lots are smaller, but the prices are great in today's market!

Good Luck!

Brad Officer — Jacksonville Real Estate Agent - Jacksonville Realtor - Jacksonville Homes - Jacksonville RE/MAX Agent

Old 06-20-2009, 07:56 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,659 times
Default 10.5 unemployment here

yep come on down and add to the problem. think twice before you leap. all kidding aside good luck.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
yep come on down and add to the problem. think twice before you leap. all kidding aside good luck.
lol.. I havent said anything till now.. but do you guys not read? Never said I was jumping into anything..lol BTW that problem is across the United States..

Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Lived in JAX for 5 years. Too humid and too bible-belt for us. And it's hard to develop relationships beyond basic friendliness. People there have close friends and don't need new ones.

Florida is definitely a great vacation spot but I have to admit I was happy to move. However, if I had to live there again, I would live in St. Augustine.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks alot for the responses mrstewartk!
Thanks elthznd901!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville