Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 AM

28 posts, read 787,695 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to the WGV display in the past? I'm thinking of taking my kids, but want to make sure it won't be a dud. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:14 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
We were there last year and it was an enjoyable time. It's of course not as huge a display as downtown Jax, but it was well-done. The crowd was large with lots of kids, so that's a testament that families find it a great way to celebrate the 4th.

We brought a picnic as did many others. You'll want to bring a blanket or bag chairs to stake your claim on the grass.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 AM

28 posts, read 787,695 times
Thanks, Mawipafl!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:27 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,520 times
Did anyone else watch the Jax fireworks display on TV on Sat? 15 minutes from start to finish. It was telecast behind buildings and the sponsors' logos covered up the entire fireworks. Awful coverage. Should've gone to the Landing.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:42 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,281 times
My family and I were walking up to The Strand, right as they were beginning. Honestly, I expected a longer show, closer to 30 minutes. 15 minutes seemed too short, to me. Also, this is the FIRST time I've been to the Southbank since all those condo's have been built (shame on me, I know). I remember when there was nothing dirt parking along that little stretch. I couldn't help but think, "If these condo's weren't here, I'd have a much better view of things." Haha! Next time, we'll get there sooner, so we can get a better view.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,075 times
I agree Eric, my friends and I were on the Northbank sitting on the rocks. I seem to remember, keep in mind it may be close to 7 years since I have been Downtown for the 4th showing, it being near 30 mins of fireworks. This year is was 15 minutes almost to the second haha

Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
But you have to admit it was a great 15 minutes, right?? :-)

Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,366,150 times
We were at Metro Park for their fireworks display which was pretty darn good! We think it was the best one we'd ever seen. Although, for being a "free" 4th of July Show/Fireworks, we spent $55 on food, drink and parking! Went down by the boat docks (next to Metro Park) and found out that the docks area isn't really a Marina (where people pay to tie a boat up overnight), it was however a "FREE" docking area and is for a 72 hr stay. And, the restrooms are open 24-7 (nice). So, next year we will take our boat to the Show and watch the fireworks from it.......where we can take photos and video of the fireworks! Other than the real small digital cameras that can fit into pant's pocket, video and photo cameras weren't allowed in the Park.
Now, the REALLY BAD part of that night/after the fireworks display was over, was getting out of the parking long/narrow parking lot right next to the Park. Now, that was a NIGHTMARE!! That alone took us almost an hour to do! Then, once on the street and heading west (towards the Landing), the traffic was really backed up (and do mean REALLY)! Never again will we drive to a fireworks display there! But, then again, we have no reason to drive downtown anyway, other than for some BIG events at the Landing or taking our boat up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville