Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 AM

7 posts, read 9,310 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Jacksonville from Virginia. Here you can get a permit at 15 1/2, have to take a driver's course, and then after you pass the behind the wheel part, you have to hold your permit for 9 months before you get a license. My son has held his permit since January, took his course, passed everything and is now in the waiting period-he would get his license in November.

What we are trying to figure out is what happens when we move to FL. We keep trying the DMV, and can never get a human being on the phone.

I know in Florida its a year with a permit, but I don't know if they will make him apply for a permit, and then wait a year to get his license. That will make him well over 17 by the time he can drive. He will be going to an out of zone school, and this means no job for me because i will be driving him back and forth everyday, since St Johns does not provide transport to out of zone schools.

Anyone with an intimate knowledge of DMV policies? Or had a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
Try this link: Florida Drivers License

Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 AM

I tried that already. It does not have information applicable to our situation.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
I read this on the link I posted.

Quote:
A Learners permit, also called restricted license, is issued to teenagers between ages 15 and 17 once they complete the required course and tests. A teenager must have a learners permit for one year while practicing their driving skills with an adult. After 12 months, he/ she can then take the behind-the-wheel driving test for a full Florida operators license.
For more details on a restricted license read the Learners Permit page
If you are 18 years or older, you are not required to retain a learners license but you still must complete the required course and tests before going in for a behind-the-wheel driving test.

I don't see any exceptions listed, regardless of what has taken place in another state. It would seem that if your son is between 15-17 yrs of age, then the above would apply to him. No?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 PM

199 posts, read 468,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy50 View Post
We are moving to Jacksonville from Virginia. Here you can get a permit at 15 1/2, have to take a driver's course, and then after you pass the behind the wheel part, you have to hold your permit for 9 months before you get a license. My son has held his permit since January, took his course, passed everything and is now in the waiting period-he would get his license in November.

What we are trying to figure out is what happens when we move to FL. We keep trying the DMV, and can never get a human being on the phone.

I know in Florida its a year with a permit, but I don't know if they will make him apply for a permit, and then wait a year to get his license. That will make him well over 17 by the time he can drive. He will be going to an out of zone school, and this means no job for me because i will be driving him back and forth everyday, since St Johns does not provide transport to out of zone schools.

Anyone with an intimate knowledge of DMV policies? Or had a similar experience?
Are you calling the "Central DMV" number or one of the local offices? I don't know how it works in Virginia, but in NY we had actual DMV offices; that's all they did. Here in St Johns County FL, you go to the local government office which acts as a DMV agent so to speak. I assume you are moving to St Johns since you mentioned your son is going to school there. Perhaps you can try calling one of the government offices in St Johns and asking your question. Drivers License & Identity Cards

Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 AM

Technically he has passed all the requirements for a driver's license except the waiting period. It sounds like he will have to start all over again in FL now. Which, frankly , is a *****, since he won't get his permit now until we move in August-and we won't have a permanent address until the house is finished-and who knows if that will be on time? So it could be a month or two months or whatever until he gets a permit, then a year from then to drive himself to school.

I did find some numbers for St Johns and will try those today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville