U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:45 AM

7,470 posts, read 17,195,837 times

Advertisements

Wife was coming home from work in downtown, crossing a bridge (don't remember name of it), talking to me on the cell for a minute and ALL OF A SUDDEN she looked to her right and seen this large waterspout on the St. John's River. Traffic came to a complete stop and folks were out of there cars taking photos of it on their cells......all she wanted to do is GET THE "H" OUT OF THERE!! She told me on the phone that she really couldn't see which way it was headed. Also, she had never seen a waterspout and called it a tornado (I informed her of what it was). Actually, while she was yelling over the cell about the waterspout, I turned on tv and was watching it "live" on a news station. They also showed a tornado that was coming down right over the downtown area, but dissolved half way down. That one was just two buildings from where my wife works!
Then, on top of that, a lightning bolt hit a tree in the parking lot right next to our apartment. BIG flash of light and really big BOOM!
What a storm at 5PM!
Talked to her brother who lives by Fort Lauderdale and he said "Welcome to Florida!!".
Did anyone else in the Jax Forum see this waterspout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,376,355 times
I saw the tornado/spout Downtown. Just for a minute. Wish I could have gotten a better look.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 AM

8,517 posts, read 4,067,353 times
I don't live anywhere remotely near Jacksonville, but saw the waterspouts on the Weather Channel this morning.

So check out the Weather Channel, I'm sure they'll repeat it to death.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:37 AM

392 posts, read 1,343,007 times
I saw it from my building. It lasted a long time. It was a real show! I don't think it caused any damage, except for the lightning, which became very intense towards the end of the waterspouts life.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:35 PM

433 posts, read 1,186,695 times
haha oh I am not sure I am looking forward to this type of weather.........sure I am originally from the midwest and we'd duck into basements for storms, but I've lived in hawaii for such a long time......we don't generally even get thunder here!

my six year old is really worried about tornados......it might take awhile for him to get used to the thunderstorms.......

Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 PM

Well, lets see............this weather or freezing our butts off and shoveling inches-to-feet of snow and driving in a "white out", hummmm.......this weather or freezing temps, lots of snow and "white outs" ????
Well, even though it was quite scary, we are still glad that we got rid of our snow shovel, snowblower, snow boots and ice scrapper and live here now! Everywhere has some kind of nasty weather.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:48 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,211,459 times
I got home and had my car in the garage right as the news was showing one near me, just before the skies opened up at my house. I've lived in FL forever, but have never seen anything like the waterspouts that the news was airing live. Two hours later I had to go on I-25 and 9a and they were still cleaning up the accidents that took place during the storm.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 AM

200 posts, read 557,589 times
I'm glad no one was severly hurt. It was sunny as could be (was about to get in the pool!) I had another Realtor call me to schedule an appt and I couldn't hear her, she said Sorry, going through a hail strom! I couldn't believe it..turned on the news to see the water spout. Thankfully we only received rain. It does seem that Jax has its share of tornados..

Old 07-26-2009, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,913 times
Thumbs up LoveBoating, need your moving info

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Jksnville also (57, 52,retired military, NC). How is it going, did you use a certain realtor, who ? Do you like where you are house apt, etc,.? If you had it to do over would you ? Where would you recmd for nice 3 bed condo, or 3-4 bed house in roomy area (large lots), reasonable price ? Maybe main thing who for realtor ? Thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 05:42 PM

Sent you a PM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy7177 View Post
My wife and I are thinking about moving to Jksnville also (57, 52,retired military, NC). How is it going, did you use a certain realtor, who ? Do you like where you are house apt, etc,.? If you had it to do over would you ? Where would you recmd for nice 3 bed condo, or 3-4 bed house in roomy area (large lots), reasonable price ? Maybe main thing who for realtor ? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville