U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 PM

8 posts, read 17,324 times

Advertisements

I am having a home built in Middleburg, Fl and I am curious about the inspection record that is kept in the white box in the yard. Each house has a box with the plans and inspection record and other papers in it, my question is, "Should the inspection record be signed for each area of the house that requires inspection, as the house is being built?" Example, our house is almost complete, 18 days until closing, and the only line signed off on is the termite/vapor barrier. Nothing signed for foundation, rough plumbing, electrical, insulation, roofing, tie beam, NOTHING!! Would these signatures be somewhere else by any chance, or should we be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 AM

4,318 posts, read 12,979,673 times
Personally, I don't know how the system works and what one is supposed to see on the inspection sheet, but I'd be on the phone tomorrow to the Clay County Building Department to ask.

Clay County Building Department (http://www.claycountygov.com/Departments/Building/Building.htm - broken link)

I'd also be asking the general contractor/builder the same questions, and comparing his answers to the Building Department's.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 AM

200 posts, read 557,456 times
I would first ask the Superintendent of that community as they are supposed to carry copies as well. Now with the market so slow, you'll see that 1 super had 3-5 communities so little details go unnoticed-unfortunatley. A call to the city would be good for reassurance too but right now the enforcers are like hawks $$$! Usually you will have a few inspections as the home is being built and they cannot proceed until one step is complete to code and then they can move on. So don't think that it is likely that your home hasn't been inspected. Let us know how it goes...

Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 AM

Default Clay County Building Inspection record

Thanks for the replies, we are meeting with someone from the builders home office tomorrow, because things are very fishy with everything to do with this house. We are almost ready to close and my husband has only met the superintendant once and I have never met him. We have gone to the house everyday and never seen him and each day is a new screw up. They have had to totally redo the master bath, have had to rip out the kitchen tile backsplash once and will have to do it again if they want me to buy this house. There are 2 different tiles on the wall. The painter did not paint one side of the house, we are missing 9 electrical outlets. The air condition guys just noticed that all of the copper for the air conditioner was stolen before the sheet rock went up and now they are cutting holes in my master closet and garage to replace those. They cut holes in the back of the hose to now run the tubing a different way to the outside unit. They fixed it all with duct tape, (wonder if it passed inspection?). It is so bad that I am having to find it humerous at this point to keep from going crazy. I have to be out of my house that I am in now by July 15, Oh what fun. I'll let ya know how things go today.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 AM

2,451 posts, read 5,467,574 times
It's good that you are keeping track of the county inspectors. I know of 2 homes built in 2005 in the M'burg area that were issued their CO (certificate of occupancy), but neither had any insulation in the attic. As far as I remember, that was one of the criteria for being issued the CO. I called both the county inspection office and the builder. I'm pretty sure someone lost their job over that big mistake!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Default Clay County Building Inspection record

We met with the customer service manager today, very nice guy. He seemed to be in, "you're kidding!" frame of mind as we were giving him the list of issues. We were with him for almost 2 hours and still remembered items when we left that we forgot to mention. He is totally unaware of all of the problems and was shocked. I told him that the communication in this company is horrible and that his superintendant is doing nothing. I told him that if the super was checking on the job, some of these issues should have been caught by him. We are going to email the customer service mngr tonight with what we want from this point and what has to happen or we will walk. Last thing, I mentioned that I showed up at the house unexpectedly one day and the air condition guys had long holes in the sheetrock of master closet and the garage. I was told that the copper tubing for the air was stolen before the sheetrock went up and they just realized it. I called my husband and we added that to our list. About 10 minutes ago, a thought came to my husband, there would be no copper in the garage wall, condinsate drain pipes are PVC, not copper. I think that the nitwits never ran the pipes to begin with........have to see what the inspection coded on that and the date that it "passed" or failed.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,761,955 times
Kyan,

If need be, don't close. Don't feel pressured to go through with the closing if the house has problems. I built a new home a few years back and never had these issues. I'm sure you can move the closing date out so the builder can work on the issues and meanwhile you can decide if you really want to go through with this purchase. Sorry you're going through this .

Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 AM

117 posts, read 381,683 times
Who's the builder?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,121,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE4309 View Post
Who's the builder?
Probably the building inspectors brother, lol!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
I have a townhome in Eagle Harbor built by DRHorton in 2003 that I moved into that year. I'm having my flooring replaced in my kitchen now and the installer has run into rotten wood at the base of the outside wall, behind the baseboard. The wood is black and you can put your finger through it. The wood looks like the 2x4 that's nailed to the concrete slab and it looks like untreated lumber was used. I, too, am wondering about the code enforcement inspections. Do these guys do anything other than sign the inspection form? Do they check that lumber that touches the foundation is treated? Now its my responsibility to fix the rotten wood. I wonder how far up the studs the rot goes. My roof also leaked after I moved in, but I made the builder replace it. Too bad I didn't know about the untreated lumber then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville