U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 08:10 PM

72 posts, read 413,689 times

Advertisements

...do you have issues with mosquitos (more so than the average amount in Jacksonville)?

We're househunting & DH is convinced we can never live on/near a pond because of this. I'm just curious what real people living near ponds have experienced. TIA!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 PM

2,451 posts, read 5,463,954 times
As long as the retention ponds are maintained, mosquitoes shouldn't be an issue. They'll either be treated regularly by a pond service, paid for by a community HOA, or they'll have fish in there, which will eat the larvae. Mosquitoes seem to be more of a problem near swampy areas, where there are no controls. Also, my own home is adjacent to a JEA power line property. There happens to be a low spot on the property, so when there's a heavy rain, water will stand for a good 2 weeks. We have a hard time with the skeeters because of that. I need to find a means of attracting dragonflies, since they eat 'em, too.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 AM

4,314 posts, read 12,970,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
As long as the retention ponds are maintained, mosquitoes shouldn't be an issue. They'll either be treated regularly by a pond service, paid for by a community HOA, or they'll have fish in there, which will eat the larvae. Mosquitoes seem to be more of a problem near swampy areas, where there are no controls. Also, my own home is adjacent to a JEA power line property. There happens to be a low spot on the property, so when there's a heavy rain, water will stand for a good 2 weeks. We have a hard time with the skeeters because of that. I need to find a means of attracting dragonflies, since they eat 'em, too.
I agree completely. We don't live on a pond but do live adjacent to a treeline that gets swampy after rains - heaven for mosquitos. We also avoided houses on ponds when we were househunting thinking about mosquitos, but now that we know better, it was an avoidance we didn't have to take after all.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:24 AM

13,386 posts, read 41,559,943 times
This is enlightening.
A question:
We live not far from a retention pond that literally did not exist 2 years ago.
It was dug out and water came from a nearby lake, plus plenty of rain.
It has fish, frogs turtles etc living in it. (Plenty of dragonflies hanging around, too. Our skeeters are now worse than they were two weeks ago, but not unbearable like in 2007.)
How did the critters get there? Did they migrate?
Sure, some of the minnows are just tadpoles.
But some of the fish are just that: fish. Should I just assume that they released in there?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 AM

Yes, sometimes fish are brought to the ponds/lakes by people. Other times, I believe fish eggs get brought in by birds/ducks, by accident. Kind of an unintentional occurrence.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,868,030 times
anyway for those of us house hunting to know/see if the pond is being maintained or treated?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,331,121 times
I would be more concerned about water snakes (harmless or not) than skeeters since HOA does have a responsibility to treat the water for skeeters as someone else noted.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
anyway for those of us house hunting to know/see if the pond is being maintained or treated?
Sure. If you can find out the HOA Mgmt Co for that particular neighborhood, a phone call to them could probably answer that question. The listing agent should be able to provide that phone number.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 PM

2,739 posts, read 4,868,030 times
hold on, I don't do snakes.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 PM

LOL, well, stay well clear of Florida. haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville