Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:05 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times

Advertisements

Tons of stuff going on to celebrate the 4th of July.

Freedom, Fanfare & Fireworks, July 3-5, 2009

So much information it's hard to digest it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
I will be in Jacksonville for the Fourth, and plan to attend this part of the concert as well as the fireworks. Is this the place to be for fireworks, or is there somewhere else you guys would recommend?

This will be my first trip to Jacksonville, and am really looking forward to it!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Wow! I am impressed. Something for everyone the week of the fourth here in Jax. I also saw that they are looking for volunteers at the events. If anyone is new to town and wants to meet people, this is a good way to do it. You will be in the thick of the activities, can enjoy the event and meet lots of high energy folks.

The ice skating at the Veterans arena looks like fun and I like that is it just $3.00 per person, including skates. Makes it available to everyone.

Greenville- Yes, Jax is a fireworks-loving town! The show is sure to be great.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 AM

I agree with HIF -- yes, downtown is the place to be for fireworks. That's not to say that other displays are not worth seeing, because they are, but I'm really impressed with the show that downtown does. It's viewable from either the Northbank or Southbank - it's a personal choice for which side of the river is preferred.

Travel between the two riverbanks is easy with the Skyway (except on Friday the 3rd - it will not be operating).
http://www.jtafla.com/pdf/Skyway%20July%20Notice.pdf
The fare is something ridiculously cheap (I think it's 50 cents one way).

Old 06-28-2009, 01:38 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
The ice skating at the Veterans arena looks like fun and I like that is it just $3.00 per person, including skates. Makes it available to everyone.

Wow, ice skating in Florida in July!!!!
And , what a bargain.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-28-2009, 05:04 PM

27 posts, read 143,104 times
My family and I are moving to Jacksonville on the 4th! However, we are not going to miss the fireworks. Can anyone tell me where is the best place to park our car to view the fireworks? Thanks!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 AM

200 posts, read 619,122 times
Thanks Mawipafl..I almost forgot about downtown fireworks! We used to go the the beach every year, but last year it was pretty bad. My neice and nephews always come down and I think the skating rink will be a hit! How's the traffic after the fireworks downtown??

Old 06-29-2009, 05:54 AM

I wish I could comment on parking and traffic, but I've never done the 4th fireworks - just the Holiday ones (right after Thanksgiving) and New Years Eve. I've also attend the Gator Bowl Parade. None of these times did we have any problems finding a parking spot or getting out of town afterwards -- but we don't park near The Landing nor near the river - we always look for on-street parking in the center of downtown, such as along East or West Duval Street. There are some unmetered places if you look around - metered spots are free only after 6pm and on Sundays. If you'd rather park in a lot, the further away from the river the cheaper they are. It's not a long walk from the center of downtown to the river at all, and it affords us a quick-n-easy departure afterwards. The parking lots and garages right on the river can be congested.

(PS Hemming Park is what I call the "center" of downtown.)

Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAChessMom View Post
My family and I are moving to Jacksonville on the 4th! However, we are not going to miss the fireworks. Can anyone tell me where is the best place to park our car to view the fireworks? Thanks!
I think the Duval County School Board bldg is usually a good bet. Generally easy to get in and out of that lot, usually not packed, and basically direct access to the southbank riverwalk. That's my memory from the late 90s...

I was in town for the most recent New Year's festivities, my first time going downtown for fireworks in many years, and we parked there again with no problem. Only issue was that it's not well-lit, but if there are plenty of other folks there then safety isn't THAT much of an issue.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 AM

27 posts, read 143,104 times
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville