Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,090 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to Jacksonville, and would like to know the "safer" areas to buy a townhouse or temporarily rent an apartment. We are retired, so commuting is not an issue. Would like to be NEAR the Navy Base, but not in the close vicinity (already experienced 20 years of aircraft noise). Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandjanet View Post
Would like to be NEAR the Navy Base, but not in the close vicinity (already experienced 20 years of aircraft noise). Thanks for any information.
Which Navy base? As we currently have 2, (NAS Jax and Mayport NS) Neither gets very many jet aircraft. Mainly P-3's at NAS Jax and the occasional FA/18 at NS Mayport.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. Actually, either one would be good, just want to go to the commisary and NEX. A twenty minute or so drive would be ideal.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 PM

5,189 posts, read 6,139,618 times
The commisary and NEX at NAS Jax I think offer more in my opinion then the ones at Mayport.

Condo market still has not bottomed yet so renting is a great option. I am up on Amelia so I am sure those in the know for locations of town homes in JAX will chime in.

Good luck and welcome....

Old 07-14-2012, 07:11 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandjanet View Post
Thanks for the reply. Actually, either one would be good, just want to go to the commisary and NEX. A twenty minute or so drive would be ideal.
Housing budget?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:52 PM

Yeah, I figured the NAS would have more to offer since it appeared like a larger base.....btw....spent a few days at Fernandina beach and loved it, but didn't seem to offer much in apartments and condos. As for the housing budget, we can swing around $1000, but would only like to spend no more than $800 on a little apartment. Would also prefer a short time lease on the apartment, so we can see if we really like the area. Going there a week here and a week there can be restrictive and deceiving. From what I could tell, condo and townhomes have REALLY dropped and looks like I could pick one up for around $65,000, which seems ridiculously low, but won't complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville