Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 05:26 PM

57 posts, read 536,509 times

Advertisements

I am searching for a rental home in the Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach area and it seems the homes that allow pets are few and far between, and not nearly as nice as the homes where owners allow pets.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how likely it is that owners might be more flexible. I don't want to waste my time looking at places we'll never be able to live in, but I have one dog who is completely housebroken and has never destroyed anything, so it seems unfair that we are so limited.

Anyone been through this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 06:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
It's getting tougher and tougher to rent with pets .

One problem landlords are facing is insurance. You may or may not know of the homeowner insurance problems Floridians have been facing in the last couple of years. Landlords face even bigger insurance hurdles than regular homeowners. So many breeds of dogs are "banned" by insurance companies, it's just easier for landlords not to take a chance at all and just have a no dog policy.

You touched on the other issue - damage. A landlord has to take your word for it that your dog is guaranteed not to do any damage to their home. In reality, you really can't guarantee that. Pets do strange things. I had a housebroken dog and we moved when she was two into my current home - I had to housebreak her all over again. I can't explain it, but she "forgot" all of her training. My other dog was fine, he didn't miss a beat, but I woke up to a brown present from this one every morning.........blech !

Instead of a house, you might want to consider an apartment. Many apartments advertise that they accept all pets. Some of them are large companies and might be self-insuring (that may be why the can rent to all dog breeds). You might have better luck that way.

Best of luck .

Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM

60 posts, read 189,800 times
Kind of helps if you say what your price range is....would a condo be ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville