Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 AM

146 posts, read 241,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seainjax View Post
I'm not sure if either of the other two responses are from lawyers or people with experience in the legal arena, but I myself am a graduate of FCSL. I have heard all the talk about the school and I can say my experience was profoundly different than all the "trash talk" that is floating around about the school.

My only serious complaint was that the Bar prep program needed some work, which apparently has been changed significantly since I graduated in 2012. I am now a practicing attorney in the exact area of law I wanted to get into and I had no difficulty finding a job after graduation. Everyone I know that graduated with me has a job although some of them had a difficult time finding a job for a few months after graduation, others did not start out making as much money as they would have liked, and very few of them are not practicing law. As far as I am aware, all of the ones who decided not to practice did so of their own volition. Many of them moved to other cities to practice as well.

Just like at every other law school, students should expect to get out of the experience what they put into it. If you don't do internships or otherwise try to gain legal experience during law school, you will find it very hard to get a job after graduation, no matter what law school you attend. A top tier law school may look nice on a resume, however your success as a student and as a lawyer lies predominantly on your shoulders, not on the law school you choose to attend. Good luck!
I used to work at the Duval Courthouse (albeit not as a lawyer) and can tell you that a noticeable difference between lawyers who attended FCSL and those who attended top schools is that the ones with FCSL degrees usually went to work as public defenders probably making 45-50K a year. That's good money, especially in Jax, but not when you're in $130K debt. It depends on your priorities too. If you plan on going into criminal law, you can probably get a job as a public defender when you graduate FCSL, but its going to take you a while to put in some work before you get a reputation to be a prosecutor.

Also, if you plan to graduate and then move to another city, your degree isn't going to hold much weight in other areas of Florida. If you move to major metros like Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, or Tampa, you better have more on your resume because you'll be going up against UF, FSU, UM, and FIU grads who are held in much better light.

If it was me and I wanted to go into law, I would probably choose FSU because it maybe the most affordable program with the best reputation for price. Law seems to be a really "snobby" field, so credentials seem to hold more weight than in other professions where the entire package is looked at and people are given chances. OP can go to FSCL, but he needs to ask himself if starting out at 50K is really worth the $100K-130K+ debt he's gonna rack up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 05:55 PM

118 posts, read 341,214 times
Default FCSL July, 2014 Bar Passage Rate 2nd Lowest in FL

Here is a Jacksonville Times Union article detailing Florida Coastal students' passage rate for the most recent bar exam (July, 2014) in which Florida Coastal had the second lowest passage rate out of Florida's law schools. The passage rate was about 58 percent. Florida Coastal School of Law graduates finish second-to-last in passing the Bar | members.jacksonville.com

The article states that the average Florida Coastal student incurs $175,000 in debt. That's a massive amount of debt both individually and in the aggregate. Who is going to pay this debt if these students are unable to become lawyers?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 AM

410 posts, read 362,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904jax View Post
Here is a Jacksonville Times Union article detailing Florida Coastal students' passage rate for the most recent bar exam (July, 2014) in which Florida Coastal had the second lowest passage rate out of Florida's law schools. The passage rate was about 58 percent. Florida Coastal School of Law graduates finish second-to-last in passing the Bar | members.jacksonville.com

The article states that the average Florida Coastal student incurs $175,000 in debt. That's a massive amount of debt both individually and in the aggregate. Who is going to pay this debt if these students are unable to become lawyers?
ummmm...who is going to pay this debt even after they become lawyers? I'll tell you who- me.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
ummmm...who is going to pay this debt even after they become lawyers? I'll tell you who- me.
Are you a repeat offender?

Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 AM

410 posts, read 362,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Are you a repeat offender?
huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville