U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 03:15 PM

96 posts, read 256,839 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=141074&catid=3[/SIZE][/SIZE]

So this has become a pretty hot item here over the past day or two, since its first release back in May. Supposedly they had an Info session on the 23rd of June.

Is anyone familiar with when they will begin to hire for these positions? There are quite a few postings on their website but it looks like a lot of them are requiring federal service.

If you have any additional insight into this, it would be great to hear it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:06 PM

It looks like many are interested in viewing this but maybe no additional info is known so I'll share some info that I learned through other local contacts.

These roles are 2 year roles with an opportunity for a 2 year extension. They are requiring a minimum of 1 year of specialized federal experience as anywhere from a CG 7-13 level. Although it is listed as 500 jobs, the majority of those will be moved down from other locations and others filled by local agencies. Lowest paying position is $39k while the highest is around $180k. Will be primarily working with the receivership of failed financial institutions. Frequent overnight travel is required for all roles. I'm curious to c how many new hires will actually be made, but boots are supposed to be on the ground in a few months.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 PM

2,451 posts, read 5,464,598 times
Are these government jobs?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Are these government jobs?
Yes

Old 08-13-2010, 08:41 AM

7,470 posts, read 17,181,256 times
My wife applied for one of the FDIC jobs that was advertised in indeed.com. She got a reply thru e-mail that she has been accepted to take the Florida/Jacksonville Civil Service Test this coming Tuesday. An article stated that about 500 positions would be available. The office will be a temporary one set up at Old Baymeadows Road. The position she appled for is a 6 month temp position, but the salary would be great! We are hoping she will pass the test and get the job, but we don't know what the test will be like. We are sure that there will be lots of people taking this test that are at least half of her age.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Anyone else here in C-D Jax taking this test on Tuesday?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,605,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My wife applied for one of the FDIC jobs that was advertised in indeed.com. She got a reply thru e-mail that she has been accepted to take the Florida/Jacksonville Civil Service Test this coming Tuesday. An article stated that about 500 positions would be available. The office will be a temporary one set up at Old Baymeadows Road. The position she appled for is a 6 month temp position, but the salary would be great! We are hoping she will pass the test and get the job, but we don't know what the test will be like. We are sure that there will be lots of people taking this test that are at least half of her age.
I thought you were both retired and liked to do stuff together? Note that a poster said that a lot of travel would be required. And I suspect that is very true of at least some positions (don't know what geographical district this office would cover - but I would think at least the whole federal court Middle District of Florida). And if you're not familiar with how the FDIC works "on the outside" - it will usually come in on a Friday afternoon - shut down the institution - work all weekend - and open up the institution with its new owner (assuming someone is willing to buy the institution's assets) in charge on Monday. So I suspect there's a lot of weekend work and travel as well.

FWIW - here are the job descriptions (some pretty technical stuff):

FDIC: East Coast Temporary Satellite Office - Jacksonville, Florida (http://www.fdic.gov/about/eastcoastoffice/index.html - broken link)

Does your wife have experience in any of these fields? Robyn

Old 08-14-2010, 08:00 AM

Yes, she has experience in some of these fields. Anyway, they accepted her resume and set her up for the Civil Service Test......she must have experience on her resume they like, right?
As far as the weekend work and travel......she is studing for the test as I'm writing this and if she passes the test, then will come the interview (I think) and at that time she will hear the hours involved. If she doesn't want to work weekends and travel all over......she will tell them right then "sorry, no longer interested" and that's that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I thought you were both retired and liked to do stuff together? Note that a poster said that a lot of travel would be required. And I suspect that is very true of at least some positions (don't know what geographical district this office would cover - but I would think at least the whole federal court Middle District of Florida). And if you're not familiar with how the FDIC works "on the outside" - it will usually come in on a Friday afternoon - shut down the institution - work all weekend - and open up the institution with its new owner (assuming someone is willing to buy the institution's assets) in charge on Monday. So I suspect there's a lot of weekend work and travel as well.

FWIW - here are the job descriptions (some pretty technical stuff):

FDIC: East Coast Temporary Satellite Office - Jacksonville, Florida (http://www.fdic.gov/about/eastcoastoffice/index.html - broken link)

Does your wife have experience in any of these fields? Robyn

Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Well, tomorrow is the day, in the AM! Drove to downtown area, across from a college, where the exam will take place. A man said the exam will take 2 hours. My wife thought it would take 4 plus hours......sure glad she's wrong! She's been studying like a Pastor studying for a big, big sermon. She's tired now and will be really glad when this is all over......she can go back to her normal life! She will get an e-mail telling her how she done. She told me, that on the average, she is getting 70% on her some of her sample tests, but getting much higher on the "accounting" sample tests. The lady does know her math and Accounting......that is for sure!
We will see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville