U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,104 times

Advertisements

If so any information you can provide would be great. My husband just got restationed to Jacksonville (he's in the Navy). We will be living down there in another couple months and I'll be 8 months pregnant.

What did you think of the hospital? Do the babies room in with the moms or do the nurses take them off to the nursery? Do you know if they allow birthing balls? Water births? What is their childbirth class like?

Any information that you can provide about giving birth in Jacksonville would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 05:10 AM

52 posts, read 179,670 times
The hospital was good. Nice, clean and Modern. Private rooms, except the possibility of being moved after giving birth if they get real busy. Which did not happen for us.

Babies stay in the room with the mother. I don't think they allow birthing balls or water births. I think there is a natural birthing place nearby to the hospital, though.

Childbirth class was good. We took a few birth/breastfeeding/infant safety classes around town and the nurse at the St. Lukes childbirth was by far the most knowledgeable.

The nurse who did most of the delivery was absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, the after care was terrible. That nurse could not remember any of our requests. We had to ask multiple times to get anything done. Very disappointing.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM
jmc

101 posts, read 807,728 times
Overall, we had a good experience having our son at St. Lukes. I was able to go natural and not forced to use the epidural or other interventions. They don't have a tub for water births but allow you to labor in the shower. I don't think they allow birthing balls (liability maybe?), but I could be wrong. I highly suggest Dr. Van Scriver and Dr. Slade (A Place for Women) for your ob/gyn. Dr. Slade delivered our baby and is awesome! I took a Bradley class independent from the hospital so am not familiar with St. Luke's birthing classes. As the poster mentioned above, babies do room with you. Best wishes to you and your baby!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,584 times
Default NOT a happy camper with this place

I know this is too late for this poster but I thought, for those who might be googling this in the future, that I should respond. I was present at a labor and delivery of a good friend early this morning and I am NOT impressed. If you are ok with tons of interventions (including the use of meds that are NOT approved for such use and lying about it), a bulldozer midwife ((I prefer to call her a MEDwife since she is an embarrassment to the legitimate midwife community), a lack of informed consent, the inability to find a nurse or midwife when the mama is ready to push, the inability to find a nurse or midwife when the mama is hemorhaging after the birth, lots of blaming others, including the mama, when all of those interventions go wrong, then folks, THIS is the place for YOU!

And it is disgusting when the mantra is, "well, as long as everything turns out ok in the end, that's all that matters". The truth is that a good birth experience helps with bonding, nursing, good parenting and a myriad of other issues.

I plan on contacting this hospital and detailing all that happened and how many illegal practices went on during this labor and delivery. And if ONE person from the hospital tells me that all is well as long as both mom and baby are well I am going to hurt someone!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 PM

13 posts, read 85,376 times
I am going to be giving birth here. I did my research and am using A Place for Women for my doctors. -- Mami2Three, I think the birth experience you have definitely depends on who your doctors are. A Place For Women is the ONLY place I would ever go in Jax if you want a natural labor with minimum interventions. Also, anyone reading this in the future should do themselves a favor and find themselves a good doula. Labor at home for as long as you can and really educate yourself before you go to the hospital so that if you do have crappy doctors they can't push a bunch of unnecessary interventions on you.

Going to childbirth preparation classes does NOT constitute educating yourself either. My husband and I just did one of these and we were so annoyed at how useless the class was. Those classes just teach you to be good little patients and to think that interventions are just normal and that you should go along with them if they are recommended. The nurse that taught our class really didn't want to talk about the fact that interventions tend to lead to even more interventions and that there are alternatives to things like constant fetal monitoring or that the eye drops are not automatically necessary for all babies. She didn't even mention the Hep B vaccine, either, and she really should have.

You've got to do your own research- a lot of it- and make sure you are really informed on your own. If you don't, the birth is going to be something that feels like it is happening "to you" because you won't be in the position to take any control back because you won't really know any better.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,584 times
bsgm- all you have said is so true, especially about those dumb classes. Unfortunately, my friend and her hubby did go to a birthing center and were seen by a midwife there that they really liked, however, at 41+ weeks they had to see the "backup OB" who immediately said that because of high blood pressure and some swelling, she was being diagnosed with pre-enclampsia and that she needed to go immediately to the hospital. She then spoke to her midwife who told her to do as the Dr. said. She also sang the praises of the idiot medwife at the hospital and told her to do anything that she said, that she was "in good hands". As soon as she got to the hospital, the medwife there told her that she did NOT have pre-enclampsia and that her blood pressure was not that bad and that some swelling, like hers, was normal (I'm just sitting there thinking, "then what the heck are we doing here???") Needless to say, the interventions began right then and there. First she was induced "it's just a little pill that will soften your cervix"...I immediately asked, is it Cytotec, because that is not approved by the manufacturer for this use, it's actually warned by the manufacturer that the use could cause uterine rupture. She seemed to annoyed that I dared to question her but she reassured my friend that this was not cytotech but rather misoprostal (which I later googled and found that it WAS the same exact medication...grrrrr) Where the heck is the informed consent there???? They offered her an epidural or some sort of medication and she refused. Throughout the labor they kept offering her meds. This is the best part, after 4 hours on the "little pill" they put another one in and then the nurse comes and and tells her (mind you, she is finally in active labor) that the medwife is going home and wants her to take a sleeping pill so she can rest till morning...WTHeck??!! She is finally in labor, due to their "emergency" intervention, and they want her to SLEEP!!?? Thankfully, she said, absolutely NOT and they continued to insist until they finally gave up and made sure to tell her that this was against medical advice. Later on, when she was about 6 centimeters and having the urge to push, the monitor on the baby kept sleeping due to her movements trying not to push and the medwife comes in and says, we will HAVE to put in a fetal monitor in the babies head and my friend tells her "no, I dont want to hurt my baby, please dont put that in there" and the medwife continues to prepart to put in the monitor and my friend is now wailing "Noooo, Please, please, dont do this!!" and this women is continuing to prepare...finally, the hubby, whom I have NEVER seen get mad, yells at the woman "She is telling you NO!! Why aren't you listening to her??!!"...The look on the woman's face was pure evil. She did NOT like being questioned or refused. From that point on, it was so obvious that she was going to spit in our soup (or my favorite redneck saying, "she started to pee in our cornflakes!") For instance, once it was obvious that my friend was in transition and probably had dilated enough to push, she wouldn't come in the room and without checking her cervix, I didn't want to encourage her to push. I went in search of the nurse (who was a sweetheart) but was told that she wasn't "allowed" to check her from now on, only the medwife could. Well, she went to tell the medwife that my friend was ready to push and was not able to hold off any more to please check her and she said, OK, and proceeded to make a phone call. 20 minutes later she is still not in the room so I started pushing all the buttons in the room and yelled at the nurse who answered, "a dr. or nurse better get in this room ASAP or this baby is going to be born without anyone attending!!" She finally came in and took her sweet time to check her and of course, she was 10 centimeters and ready to push. Grrrr...

A couple of hours after the baby was born, my friend started to hemorrhage and went into shock and the medwife came in and "saved" her from hemorrhaging to death and turns to the husband and says, "arent you glad she gave birth in a hospital, she would have died in the birthing center"....OH MY WORD! I'm glad I wasn't there cuz I would have said, "maybe without your interventions, she wouldn't have hemorrhaged and she wouldn't have needed to be "saved"!!!"

Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 AM

13 posts, read 85,376 times
Wow that is awful! I will be laboring at home for as long as possible with my doula!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville