Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:58 PM

49 posts, read 167,601 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocated to Florida from NC, to be closer to family. We have family in Edgewater and Vero. Work is not an issue right now, so we are focusing on schools for elementary and middle, close to beach and intercostal, smaller town feel, parks and rec, shopping. Jacksonville area catches my eye as does St. Augustine and Palm Coast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
You have many of options.

Price would be a major factor, what's your range?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM

49 posts, read 167,601 times
around the 400000 range.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 AM

I'm not great at giving recommendations on the Southside & Beaches parts of town as far as where to live. Most of the areas are very similar and indistinguishable to me.

That being said, there are plenty of subdivisions from Jax down to St. Aug that would fit your needs. Most of the areas near the beaches & intracoastal are going to generally be considered safe & family friendly.

(if you want some info on the Historic neighborhoods near the city, then i can be more help)

Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 11,335 times
If you have children and are concerned about their educations, I would recommend either St. Johns county or Clay county; Duval doesn't have the best reputation and with your budget you should be able to get into Oakleaf, Fleming Island, or Eagle Harbour- exceptional communities. Good luck

Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 AM

peope that actually fear Duval county schools are mind-boggling to me.

it's ridiculous & unfounded, in my opinion....and most others.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 AM

24 posts, read 133,956 times
I would recommend Saint Johns county as well. I don't have kids so I don't know about the schools but my parents live in that area and it is a very nice place.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

Totally agree with your assessment.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:44 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

there are no stats to back it up?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:01 PM

stats? as in....what? letter grades of schools? hmmm.....let me find that.....

Duval County Increases Number of A and B Schools

Jacksonville, FL - Duval County Public Schools has increased the number of schools receiving a school grade of an A or B to 101, which is more than two-thirds of the schools that receive grades compared to 85 last year, according to results released today by the Florida Department of Education. Additionally, the number of schools receiving a D or F has decreased.
This year, 101 schools out of 148 earned good or excellent grades, which represents about two-thirds of the district's schools. Nineteen schools received a D or F, down from 26 in 2008.
"These gains in achievement can be attributed to the hard work of our students, teachers, principals and district support staff," said Superintendent Ed Pratt-Dannals. "We are especially encouraged by the progress the majority of our elementary and middle turnaround schools have made."
Forty-five schools have improved their grades, 17 of which have increased dramatically by two or more letter grades.
The district credits many of the successes, particularly in the turnaround elementary and middle schools, to an increased focus and support to students and staff. Additional support and professional development opportunities will be provided to the schools with the greatest challenges.
"Community involvement is vital to student success," said School Board Chairman Tommy Hazouri. "Thanks to the tireless efforts of our teachers, community members and collaborative partnerships, the quality of education for Duval County students has greatly improved."
School grades are based on student performance as measured by the Sunshine State Standards section of the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT). The 2009 FCAT results released in May reported that more Duval County students are performing at or above grade level in reading, math and science compared to previous years.
Duval County's school-level summary reports are available here. Complete state, district, and school-level summary reports are available at: http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org. Duval County Public Schools operates more than 160 schools and serves approximately 125,000 students. The school district is committed to providing high quality educational opportunities that will inspire all students to acquire and use the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in a global economy, and culturally diverse world.

so basically if you live in an ok area of town, the schools will be fine. even if you don't, you can always send your kid to a magnet school (assuming they are smart enough.....it's not hard, trust me).</SPAN>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville