U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 AM

604 posts, read 4,367,864 times

Advertisements

As Riveree said, the light attracts insects which will attract more frogs. I replace mine with a flouresant yellow bulb (hard to find but avail at HD) I was constantly having to clean the vinyl ceiling of the porch b/c of the insect buildup as DH likes to keep light on all night. I only have to clean every 6 mos now . The little green frogs don't bother me unless they fall on my head when I open the door!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 01:53 PM

27 posts, read 131,108 times
The condo that we are in has the yellow lights on our porch and they stay on all night. We are slowly getting use to the frogs. Also, if there are frogs by our porch it means that the snake is no where around. Yes, new information there is a 6ft snake the lives behind our house!

Old 07-18-2009, 06:06 PM

160 posts, read 264,789 times
I love reading the FL post about all the critters. We'll be moving to the St Augustine area soon from Maine and can't wait! My kids love all creatures and will pick up any bug/critter (even snakes as there are only harmless ones in Maine - have told them that Fl ones can be dangerous). My daughter is such a tomboy -hates barbie and has nothing pink!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,864 times
Unhappy Be careful of large frogs near your door!

PLEASE make sure you know what kind of large "frogs" you have at your door.

I had a large "frog" that liked to sit on my front porch and eat the bugs that would come to the porch light. Unfortunately, I had no idea when I moved to Florida that this TOAD was a Bufo Marinus toad, which are not native to Florida, but they were introduced here for pest control reasons.

Well, our cat got out one night and we found her "playing" with this toad, slapping at it, hissing and biting it. We stopped her and brought her inside.

Within 20 minutes, our cat was convulsing. We took her to the emergency vet and explained what we saw and his facial expression just dropped. Within 4 hours our beloved cat was dead.

The Bofus Marinus toad secretes a highly toxic, milky secretion out of glands in it's head when threatened. Our cat suffered a horrible death for four hours, despite attempts being made to save her. Her heart rate was over 200 beats per minute for 3 hours and the convulsions did not stop. It was a horrible thing to watch that I NEVER want anyone to watch their pet go through. There is not a lot you can do.

PLEASE make sure the "large frog" near your door doesn't look like this:

[URL]http://www.vivanatura.org/Bufo_marinus3.jpg[/URL]

If it does, capture it in a box or net and remove it far away from your home. Better yet, dispose of it. I am not for cruelty to animals but this toad is nothing but a monster and will kill your pets, and god forbid a small child unknowingly plays with one.

Please pass this information on to anyone you know. It may the save lives of pets and perhaps children.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:24 PM

118 posts, read 364,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAChessMom View Post
The condo that we are in has the yellow lights on our porch and they stay on all night. We are slowly getting use to the frogs. Also, if there are frogs by our porch it means that the snake is no where around. Yes, new information there is a 6ft snake the lives behind our house!
Don't be so sure, one time when there was a frog sitting on my patio chair, I let my dogs out and then noticed a snake sitting under the chair, hunting that frog. I had to hurry and try to get the dogs back in before they noticed the snake.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,472 times
wat about dreaming of a green snake and a frog together on da front door?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,489,708 times
MacDad: Good info post about the frog which is also known as the Cane Frog. There are many threats to pets and children in the Florida environment. Being informed is the best first defense.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,489,708 times
Thanks to Madcap for being kind enough to PM the error in my last post. Correction to my last post: The Bufo Marinus Toad is also known as the Cane Toad (not Frog).

Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,558 times
To the OP, try mothballs near your front door. They keep frogs away as well as bugs.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 565 times
I have a frog living in the wreath I put on my front door. I love frogs and have named him or her Leaper. I changed wreaths recently because the other one was weather beaten and the frog moved into the new one. Sometimes I will lift one of the leaves and tell it "Hello." We get along great and I am lucky to have this visitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville