U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:14 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,205,631 times

Advertisements

Xtreme guy, just come down for a couple of days on a nice vacay and visit to see which area fits you. I don't live in OP but it isn't a bad area and its close enough to Jax/Duval county that you'll hardly noticed you entered into OP until you see the thing known as Blanding Blvd. That's a very good indicator that you've entered OP. OPark maybe a good fit for you or it may not be just like any other area of the Jax metro. That way you'll be able to judge for yourself.

If you like free concerts, every summer the City of Jacksonville Beach holds a jazz summer concert series from about late June through mid Aug at Jax Bch. Maybe you can partake in that next year if you like jazz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 10,675 times
I am a brand new resident to Jacksonville, so new that I just put the deposit on my apartment today, and will be starting my new job in three weeks. Let me just point out that I am staying with some friends in Oakleaf Plantation, in Orange Park, and yes it is kinda far from the Southside of Jacksonville where I will be working. HOWEVER, the amenities in the community are awesome- a waterpark resort style swimming pool for the kids, an olympic size pool for the adults, 24 hour fitness center, tennis courts, gardens and parks, lotsa green landscaping, all the houses are built around man made retention lakes, and QUIET. Orange Park is ideal for children as well compared to Jacksonville simply because of the schools- Clay county are ALL A rated. Duval is hit and miss from A to F graded schools, and chances are you are going to pay a pretty penny if you live in an A rated district. Now for some of MY facts- we chose Ortega because its 5 miles from Orange Park, right by NAS and 295, because we will both be working in Jax, and the elementary school in our district is A rated and a magnet school. Can't get much better than that. Iencourage you to RENT before you jump into a mortgage, because as sweeet as the market is right now, you really want to know enough about your neighborhood before you buy. You can rent a decent 3 bedroom in Oakleaf for around 1200 per month, but the price is higher because of all of the amenities. One more thing- I have a beautiful sweet rottweiler, and NO ONE down here will allow her, so we had to find a home for her. In other words, if you have a dog that weighs more than 25 pounds you're gonna have to break the childrens hearts unfortunately. Something about the insurance down here won't allow you to have a large dog, and especially a vicious breed. Also, this place is HUGE so invest in two GPS systems til you all find your way around. We tried to go without one, but after a few hours of apartment hunting, we were desperate for one. Oh, stay away from 103rd street, and Normandy. Through research, I found out there are alot of burglaries in that area. Not sure, but I have heard North Jax is the ghetto. Good luck and trust me this place is the best place to live in Florida as far as price, and Jacksonville is the largest city in the US as far as land mass. 10 miles here is like a 25 mile journey back home as far as time, just because the roads are constantly busy. Also they don't have the best city bussing system here either.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 AM

80 posts, read 282,038 times
Default Wells Lake area?

Hey all,

I want to consider Orange Park. Can you tell me anything about the area around Wells Lake, between the Orange Park Mall and the river? Is that the good OPark, or the bad OPark? How does it compare to Baymeadows and Intercoastal?

Thanks much!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:01 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,399,915 times
i warned you (ha)....

Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 AM

80 posts, read 282,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
i warned you (ha)....
I know, I'm going in warned, but the apartments are more affordable, so I have to at least consider it.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 AM

10,604 posts, read 15,035,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvittitoe View Post
One more thing- I have a beautiful sweet rottweiler, and NO ONE down here will allow her, so we had to find a home for her. In other words, if you have a dog that weighs more than 25 pounds you're gonna have to break the childrens hearts unfortunately. Something about the insurance down here won't allow you to have a large dog, and especially a vicious breed.
OMG YOU HAD TO REHOME YOUR DOG? SERIOUSLY? You couldn't get insurance or any place to live?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:47 AM

133 posts, read 156,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Hey all,

I want to consider Orange Park. Can you tell me anything about the area around Wells Lake, between the Orange Park Mall and the river? Is that the good OPark, or the bad OPark? How does it compare to Baymeadows and Intercoastal?

Thanks much!
I wouldn't care for that area too much. Too close to Duval County for me. The old part of Orange Park around Doctors Lake is great. Oak Leaf Plantation is a whole community in itself and very nice. The intercoastal is fantastic if you can afford to live there. We just ate at Caps over the weekend......you must go there when you come down. If me and my husband were all alone, no kids, we would be over by the intercoastal. Maybe in a few more years. Right now Orange Park is better for the family. Plus we are at NAS a couple of times a week. Wells Lake? I wouldn't.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 AM

7,472 posts, read 17,267,292 times
We visited Jax-South & OP last December to look for an apt.. We looked at a number of apts in the Baymeadows Blvd/Southside Blvd area as well as a couple in OP. We ended up with an apt in the Baymeadows/Southside Blvds area......and really like the area and the apartment! Even though there are a lot of people who live in the OP area, it just wasn't for us. Now, the area down by Dr.'s Lake is absolutely beautiful, but it would be of a drive for a person working in downtown JAX.......but we are sure there is a lot of folks who make the drive! By the way, we are an older couple (60/61) and wanted an area-apt complex that was basically quiet at night.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,848,700 times
Wow, so much I want to say.........

Well Xtreme, since you plan on renting first, I highly recommend renting in the Baymeadows area. Many newcomers land in Baymeadows when they first relocate to Jax. There are a lot of apartments in the area to choose from and they are nice and reasonably-priced. I doubt you'll want to bike to work. Baymeadows is a work-hub and the traffic is hectic during the workday, it's tough enough driving through the area at commute-time, biking through it can be dangerous. You'll see what I mean .

For beach-life, nothing beats living at the beach . Atlantic Beach is lovely and great for bike-riding. Once you're here, check out all the beaches - Atlantic, Neptune, Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra. Each has a different feel and can be great places to live if it works for your budget.

A close second to living at the beach is living in the Intracoastal area. Intracoastal West is very affordable and the housing stock is very new (much of it is 5-10 years old and newer). You'd be 10-15 minutes to the beach and about 25 minutes to Baymeadows. Tons of shopping, restaurants, etc. and much of it brand new. Check out zip codes 32224, 32225 and 32246 to see the housing available. Nice apartments here for rent too.

You mentioned that you want to be in an 'active and safe suburb not far from civilization'. When I read that, along with your like of bike-riding, I immediately think of the river neighborhoods. I also like to bike ride and when I do, I like to ride to somewhere - a destination. I don't want to ride in a loop around the block, I want to see something, do something. The density of the older river neighborhoods often allows you to bike to a coffee shop, or a restaurant or a city park. If that's the kind of neighborhood you're attracted to, don't rule out the neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Some of our nicest, most exclusive neighborhoods surround downtown. The only catch is that the housing stock is going to be more 1920's than 1990's .

Now on to Orange Park......

Orange Park is not part of Jacksonville (Duval county), but instead is Clay county. It is, however, a bedroom community to Jacksonville because a large percentage of the population of Orange Park commute into Jacksonville daily for work. The result is that Clay county commuters have the worst commute time than anywhere else in the state of Florida. It's really not debatable, it's a fact:

The worst commute hits the road in Clay | Jacksonville.com

So if you know you'll be working in Baymeadows, why do that to yourself?

Orange Park is nice enough. If you work there, or have family living there, or you believe the schools are better, then I can see the reasoning. But if you want access to shopping, restaurants, nightlife, the beach, an easy commute to work, etc., there are better choices than Orange Park.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,848,700 times
I responded inside the quotes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvittitoe View Post
I am a brand new resident to Jacksonville, so new that I just put the deposit on my apartment today, and will be starting my new job in three weeks. Let me just point out that I am staying with some friends in Oakleaf Plantation, in Orange Park, and yes it is kinda far from the Southside of Jacksonville where I will be working. HOWEVER, the amenities in the community are awesome-...

Yes, Clay county has Master-planned communities with all the amenities. They are not exclusive to Clay county though. Both Duval and St. John's counties are covered up with Master-planned communities as well. The same developers built in all the counties. You can even find the same exact house in different counties, down to the floor plan

Now for some of MY facts- we chose Ortega because its 5 miles from Orange Park, right by NAS and 295, because we will both be working in Jax, and the elementary school in our district is A rated and a magnet school.

So you ended up choosing Jacksonville in the end (Ortega neighborhood). Glad you found a Jacksonville school you liked.

One more thing- I have a beautiful sweet rottweiler, and NO ONE down here will allow her, so we had to find a home for her. In other words, if you have a dog that weighs more than 25 pounds you're gonna have to break the childrens hearts unfortunately. Something about the insurance down here won't allow you to have a large dog, and especially a vicious breed.

That's very sad . The bigger dogs are very hard to place, it's good you found a home for her. I'm sure it wasn't your intention to call your rottweiler a "viscious" breed of dog but you were merely pointing out the breed discrimination you faced when dealing with the insurance companies. The insurers have made it very difficult for homeowners and renters alike. For anyone reading this thread who has a rottie or any of the bull breeds, knowing about the discrimination is important - forwarned is forearmed .

Last edited by riveree; 07-13-2009 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or