U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 AM

80 posts, read 282,111 times

Advertisements

Young family, looking for safe neighborhoods, good schools, family activities.

We know nothing about the city, any information would be really helpful...

Are these good areas?
- Baymeadows
- Intercoastal
- Orange Park
- ...others?

Plus, any general advice for potentially new residents?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:27 AM

4,432 posts, read 13,069,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Are these good areas?
- Baymeadows
- Intercoastal
- Orange Park
- ...others?
Yes -- plus a huge host of other places -- it all depends on what kind of lifestyle fits your family. Older or newer house? Master-planned community or a neighborhood or rural? Near the beach or distance-doesn't-matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Plus, any general advice for potentially new residents?
First piece of advice is to determine where you'll be working and the length of commute you're willing to make. From that you can figure out potential areas to look at for a home. The Jacksonville area is huge.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up more info

Hi mawipafl, thanks for the reply!

I'd be working in the Baymeadows area...
- So, obviously finding a place in Baymeadows would be neat.
- Intercoastal is still only a few extra minutes away.
- Orange Park is a bit further, but I'd still like your opinions on it.

As for our preferences...
- a newer house I think is preferred, but not a requirement.
- towards the beach would be nice, but definitely not a requirement. [EDIT: let me retract this statement... being near the beach doesn't really matter that much, pretty far down the list]
- as for a neighborhood preference, master-planned, or anything really... not downtown (cost, safety, commute), but definitely not out in the middle of nowhere (I can't stand being hidden from civilization). An active and safe suburb would be ideal.

One last thing: in a perfect scenario, I would be able to ride my bike to work... are the Jax roads bicycle-friendly? No big deal if not, just curious.

Thanks a LOT for any insight you can provide!

Last edited by Xtreme; 07-10-2009 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: meh, a longer drive to the beach isn't a big deal, it won't be an everyday thing

Old 07-10-2009, 08:30 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,401,005 times
- You do not want to live in Orange Park. I can't think of one positive thing to say about living there while working in Jacksonville, or visa versa.

- Most houses in the Baymeadows area and the Southside in general are going to be of the newer, suburbish type. Much to choose from.

- Cost & safety are not anything to be overly concerned about while living near Downtown. Plenty of affordable housing in perfectly safe neighborhoods, as anywhere else.

- Except for the Historic neighborhoods that surrond Downtown & ther Beaches, there are not many bike-friendly areas in the city. Especially in the Baymeadows & Southside area in general.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 AM

4,432 posts, read 13,069,926 times
Blanket statements about Orange Park are not fair. Commute-wise is it ideal to live here and work across the river in Baymeadows? No, not ideal for some, but doable for others. Like absolutely every part of Jacksonville, in Orange Park there are less desirable sections as well as very desirable neighborhoods.

Because biking to work is on your list of 'perfect scenario', that somewhat tells me that a short commute would be your preference. There are many neighborhoods in the Baymeadows area. I have to agree with fsu813 that Jacksonville is not the most friendly for bikes-as-commuting. Bike riding for pleasure, well, there are many places for that.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:44 PM

133 posts, read 156,178 times
I beg to differ on Orange Park. I came here over 10 years ago from a small town in Kentucky, and I love it. From my house I can be at the beach in 30 minutes, no traffic. I feel very safe, great stores, great people, I can be downtown in 20 minutes, but I only go there on the weekends for the free concerts. I live right on the water, and catch blue crab every day.........by the way they taste good!!!!! If you like a small town feel in the middle of big city life, Orange Park is the place. Schools are fantastic here. Read the stats before you move. That's what I did. If you can come down for as few days, even better. I live close to Park ave. but by the water. Plenty of good deals now. Check out Orange Park Elementary. I wish you the best..........

Old 07-11-2009, 12:25 AM

Smile wow, great stuff!

Hey everybody, thanks for all the great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813
Most houses in the Baymeadows area and the Southside in general are going to be of the newer, suburbish type. Much to choose from.
Well, now that you mention it, what is the housing market like? We'll be in an apartment for the first year while we get to know the area, but a home purchase is definitely on the to-do list. I'll surely do my own research, but any personal opinions/stories are very welcomed. Is the market still going down? Is there a high foreclosure rate? What is currently typical for a 2000-2500 sqr foot home in the Baymeadows or Intercoastal area? Are people selling, or is the market relatively slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl
Because biking to work is on your list of 'perfect scenario', that somewhat tells me that a short commute would be your preference.
It's the perfect scenario, but if biking to work isn't really a viable option (which sounds like is the case), than length of commute gets a lot less important. Shorter is obviously better, but I'd be willing to go as high as 45 mins if the area is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMeBack
If you like a small town feel in the middle of big city life, Orange Park is the place.
Well, not really. Small town feel kinda drives me nuts. I much rather be in the middle of a busy city, but I know it's typically better for the family to be in the burbs. That's why we prefer active and safe suburb within driving distance of downtown.

What about in general? Is north/airport not desirable? Are west and south the good parts? What general Jax things, known by long-time residents, should a potential resident know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMeBack
weekends for the free concerts.
Aha, yes, excellent stuff. Free concerts are good. Any other gems like this? Good family outings? Anything happening at the beach? Better yet, any good websites that outline Jax perks? I know of a few (funjax.com, jaxevents.com, jax4kids.com), and I'll be doing more research. What about things like museums (kids, science, art, etc), theatre, zoos, amusement parks, etc.

I know I'm asking about a lot if different topics. I can split this into multiple threads if that's preferred. Thanks for everything!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,401,005 times
- it is very much a buyers market now. prices are settling and sales are increasing, but at lower prices. that area has a ton of apartments as well, so you won't have any issues either way. those 2 areas that you mentioned are very large so porices will range widely depending on exactly where you are. for that size of house, relatively new, in one of the better areas, i'd say at least 250k (at least), probably 50k more.

- as far as country vs. burbs vs. city........you don't want to live in OP.
There are very family friendly and desirable neighborhoods around Downtown, such as Riverside, Avondale, Sam Marco, Murray Hill, & Ortega. Even Springfield is relatively family friendly, although it's the mnost rough around the edges now. All of these are older, established, historic neighborhoods that are about 15 or less (most much less) from downtown. You could find a nice 2000 sq ft home in Riverside for 250k, Avondale for 300k, San Marco for around the same price, Murray hill for about 250k, Ortega for 350k, and Springfield for 225k. Just rough estimates. Plenty of families and community organizations in these areas.

- Northside is a mix of rural, nice, & ghetto. Depends on where you are. In general it's not as developed. From downtown going North, you first get into Springfield which used to be very bad, not so much any more. In the middle of a renovation period, lots of strong community organizations and is considerd a neighborhood in transition right now, which is good b/c it's coming up quickly & bad b/c it still has rough edges. Then you get into New Springfield and the ghetto. Then you come to middle-class areas, mixed with bad areas, then you get into rural areas which are relatively nice.

- Jax is a huge city land-wise. So living near work is desirable if possible. There are a lot of rednecks, hicks, white trash, & ghetto people here. Try to avoid them at all costs (ha). Besides that, the only difference b/t Jax and any other mid-sized big city are the amount of Gator fans here. It's rather sickening.

- Family & kids stuff: Jax Zoo on the Northside, Cummer Museum of Arts & Gardens in Riverside, Museum of Science & History in Downtown, Adventure Landing at the Beach is a good mini theme park, Sea Walk Pavillion at Jax Beach has concerts and festivals a lot, Riverside Arts Market in Riverside is a art/food/music weekly festival, San Marco Theater in San Marco has a great kids live performance theatre, The Jax Memorial Arena & the Times-Union Performance Art center (both Downtown) also has lots of kids shows during the year, Movies in the Park shows movies outdoors during the summer at various publc parks around the city, there are a ton of very nice public parks in the Historic areas that surrond Downtown (Riverside, Avondale, Springfield, San Marco, Murray Hill) in which families & others visit often, and they hold festivals (Dog Days in Park at Klutho park in Springfield & Riverside Arts festival in Riverside for example), Jax Suns baseball and Jags football are both Downtown, Art Walk is a monthly evening walking tour of all kinds of art & music, which is Downtown, Kona Skate park in Arlington, The Jax Landing is Downtown and has a lot of festivals, live music, and is the designated gathering spot for the city for holidays, celebrations, events, etc, YMCA's are all over the town (17 in all) but the 2 largest are in Riverside & on the Southside...the one in Mandarin is very family friendly as well, Hanna Park is a nice family-friendly beachside state park, just North of Jax Beach, plenty of community sports leagues, lots of great public library programs for kids - including the Main Library downtown which is the nicest and largest in the state...

i could go on......

Old 07-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Thumbs up holy crap

Dude, I don't suppose your head has a USB port, huh? I'd like to download everything you know straight to my PC, if you don't mind.

Seriously though, this is a gold mine! Thanks for taking the time to post all this stuff, it's REALLY appreciated. Time for me to hit Google and get details on all this!

Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,344,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
-- as far as country vs. burbs vs. city........you don't want to live in OP.

You seem to have a prejudice against Orange Park for whatever reason. If you really want to be an authority on where people should live or should not live then you need to state your reasons. A good reason would be commuting to metro Jax. Otherwise I am sure that OP is a perfect fit for a whole bunch of people.

BTW I don't live there. Just wanna be fair.

Last edited by cricketfan; 07-11-2009 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or