U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM

90 posts, read 233,648 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job offer coming through soon for employment in Jacksonvillethat I would really love to accept. We are thinking of moving down and living off my salary for a while until my husband finds work. Not sure if anyone out there is in the IT industry but he is a senior systems analyst/team lead with a lot of experience but he can't even get a response to his resume from the apps he has put in from out of state! We know the salaries are lower and that's OK. Do you think its realistic to expect that once he has a Florida address that he might find something within 6-8 months? Or is the job market for IT that bad??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 PM

919 posts, read 2,344,727 times
I sent one resume out to Jacksonville while I was living in MD and got a response back in 2 months... Another month after that and here I am in JAX...

The IT job is not bad here... Anywhere there is a base there are IT jobs and JAX has two...

Where do you live now? I can't tell you how much less the salaries are if I don't know where you live... Coming from MD though the salaries for my job (software developer) are slightly lower but not proportionally to how much cheaper it is to live here... I was lucky though and actually got a raise...

There is a laundry list of defense contractors that your husband can send his resume out to... Analysts are in less demand than developers but he should definitely be able to find something...

Old 07-10-2009, 03:00 PM

6,960 posts, read 7,619,241 times
Hey tercel, you work in IT at a base in Jax and you live in OP? Any chance you work at Cecil? I have a good friend who runs IT (i think) for the defense dept at Cecil.

i can't remember if i responded to you when you were first moving here, but just in case i never did, let me say hello and welcome now.

sorry for getting off topic, windsor!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the reply - my husband has been working in Michigan for the past 10 years but we are Canadian. I believe he is not allowed to work defense contracts because he is not a US citizen. He just works on a TN visa which is really easy to get and takes a day (no cost to the employer). His contract in Michigan ended many months ago and the unemployment there now is around 20%. He was making a good salary but we really don't care about taking a pay cut at this point. He has worked for Blue Cross for several years and also at the Court and in the Telecom industry amongst others. He has done some Project Management (no PMP though) and has had a lot of responsibility so the qualifications are there...just not sure if the jobs are! But thanks Tercel, it helps to know they called someone who wasnt local!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:12 PM

windsor the fact that your husband is not a US citizen does limit his job options quite a bit especially as an analyst but there are still plenty of options... For instance the company I work for, BAE and quite a few other defense contractors also do commercial work as well... I don't know a ton about Michigan or Canada for that matter (Except for Georges St. Pierre and Rush) but I am really happy with my decision to move to Florida... I finally feel like I am getting my moneys worth out of where I live...

To projectMaximus the company I worked for has an office in Orange Park but I am full-time at Cecil... I do belive you are one of the people that assisted me in my decision to move down here... I moved down here sight unseen based on mostly the information I got on this forum and it was one of the best decisions of my life... So thank you in case I haven't thanked you already...

Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks Tercel - we will look into the commercial side of the contracts. I guess he is just going to have to keep looking and we will probably have to make the decision to move without him knowing that he has something lined up - we can live off my salary because the cost of living is so low in FL but it will be a bit tight and it would have been nice to have a little more breathing room financially. I'm glad you are enjoying it down there - it's good to hear from someone who is happy with their move. There are so many people on the forums that complain not just about FL, but about wherever they live ( I read posts from TX, CA, NC, ect..there's always someone complaining about how horrible their state is!).
PS : My husband loved Rush!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 PM

There are a lot of negative people on this forum... I frequent this forum and the MD forum and seem to find a lot more negativity here... There is always some kind of grass is greener scenario... I moved out at 18 and I am now 21 and I just couldn't get by in MD, it was prohibitively expensive...

JAX is affordable and I never have to see another snowflake again... Sorry but the "great white north" just doesn't do it for me...

Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Ya, we are pretty sick of the cold and snow too and it is a major motivator for leaving!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 10,668 times
Default kvit

Hi, all. I just want to say, I sent my resume to over 300 positions, total, and besides the scams that seem to be around here, I finally got a sweet job offer. My background is in IT, so just a word of advice- try telecommunications. The money is here, just gotta find it. Also, the home prices down here are suprisingly cheaper than I expected. You can get into a nice 2 br with amenities that they don't offer up north where I am from for around 700. Oh, and if you have children I would recommend Clay county versus duval county schools, Duval isn't the best, but Clay is superior. About a hundred bucks more a month to live in Clay, but worth it, to me. Anyway, heck yes I would definitely move here, with or without a job because as soon as he gets out there and applies himself, he WILL get something. Good luck

Old 07-12-2009, 02:30 AM

6,960 posts, read 7,619,241 times
No problem, tercel. glad you are happy here.

good luck to the OP. if you all can get by on just your salary, then I think it's a safe bet for your husband to move down and then look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville