Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 AM

12 posts, read 21,889 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

So I have been traveling around for the past 2.5 months looking where i want to move. I decided on Jax and have been setting things up to move down. Getting rid of stuff to make the move easier (gotta love ebay and craigs list), u-haul trailer, public storage space till i find an apartment, extended stay hotel for a week so I can look at apartments. I was thinking about renting a room but I think having a place all to myself would be a lot better.

I have decided on the southside/baymeadows area according to friends recommendations.

I am in the IT field and hold a clearance so once down there and settled I will start looking for work. I do have savings so not worried about a job that much.

I love the water so will be doing a lot of jetsking and hanging out at the ocean.

Does this idea sound crazy to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 01:57 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
i have no idea what your situation is now, so......who knows.....

well, i would say that choosing an apartment in the Southside over a Riverside, Avondale, or San Marco is crazy.....but i'm sure others would disagree.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Are those areas better than the southside?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
well, fsu813 is a big advocate of the historic and walkable neighborhoods close to the core, which describes the areas he mentioned. I too favor the historic charm and denser environments, but recognize that plenty of people prefer simple and comfortable suburbia, which would be the southside.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmww View Post

I love the water so will be doing a lot of jetsking and hanging out at the ocean.

Does this idea sound crazy to anyone else?
Not at all

Except for the apartment (had one before moving down) I did the same thing

I had savings to cover 6 to 8 months till I found a job

I live on the Southside/baymeadows area and it is about 15 miles to the ocean
I like area, pretty much close to everything and only 20 25 min to downtown

A lot of places will offer 7 month leases so if you love the place you can move

Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks, all the people I have told are jealous because they say they wish they had the guts to just up and leave...but can't because of job, bills, etc.

Historic is nice but I don't need to live in it. I like the suburbs right outside a city. I live in Northern VA right now, 25 miles outside DC. I like the city but don't like living in one. I like space and places to park, having to fight for those sucks!

Im 30 and do have the savings to cover and extended period without a job.

All i really need is a gym, grocery store, and water (river or beach) and I am happy.

I can't wait to get down there and start a new life.

Thanks for the info guys it is helpful.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
tkmww
there is an extended stay right off of JTB next time I drive by I will get the name
there is also one right at Baymeadows & western way a friend stayed there and said it was fine

Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 PM

238 posts, read 887,410 times
For your location and since you need a gym, you should really check out the Brooks YMCA near that location. It is really nice! Not your typical "Y" at all! Good luck - an adventurous spirit is a real blessing!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Yeah K, I already booked a week at the one in baymeadows. And thanks for the Y info Holly.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 PM

90 posts, read 247,580 times
I left Jax but lived in Mandarin Baymeadows and Riverside...and by far (surprisingly) Baymeadows was my favorite...I can pinpoint it but I just really liked it!! My "artsy friend advised me to move to Riverside..MISTAKE!! I lived right next door to an exconvict felon..and had cockroaches...gross. Around Baymeadows there are so many Indian restaurants (my favorite) parks...I liked it. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville