Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM

12 posts, read 73,182 times

Advertisements

Hi I am in the Navy and thinking of transferring to Jacksonville. Right now I am stationed in WA where it is cold and rainy most of the year so I would like to go to somewhere sunny. I am 25 and single. I enjoy the beaches and riding my motorcycle. I am an E-5 so I make roughly 50K a year. Is Jacksonville a good place for a single male to move to? I would be interested in getting to know alot of new people around my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM

57 posts, read 143,158 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a town where you can stay out all night and party Jax is probably not for you. If you like the beach, warm weather most of the year and doing lots of outside stuff then it would be for you.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,389 times
If you are up in Washington have you thought about Hawaii??? There is a TON of nightlife for single people.......and amazing weather.....oh the weather and the beaches.

We are Navy stationed in Hawaii getting ready to PCS to NAS Jax........

there are alot of motorcycle riding clubs here in hawaii as well........

PM me if you have questions or if you think my husband could answer some for you......

Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 PM

12 posts, read 73,182 times
Yes I have thought about Hawaii. Right now I am deciding between San Diego, Jacksonville, and Hawaii. I have made port visits to Hawaii and enjoy it but am afraid of island fever. Here is some more info on me:

I dont party and drink as much as most single sailors do. As far as bars/clubs go I go maybe 3-4 times a month. I am more interested in outside activities and getting to know more people. How different is Jacksonville then Pensacola? I liked the weather, flat roads, friendly people, and no traffic of Pensacola. The only thing I didnt like about Pensacola is it seemed a little too rural and isolated then what I am used to.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,389 times
we've never been to pensacola......my husband was there for aircrew school but didn't get to know the area well.

hawai has ALOT to do beyond partying though......we hardly ever go downtown to the bars.....there are alot of good restaurants on the beach that you can sit at, eat a good meal, watch the sunset and then walk right out on the beach....

we have been here 12 years and never gotten island fever but some people do. You could easily take a trip to another island to avoid that or take advantage of cheaper airfare to areas like australia, new zealand or japan....

If you like outdoor activities they are non stop in hawaii.....paddleboarding, surfing, snorkeling, hiking, biking, etc....you can do all of that too in Jax....but the weather in hawaii.....oh the weather......we'll miss it like crazy, but are really excited to get over to NAS Jax soon.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 AM

17 posts, read 59,047 times
It sounds to me like you would enjoy San Diego or Hawaii more than Jacksonville. I've been stationed in San Diego, and I have wanted to go back ever since. It rains almost every day here in Jax, usually in the early afternoon. That makes it humid and muggy during the late afternoon and evening. Beaches are ok, but nothing compared to either of the other places. Jacksonville is a very spread out city. You have to drive a long way to get anywhere really.

On the other hand, there is a LOT of history here. There really is still a lot to do, outdoors and there are a few clubs as well. Most of the bars around Jacksonville have a lot of atmosphere and have a "hole-in-the-wall" feel. There are a lot of bike clubs here as well, and then there is always Daytona (BIKE WEEK BABY, YEAH!).

I dunno if I helped you, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions about San Diego or Jacksonville.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 PM

14 posts, read 34,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luchini View Post
Hi I am in the Navy and thinking of transferring to Jacksonville. Right now I am stationed in WA where it is cold and rainy most of the year so I would like to go to somewhere sunny. I am 25 and single. I enjoy the beaches and riding my motorcycle. I am an E-5 so I make roughly 50K a year. Is Jacksonville a good place for a single male to move to? I would be interested in getting to know alot of new people around my age.
Go to Virginia, you are better off. This city is great if you are marry. If youre single and you don't think you have a good game forget it.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luchini View Post
Yes I have thought about Hawaii. Right now I am deciding between San Diego, Jacksonville, and Hawaii. I have made port visits to Hawaii and enjoy it but am afraid of island fever. Here is some more info on me:

I dont party and drink as much as most single sailors do. As far as bars/clubs go I go maybe 3-4 times a month. I am more interested in outside activities and getting to know more people. How different is Jacksonville then Pensacola? I liked the weather, flat roads, friendly people, and no traffic of Pensacola. The only thing I didnt like about Pensacola is it seemed a little too rural and isolated then what I am used to.
You'll like Jacksonville.

Jax is a city, Pensacola is more of a town.

$50k can go MUCH further in jax than San Diego or Hawaii.

Much further.

For young guy, you'd probably enjoy the general Downtown or Beaches areas.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:42 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
If I had those choices I would choose San Diego. I love California.

Sent from my HTC DNA using Tapatalk

Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
You'll like Jacksonville.

Jax is a city, Pensacola is more of a town.

$50k can go MUCH further in jax than San Diego or Hawaii.

Much further.

For young guy, you'd probably enjoy the general Downtown or Beaches areas.

Definitely, JAX is your only choice at that salary. San Diego and Hawaii are both in the very top of the most expensive places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: