U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,434 times

Advertisements

I plan to relocate to Jacksonville from Cincinnati in May/June of 2010. I am in my mid 40's, not really looking for a big party scene, but enjoy arts, museums, theater etc. and some nice activities for my age range. I work in non profit/social services, but not really pressed about a job when I first get there, saving like crazy now and have a couple of months living saved already..

So tell me everything the good, the bad and the ugly!! I do plan to visit a couple of times between now and then and will probably stay in an extended stay hotel until I find the right condo or apartment.

I have done some neighborhood research, mandarin, orange park and downtown; because I like the idea of water and city living..I think I am leaning towards downtown.

I welcome any suggestions you may have!

Last edited by Jax2010; 07-17-2009 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: added more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 11:33 PM

109 posts, read 276,901 times
Having lived both in Cincy (Hyde Park area) and JAX, I definitively would stay in Cincy. Cheaper, safer, better arts, and more varied professional sports. Arts and the museum scene is very weak here. I do not know the job market for social services, but the unemployment rate in Duval county is nearly 10%. I would be cautious about relocating without having good job prospects. Add the San Marco area to your neighborhood list to investigate.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 19,426 times
I was also counting the months when I found out my company had been bought and some of us had to relocate here from Philly in 1999. That was the worse winter ever in anticipation of sunny skies. Be prepared to see some cold weather (no snow) in January and lots of rain in the Summer. You're probably best off going to Riverside or San Marco area. You'll be near the St. Johns river, which is really nice. And there's a taxi boat that will carry you from one bank to another quite inexpensively. Board it at the Jax Landing when you come. Also, be prepared for lots of traffic during rush hour.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 7,401,005 times
Not sure what your budget is, but....

Sounds like you'd like Riverside, Avondale, Springfield, or San Marco the best. These are the 4 Historic neighborhoods that surrond Downtown.

These are historic, established, and unique neighborhoods that are family friendly and popular with young people at the same time. Actaully, they are pretty much popular with every demographic.

These areas are very walkable (ie, you can walk to good cafes, restauarnts, parks, the river, etc) have unique historic architecture and history, and are centrally located surronding the Downtown area (ie, near museums, concerts, sports venues, the river, festivals, art venues, etc). They also have alot of art, music, and unique resturants and businesses.

San Marco is the most expensive generally, though Avondale is about the same. Very nice large homes all well maintained with some very nice parks, the river, and classy commercial areas with in walking distance. Some bungalows too.

Riverside is getting up there in price, though not as expensive as Avondale. (they are situated right next to eachother). Both areas have great parks, the river, unqiue botiques, cafes, festvals, etc with in walking distance of most homes. Lots of large homes and bugalows.

Springfield is the oldest of these (1865) and was in the worst shape, bad area. Now it's pretty much fine with some rough edges, up & coming. For that reason you can get the most for your money by far. The area has nice parks, new dog park, but doesn't have as much commercial business yet (though that is quickly changing), and isn't as finished yet overall. Mostly large houses in this area.

All these neighborhoods have strong community organizations, especially Riverside, Avondale, and Springfield.

The links below are great pictorials to see for yourself (some pics are a couple years old, but all these places have improved, not gotten worse):

San Marco: Metro Jacksonville - Walking San Marco Square: Photo Tour

San Marco: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: Touring San Marco

San Marco: Metro Jacksonville - San Marco: A Walking Oasis in an Unwalkable City

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: Avondale

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Boone Park

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Exploration: The Shoppes of Avondale

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Willowbranch Park

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Riverside Park

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - A Walk through Park & King

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Riverside Arts Market Opens

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Memorial Park

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Park & King Shopping District: Photo Tour

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Northbank Riverwalk

Riverside & Avondale's prominant orgonaization: www.riverside-avondale.com

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Springfield vs. Savannah: Can you tell the difference?

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - A Springfield Photo Tour

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Springfield's Dog Days in the Park

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Springfield Heritage Throwback Baseball: East vs West

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Confederate Park

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Jacksonville's Central Park?

Spirngfield: Three Layers Expands with Wine Bar and Zen Gardens | Jacksonville FL | Metro Jacksonville

Springfield's prominant neigjborhood organization: www.sparcouncil.org

If you are interested, i can recommend a realtor that only works in the Historic neighborhoods and knows them very well. Her website is www.intownjacksonville.com

Old 07-19-2009, 09:51 PM

10,604 posts, read 15,040,690 times
See my posts I just relo'd here. I moved to the Strand but downtown was my preference. If you're a guy downtown would prolly be great. It's nice here, too. you can walk over the bridge or take the boat to downtown also. BUT Riverside is WITHOUT A DOUBT the most convenient. It's Bohemian though, which is fine by me. San Marco is yuppy sorta if you want to distinguish the two. Downtown I cant say I never see people yet I'm told plenty live there. Everything you need is at Riverside except mall type store. But you have the river, a coupla parks, grocery store, restaurants, dry cleaners, drug store everyday normal things that you must get in your car if you live in town or San Marco/South Bank. Not very convenient at all. Even the stupid Wachovia next door to the Strand you cant conveniently bank at. You have to park in the lot on the 6 floor or take the escalator way UP. Doesnt make any sense to me. Like, 30 minutes to go to a bank directly next door lol. If you look at Riverside look at 1616 over Einstien Bagels or there's a rental community Villas of St Johns I think it's called. Kinda high but none of the buildings here are cheap. Start looking far in advance you may get a river view with good planning. Dont take first floor due to flooding in San Marco I''m told.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 11,434 times
Default Wow

FSU 813..I've read other threads you are loaded with info..Thanks

runswithscissors-- I am female, but I think I will like downtown, I will check out riverside..I have actually looked at Strand..Love it, reminds me of where I lived in DC.

Thanks for all of the helpful info.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM

6,999 posts, read 7,640,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax2010 View Post
enjoy arts, museums, theater etc.
The Jacksonville Symphony is an excellent orchestra for the city's size and arguably the best one in the state. But still can't really stand up against Cincinnati's. Nor can the rest of the arts scene. Opera, theater, dance, and museums are far better up in Cincy (speaking on reputation, i dont have the first-hand experience) so be mentally prepared for that.

Anyway, most of that stuff is located in downtown or the surrounding neighborhoods, so if it means a lot to you, that might be a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or